Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need HELP! with rear Bilstein shock replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flypfi
I have searched everywhere and can't find anything on this issue... including in my conversations with Pelican parts where I bought new Bilstein shocks for my '76 914 rear end. So please excuse the redundancy if this has already been addressed.

The old shocks were the original Boge. When I removed the top spring shock plate, there was an orange rubber donut that is apparently some sort of shock pad that sits under the shock plate and slides down to a shoulder on the threaded end of the shock shaft. See photos. One side - shown in the photo - was still intact, but the other side had completely disintegrated, leaving only the steel washer that was originally vulcanized into the orange rubber donut. No one seems to know the name or part number for this part, or if it is even necessary when replacing the Boge (seems to be a Boge only part?) with Bilstien shocks. Does anyone know what to use in lieu of this part if you can't replace it, or isn't necessary with the Bilstein replacement?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks for your help!!
914Sixer
It is a NLA rubber snubber bushing that was needed on hydraulic shocks. Not need for gas shocks. You DO need to put the washer part back on the shock assembly to get the height right for the assembly though.

At one point 914Rubber was looking into making them.
flypfi
OK, I understand the washer, once removed from the rubber snubber, will seat up inside the upper shock plate to provide the correct height, but only the edge of the washer will contact the inside of the shock plate... is that correct? Doesn't seem like a very secure connection since only the edge of the washer makes contact...
flypfi
Never mind... I mis-judged the diameter of the washer... it actually fits flush up inside the upper shock plate. Thanks anyway~
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.