Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! Is anybody there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
The big day arrived. Went to the garage to do the final electrical hook up, pull the plugs, and spin my 19 year-old fresh 2.0. Plan was to static check timing, spin the engine and take a compression check, then fire it up and begin the break-in. When I touched the ground cable to the battery terminal the starter spins (does not engage since no power to solenoid). What is wrong? Now that I think about it there is always power in the positive cable to the starter. Why is it powering the starter motor? The engine with starter in place has been sitting since 1984. Ideas please!
Gint
Ignition switch shorted? Solenoid shorted?

All those teeners Jim, do you have another starter laying around?
Porsche Rescue
I don't have one handy but could probably beg one from Craig. While I think of it, where does the yellow wire connect on the solenoid? I see to male spade terminals, one up, one down. Not sure I have the wire on the correct one. Tried both, starter still spins like crazy (ignition is off, key is out).
Rouser
The (+) cable going to the starter is connected to the wrong post on the solenoid, effectively bypassing the solenoid completely. Touch the cable to the (+) battery post, and the starter spins on its own.

Try using this pic as a guide:
Porsche Rescue
Rouser, the pic seems to answer the question about the yellow wire. I appears to be connected to the upper spade terminal (not sure what the lower spade is for). My battery + cable goes to the outer terminal as in the picture. The other large terminal has the short bare copper connection to the starter.
Porsche Rescue
Here's how things look-- + cable and alternator wire to outer terminal. Yellow ignition wire to upper spade terminal.
Porsche Rescue
Damn, this is frustrating! So close yet so far. I have been waiting about a year to see what I have for an engine. It is a 2.0 that was completely overhauled at a local VW shop in 1984. I have receipts (total of $1600 in the good old days). Never seen oil until I put it in yesterday.
I am thinking the problem has to be in the solenoid since the juice would have to be getting through it to get to the starter motor. It's acting like the two large terminals are bridged. Tried tapping it with a hammer but nothing changed. Guess I should remove it and take a look.
mr914
Pull the yellow wire to the solenoid. If it tries to start it's the starter.

Otherwise check upstream from the yellow wire. Relay board, switch etc...

Good luck. A Chambers never gets defeated on a 914...

Kchambers
Dave_Darling
The flag terminals are all the same, electrically.

Pull the yellow wire off the starter. Tape it so it won't touch metal. Hook up the battery. Does the starter still try to crank?

Check the yellow wire for +12V. If it has that, check the relay board connections. You can, if you try, plug one or both the 12-pin and 14-pin connectors in "off by one". (Lots of weird things happen if you do that...)

If that's kosher, check the yellow wire at the front of the relay board to see if it also has +12V. Unplug the 12-pin connector at the rear of the board.

...And so on. You should be able to find the cross-connection somewhere in there.

--DD
mr914
Thanks Dave for explaining more thourghly.

I always appreciate someone who acutally goes into the details

Kudos. beerchug.gif
Porsche Rescue
Think I solved it. Disconnected battery and used the trusty ohm meter to check continuity between the two large solenoid terminals. Bingo, as suspected there was continuity when there should not have been. Pulled starter and removed solenoid. The "push-pull" rod was not hooked over the arm which engages the starter gear (and acts as a switch for the starter I think). Put it back together. No continuity so I hooked up the battery. All quiet. Tried key and starter engaged properly. Next problem, wouldn't turn over. Took plugs out. Still turns real slow. Battery may be low so I will charge overnight. If it still turns slow tomorrow I will probably try some Marvel Mystery oil through the plug holes. Suspect things are a bit tight after sitting for 19 years! Thanks for all the quick help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.