Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove axle from rear control arm
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kaiserms
[size=6]

I removed the rear swing axles from my '73 914 to replace
the bushings & wheel bearing and have powder coated. I have
torched out 95% of the old rubber bushings but still can't budge
the axle that goes through the center of the control arm.

Do I need a stronger torch? Been using small cannister camp stove
for torch fuel.

Need some clear advice,

Thanks,
Kaiser
bdstone914
QUOTE(kaiserms @ Oct 28 2016, 08:52 PM) *

[size=6]

I removed the rear swing axles from my '73 914 to replace
the bushings & wheel bearing and have powder coated. I have
torched out 95% of the old rubber bushings but still can't budge
the axle that goes through the center of the control arm.

Do I need a stronger torch? Been using small cannister camp stove
for torch fuel.

Need some clear advice,

Thanks,
Kaiser

Use a shop press of a cheap gear puller from Harbor Freight. Clamp it on the flange. I knocked out 5 of them tonight. Replaced the threaded rod with one about 14" and just drive the pivot shaft out. Added a VW bus nut nut threaded onto the pivot shaft to keep the threaded rod centered on the pivot shaft. It does help to heat the metal until the rubber starts to smoke. If the shaft is badly rusted on the ends it is hard to push them through the rubber bushing. Push it one way a little and it if is bulged with rust grind it down and push it back the other way.
kaiserms
BD,
I keep trying to say thanks. Can't get this message system wired.
Question:
Did you double nut the 14" shaft onto the existing threads of the bolt in the control arm?
Kaiser
bdstone914
I put a open end lug nut on the pivot shaft to kep the driving threaded shaft from drifting off. Also use grease on the end of the rod and on the threads of the shaft.
bdstone914
I just saw you are from Waterford MI. That is where i grew up. Not nany 914s left around there.
So we are like 914 brothers. LOL
kaiserms

It is Bruce, right?
Ok, guess that makes sense now. Thought that's what you did. Now i can
just source out the gear puller or line up a press. Thanks.

So, we swapped states. I was born in L.A. & raised in Anaheim. Never cared much
for Southern Cal. My best times were spent with Porsche Owners Club. They were
the real racing club. Ran Willow Springs, Laguna and Riverside many times.

Ironically, race tracks are now much closer. I have trusty old Waterford Hill and the
brand new M-1 Concours track in Pontiac on Woodward, both within 5 min of my
house in Waterford. You're right about 914's. When I went to the PCA day to observe
the PCA guys said they had not seen a 914 out at the track for years. Guess I'll
just have to go show these GT-3 guys how to drive!

Take Care
Kaiser
Amphicar770
If you burn out enough of the bushing the shaft will essentially fall out. It takes a lot to burn them out. I used a propane torch and just propped it up so it kept heat on the bushings. As it started disintegrating I would move away the burnt bits with a screwdriver. Press would have been quicker but it eventually got the job done.

Make sure that they do not powdercoat the area where the new bushings insert. It is a very tight fit as is.
kaiserms
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Oct 31 2016, 08:29 AM) *

If you burn out enough of the bushing the shaft will essentially fall out. It takes a lot to burn them out. I used a propane torch and just propped it up so it kept heat on the bushings. As it started disintegrating I would move away the burnt bits with a screwdriver. Press would have been quicker but it eventually got the job done.

Make sure that they do not powdercoat the area where the new bushings insert. It is a very tight fit as is.

Thank you Amphicar,
I thought I could step up the amps from my camp burner.
I have access to a gear puller so I may still resort to that.
Also, thanks for the reminder on the powder coating. I was
concerned about that too.
I have an old race buddy that has an Amphicar. Those have
got to be going up in value by now?
Kaiser
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.