Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil filter leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Localboy808
What am I missing here? Is this a known issue on these motors? When I bought this car it did not leak in this location. Did a service on the oil and replaced the filter which was a Mahle. Tried a Bosh that I could get locally. It leaked. Tried to tighten it a bit more and then it really leaked!! Thought that was odd. Thought maybe it had a defective seal. Bought a STP filter and replaced the Bosch. Still leaking!! Anyone have an issue like this?
sb914
i put a little oil on the rubber seal before installing it.
Localboy808
QUOTE(sb914 @ Oct 29 2016, 01:12 PM) *

i put a little oil on the rubber seal before installing it.

Yup. I always do that. Didn't help. sad.gif
Bartlett 914
Are you sure the old gasket or part of are still stuck on the filter mount?
bdstone914
Is theoil filterasket the same size?
bandjoey
Used the bosch for years with no leaks. Sounds like something is keeping the seal from being flat ?? Or the wrong part number filter?
Localboy808
Surface looked clean. Unfortunately I threw away the Mahle filter before I noticed the leaking. So I can't compare the seal sizes. I'm going to get under there tomorrow and look at it better. Unless it's just bad timing and the leak is coming from somewhere else. But it has to be from the filter. I'll let you guys know what I find. Sounds like this is NOT a common problem.
TheCabinetmaker
And just why does it "have" to be the filter?
Localboy808
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 29 2016, 03:18 PM) *

Well. It's dripping down the sides of the filter. Never had a leak before the filter change. I guess anything is possible. But it would be really coincidental if another leak developed in that area at the same time I replaced the filter.
RenoRoger
QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Oct 29 2016, 01:41 PM) *

Well. It's dripping down the sides of the filter. Never had a leak before the filter change. I guess anything is possible. But it would be really coincidental if another leak developed in that area at the same time I replaced the filter.

I had the same problem and thought it was the new filter. After closer inspection, I found that the oil running down the sides of the filter came from the oil cooler.

RenoRoger.
Localboy808
QUOTE(RenoRoger @ Oct 29 2016, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Oct 29 2016, 01:41 PM) *

I had the same problem and thought it was the new filter. After closer inspection, I found that the oil running down the sides of the filter came from the oil cooler.

RenoRoger.

I'm not ruling anything out. I'll inspect it better tomorrow. But thanks. That is right above it. Hope that's not it! If it is it would be crazy timing!
Localboy808
Well. Looks like it IS the oil cooler! From the location of the dripping I'm guessing it's one of the seals. Crazy timing! Hopefully it isn't the cooler itself.
ndfrigi
I have used few different oil filter but haven't had a problem with them. I was thinking that when you did the first oil filter change, you didn't notice that you moved/touched the oil cooler and it makes the oil cooler seal leak. Or maybe just need to be tighten. Hope just the seal!
Localboy808
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Oct 31 2016, 11:24 AM) *

I have used few different oil filter but haven't had a problem with them. I was thinking that when you did the first oil filter change, you didn't notice that you moved/touched the oil cooler and it makes the oil cooler seal leak. Or maybe just need to be tighten. Hope just the seal!

Yeah. No I never touched the oil cooler. And the old filter was dry. No signs of a leak. I never had any drip marks on my garage floor. Right after changing the oil and filter I noticed a pretty bad leak after the first drive. Oil dripping down the sides of the filter. I righted it a bit more figuring maybe it was loose or needed to be tighter. The leak got worse! So I thought well maybe I got a bad seal? So threw another filter on there. Leak was less but still there. Then I finally see above the filter where it's dripping right onto the filter itself. headbang.gif I tightened the two nuts that mount the cooler and it slowed down the leak quite a bit. So I'm hoping it's just the seals. I'll tackle that job next weekend. Just a crazy coincidence it seems.
larss
The oil pressure might have gone up a little bit with the fresh oil making the leak occur (especially if you went to a heavier grade or if it was cold at the 1st start)....just trying to guess why the leak came with the oil change...

Lars S
Localboy808
QUOTE(larss @ Oct 31 2016, 01:54 PM) *

The oil pressure might have gone up a little bit with the fresh oil making the leak occur (especially if you went to a heavier grade or if it was cold at the 1st start)....just trying to guess why the leak came with the oil change...

Lars S

Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. I'm sure all he seals on this motor need to be done. I have a feeling it's sat for awhile. Hoping not to have to pull it for awhile.
larss
Had the same leak at the oil cooler on one of my engines a couple of years ago, it was just one season after a rebuid...luckily theese seals can be changed with the engine still in the car even if its thight. Worked well and no leak since.

Lars S
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Oct 29 2016, 03:41 PM) *

The oil filter console is also right above the filter mounted to the case.

Yes. The old seals can leak after setting for extended periods. Over tightening the filter will destroy the seal. 3/4 turn only from where
the seal contacts the console.
Localboy808
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 31 2016, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Localboy808 @ Oct 29 2016, 03:41 PM) *

The oil filter console is also right above the filter mounted to the case.

Yes. The old seals can leak after setting for extended periods. Over tightening the filter will destroy the seal. 3/4 turn only from where
the seal contacts the console.

Yes. I'm pretty sure the leak is coming from the cooler itself now. With a bright light and the engine running I was able to look up above the filter and it appears the leak is dripping from between the filter and the case. And yes. That is how I tightened the filter. 3/4 turn after seal meets the adapters surface.
Localboy808
QUOTE(larss @ Oct 31 2016, 03:11 PM) *

Had the same leak at the oil cooler on one of my engines a couple of years ago, it was just one season after a rebuid...luckily theese seals can be changed with the engine still in the car even if its thight. Worked well and no leak since.

Lars S

Thanks for the info. Yep. Already ordered the seals and found the thread about using some grease and a long screwdriver to install the seals without dropping the motor. Looks tight but not too bad. Wish me luck!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.