Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relay board removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
Do I need the engine compartment relay board anymore?

My 914 started life as a '71 1.7. Now it's a 2.7 with Webers, headers, Permatune CD box and breaker points.

I'd like to clean up the engine compartment as much as possible.

Thanks

Eddie
914GT
Eddie, you don't need it as long as you reconnect the lines you need that routed through the board. The ignition switch wire and tach signal for example. I'd have to look at the wiring diagrams again as I don't remember as there might be some more. If you have a rear defroster in your window, you'll lose the relay for that which is located on the board. Also your heater blower motor.
Gary
The relay board has relays for the ECU, fuel pump, heater blower, and rear defroster. You don't need the ECU and probably the defroster. You can wire relays directly for the blower and fuel pump. If your alternator has an internal regulator, you can bypass the volatge regulator too. There are plugs that fit the wiring harness (928 part number as I recall) if you want to keep the wiring harness. I wired up the fuel pump and blower directly with spade connectors to generic Bosch relays. Cleaned up the engine compartment considerably...
Steve
I did the same thing when I did my 3.2 conversion.
I bought the opposite connector for the one that plugs into the relay board and made a new harness.
I also used spade connectors and created my own heater relay.
The fuel pump relay is part of the 3.2 dme so I didn't have to worry about that one.
I also didn't have a rear window defroster to worry about it.
Mueller
There are plugs that fit the wiring harness (928 part number as I recall) if you want to keep the wiring harness.

Would this connector go in between the stock connectors and mate the 2 or directly or will wiring inside the connectors have to be re-pinned?

Cap'n Krusty
Using the male counterpart of the female plug should work fine, if you don't need the relays. Personally, I'd keep the board for the functions used in the 911 engine compartment. Nice to have a relay for the fuel pump, and the voltage regulator is nice and secure where it is. Covered with the stock cover, it makes a nice junction box. Oh, BTW, best have a AAA Premier card to go along with that Permadoom ignition box. You'll need it. The Cap'n
IronHillRestorations
More than likely your 2.7 has an alternator that requires a external voltage regulator, which is wired through the board. You can mount the voltage regulator separately though.

I've removed the relay board and brackets on the last three six conversions I've done. It does clean up the engine compartment. I did add a couple of Bosch relays, but I located them below the stock CD box bracket.

There is a 911 14 pin male connector that will plug right into the factory plug at the chassis harness. It's nearly tripled in price in the last three years, it's right a $42, IIRC. Got 'em in stock if you need one.
Mueller
QUOTE (9146986 @ May 6 2005, 07:45 AM)
More than likely your 2.7 has an alternator that requires a external voltage regulator, which is wired through the board. You can mount the voltage regulator separately though.

I've removed the relay board and brackets on the last three six conversions I've done. It does clean up the engine compartment. I did add a couple of Bosch relays, but I located them below the stock CD box bracket.

There is a 911 14 pin male connector that will plug right into the factory plug at the chassis harness. It's nearly tripled in price in the last three years, it's right a $42, IIRC. Got 'em in stock if you need one.

Perry,

How does the connector work?

Do the wires need to be cut and re-soldered on one end?

I thought the factory connectors are female??

For me, I ditching the factory relay board and going with an aftermarket unit....has 3 relays, 1 of which is for operating a fast idle solenoid, 1 for the fuel pump and the other is for the fuel injection brain....it also has 4 on board fuses which is nice.

Root_Werks
I removed the relay board on my six conversion recently. It wasn't that hard at all. I used a 911 14pin connector (Used one). Mounted the volt reg on the wall and opted for no fuel pump relay. It's really nice and clean. Eddie, with your 914 being mostly a track car, I would say it would be a good move. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.