Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Cradles - Your pics and thoughts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NS914
Hey Everyone,
I am looking for your thoughts and pics of course re Engine Cradles you have assembled. I am finishing off the wiring for my car and will assemble the Webers as well and likely do a few other things while it is out. This will likely be a month or two of work and I want to locate my engine on a safe and stable cradle that I can then lift the engine from and reinstall.

I don't think I have seen a thread re cradles so this should be interesting. As always, thanks for your thoughts and ingenuity. Grant
stugray
If you want cheapest, get one or two of the small $10 furniture dollys from harbor freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-In-x-12-In...xMTcyMiJ9%0D%0A

Otherwise get one of the engine stand porsche "engine stand yokes" and a cheap engine stand.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearc...=PEL-TOL-MCDENG
jimkelly
you probably wont lift the engine INTO the car. you will probably lower the car ONTO the engine (wheels off). i second furniture dolly.
barefoot
here's mine, length of 2X12 with cross beam at front under mount bar and notched out 4X4 for tranny.
I could slide my 4 wheel jack under the dolly to lift, had to find the balance point.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Oct 27 2016, 05:41 PM) *

you probably wont lift the engine INTO the car. you will probably lower the car ONTO the engine (wheels off). i second furniture dolly.

Hard way to do it. I did that on my first removal. Sucked! Good quality floor jack and raise engine into place.

Stu, I think he means a cradle for lifting the engine.

Mark Henry
I use a scissor lift table like in the link below.
You just need a 2x4 across the engine bar and a block to level the tranny. Only PITA is you have to remove the handle...no big deal
But I also use a two-post lift, so my car is level and I have no issues with the car not being high enough.

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capaci...cart-61405.html

IPB Image
NS914
Thanks Guys,

My plan is to use the cradle as a stable platform assemble the curbs and generally store the engine until I am finished with the wiring and other work in the engine bay.

I have used my trolley jack to lower it down out of the car in the past and that works with little trouble.

Thanks for the follow up and pics. I will post as I get into it. Grant
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 28 2016, 02:17 AM) *

I use a scissor lift table like in the link below.
You just need a 2x4 across the engine bar and a block to level the tranny. Only PITA is you have to remove the handle...no big deal
But I also use a two-post lift, so my car is level and I have no issues with the car not being high enough.

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capaci...cart-61405.html

IPB Image

I also used the Harbor Freight hydraulic table. Worked like a charm with and without the exhaust mounted on the engine. It made this a one man job and no issues of the engine getting away from you. Had to jack up the car to get the proper height so I could wheel the engine in place. HB table is 9" high to the bed about the same for a jack system. I've used a hyd jack before on my 1st 914 engine pull years ago and that was NOT fun.

As for building the engine up from the short block I used the small Harbor Freight engine stand. Had to do a little grinding on the mounting bosses to keep them from crushing the tranny mounting flange but that part was easy.
stugray
Every time I have installed an engine, I have use Just a floor jack.

Roll the engine under the car on the furniture dollies or slide it on a few layers of cardboard or plywood.
Then lift up one side at a time (using the engine mount bar) and place on a block tall enough to get the floor jack under.
Do both sides, then lift the rear and roll the floor jack under.
There is a square Aluminum block that juts out from the case right at the back of the case. place the floorjack under that and lift.

Back when I was young and strong, I could do this entire process alone.
Now I use a helper to steady the engine as I raise it.

You may have to get the engine under the car, then lower the jackstands for the FJ to reach unless you have a tall FJ.
euro911
I also use the Harbor Fright hydraulic tables aktion035.gif

You just remove the handle bar so it will fit under the car. Some day, I hope to fab a hinge system for the handle bar to make it quicker to activate up and down instead of removing it.
74ravenna
Does anyone know the weight of a T4 with Transmission attached?
Thinking about the HF Lift, just want to make sure I buy the correct one.

Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.