Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frame bench at Iron Hill Restorations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Perry Kiehl Clone
8 years ago I drove over to Kyser, WV to pick up this frame bench, it was about a 1500 mile 3 day banzai run. A little rough, but something to build on.

It had been sitting in another building of mine and we've done some cleaning and moving to make the space for it and the project on the rotisserie. This thing is big and h e a v y!

We've take the casters off the left side to clean them and glue the poly tires on the aluminum wheels.
Perry Kiehl Clone
Click to view attachment
The casters have ball bearings in the swivels, and roller bearing on the wheel shafts. They were totally gunked with dead grease. So we totally removed and disassembled the casters.

Click to view attachment
Sorry for the blurry pic. The brake was rusted to the point of not working

Click to view attachment
The poly tires were loose and wouldn't stay on the aluminum wheels

Perry Kiehl Clone
There are two leveling adjusters that were a little stuck. We had to resort to the acetylene torch, the little propane torch wasn't enough

Click to view attachment
Anyone got a 2 3/16" wrench??

Click to view attachment
You can see the witness marks left by my 2 3/16 socket. This one wasn't too far down the thread, so we could use the impact. The other adjuster was bottomed out, so it took a 18" adjustable wrench to loosen it; a 16" isn't big enough
whitetwinturbo
beer.gif beer.gif serious bench
r_towle
Cool, I am still in the lead. 8 years and you are just cleaning up the frame bench smile.gif I got plenty of time.
rick 918-S
aktion035.gif popcorn[1].gif
11tenths
I've got those same jackstands under my project.

For three years.

- Harry
sixnotfour
Perry , judging by your pallet shelves you must have a fork lift..
I was lucky to get a UNIC strong arm lift with my caroliner bench,,
and ya Ive had mine for a few years .. did a bunch of pulls on my six though.
Mueller
Am I the only one that sees some humor in the fact that you have to restore and fix the bench before you can in order to restore and fix a car.

Can you get new rubber for the wheels? What kind of adhesive are you using?

rick 918-S
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Oct 28 2016, 01:56 PM) *

Perry , judging by your pallet shelves you must have a fork lift..
I was lucky to get a UNIC strong arm lift with my caroliner bench,,
and ya Ive had mine for a few years .. did a bunch of pulls on my six though.

I used to have a UNIC lift when I had my shop. I have this low buck version i built now.
IronHillRestorations
I have a early 70's Hyster H25E which has been a little tank since we got it in 1989.

Mike, I did a cursory search and couldn't easily find tires for the casters so I got a flexible 1 part adhesive that's a lot like "Shoe Goo" It seems to have worked pretty good.
skier2.0
Brings back memory's,I was a Blackhawk distributes in the NE in the 90's. The best way to repair a car on the bench (Blackhawk or Cellette) with fixtures. Do you have the cross beams? or the pulling arm?
IronHillRestorations
I have three cross beams, and 40' of 6" x 2" U channel to make more cross beams. I'm also building fixtures. I don't have a pulling arm. I don't intend to be using it for collision repair.
IronHillRestorations
Four frame stands are the starting point. I went back, forth, and all around on how to to this. I used 2 x 6 U channel, which isn't really flat on the top, but I was able to get the stands to level out. I didn't want to make it this wide, but this has worked out well.
Click to view attachment

Although rusty on the right long, and hell hole, as well as a tap in the door post, this 6 chassis is perfectly straight at all the measurements.
Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
More of the right side

Front pinch weld clamp

Click to view attachment

Both sides

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Left and right railing arm mount brackets

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Rear shock tower brackets

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
Rear cross member bracket

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I made the cross bar removable for access
IronHillRestorations
Next on the build list is a cross member for the frame bench, and then brackets for the steering rack mounting points. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
76-914
That's very nice. There were some hours invested, eh? beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
Sorry about the low res cell phone camera. Yes, lots of time.
cary
Well done ...................
gms
looks nice and solid!
Mueller
Very committed, I like it!
914Sixer
Looking good popcorn[1].gif
jd74914
Looks great!! biggrin.gif
Jeff Hail
Must be 9-10 years since I spoke with you Perry. I called for Porsche parts and get the needle point store. At the moment it seemed odd and a bit funny. Thanks for those pieces I needed.

When you go to replace those casters go here. (and you will).

http://www.castercity.com/pwic.htm#Table - Casters
IronHillRestorations
Thanks Jeff. :smile.gif:
Vysoc
Great web-site for Caster's!!!

Thanks, Jeff

Vysoc flag.gif
rick 918-S
welder.gif aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.