Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: The Job is Done
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RangerRhett
I pulled the heads off of my 1997 Ford Mustang 3.8 L V6 - woot -

It is slower than snot but it has been a good car. Except for the occasional blown head gasket smile.gif

Ford dealer: Give me $1700 to fix it
Me: NO!
Ford Dealer: It is a big job and you won't be able to do it yourself..
Me: Eat Me!

Anyway...I am more than a little bit pleased that the car is back together and functioning properly....

RangerRhett
pic of the gasket between the cooling port and the cylinder
BMartin914
I like your attitude...

Hey Ford Dealer finger.gif

monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif monkeydance.gif
maf914
Was there any warping of the head? Sometimes with a leaking head gasket the head will see some high temps and need to be surfaced as a result. It happened to a Mazda 626 I owned.

BTW, Congradulations on a good job! smilie_pokal.gif
TheCabinetmaker
What Mike said. Especially if the head is aluminum.
aircooledboy
I don't know about the head, but it sure looks like the reactor is leaking radiation into your cylinders.

chairfall.gif happy11.gif monkeydance.gif
Brett W
Congrats.

THe Ford 3.8 has a history of blowing head gaskets. Ford is actually in a lawsuit over it from the Taurus owners. My old man had one let go at 60K on a 93 Tortise.
dinomium
Hey, wotz dat green stuff?
HA!
I always have had my heads at least checked before re assemble... Early signs of Dick Writes' syndrome

Get busy!
happy11.gif
sean_v8_914
congrats!!!
RangerRhett
Dudes,

You guys want to hear somthing messed up. I drove the 914 for about 6 days while the 'Stang was under the garage. After I got back in my Mustang, I realized how much that car sucks...

Anyone own a Boxter as a daily driver idea.gif

Haha,

Rhett
maf914
QUOTE (Brett W @ Apr 21 2005, 06:38 AM)
THe Ford 3.8 has a history of blowing head gaskets. Ford is actually in a lawsuit over it from the Taurus owners. My old man had one let go at 60K on a 93 Tortise.

Brett, Is the problem shoddy head gaskets or shoddy block and heads?

Tortoise...that's good! laugh.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (vsg914 @ Apr 21 2005, 08:05 AM)
What Mike said. Especially if the head is aluminum.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

we had to trash an engine recently on one of my dad's pickups because the heads warped... '

I like your attitude... the dealers think no one can work on car except them... screwy.gif flipa.gif
jhadler
QUOTE (RangerRhett @ Apr 21 2005, 02:41 PM)

Anyone own a Boxter as a daily driver idea.gif

Haha,

Rhett

Actually, I have a friend who does have a Boxter as a daily driver, and he's selling it to get an SC. He said he needs a more reliable car... laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.