Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mxdude914
It has done this a few times the fuel pump will just shut off in mid-drive then it wont come back on and usually i just try it a few times then it comes back on but not this time luckily i live in the country and i pushed it 1.5 miles home. Anyone know what could be causing this, also the fuel pump is new and it was relocted to the front of the car. Btw i am in highschool and have been thinking this is not the most reliable car, would it be smart to trade it in for like a later 944 or something of that nature, also if you have any car you might want to trade list it plz. The car is a Phoenix red 1973 2.0
TravisNeff
Sounds like your relay board needs some help. The ECU tells the fuel pump when to run - but it has to pass through the relay board to do so. The tar under the board can come loose and the connections behind it are at risk. Unless you have carbs and are running the pump off the coil or something - that is the first place I would look. You can scrape the tar off and resolder the connections.
mxdude914
I looked at that already i just dont want to mess up the tar because it is in perfect shape. Should i just take it off anyways?
TravisNeff
If your pump is good/new as you say, wiring is good - double check your work after your relocation (check that first), then hit the relay board. You can get some other material to cover it back up. That board will work without any tar on it - go for it. You have FI, right?
mxdude914
Ya i have stock f.i. on it. Tomorrow ill check the pump itself and do a bench test to see if its faulty then ill move on to the relay board. What do you think about my other question though, would a 944 be better for me since this will be a car driven to and from highschool every day.
Trekkor
Check the relay itself and the socket. the pins get corroded all the time.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.