Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What will happen if I put in a 73 MPS in 74 car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sofi2t81
Hello D -Jet experts,

I searched this forum, rennlist pages, an some other internet sides but I found no clear answer.

My 74 MPS is leaking (Bosch No 043) but I got a perfect 73 replacements (Bosch No 037).
I know it is not the right part and that the 73 has a special MPS, ECU and Head Sensor.
But even on Paul Anders page was no description what will happen.
So my question.

What will happen if I put it in the car?
Will ist run rich, lean, less power, stumbling??.

I know that you can let them readjust at Bosch Automobile tradition or at other places (Hallo Volker, bekommst gleich ne Mail...)
But as the parts are rare I hesitate a little bit.

Regards

Peter
cary
QUOTE(sofi2t81 @ Oct 30 2016, 04:19 AM) *

Will it run rich, lean, less power, stumbling??.

My guess is. All of the above. The car isn't going to blow up.
I hate to tell you, lots of cars are running mis-matched components.

I'd run the #037 and send your #043 off to get fixed. If your only ever going to do one repair it's best to just send if off.

I'm sure Brad or Jeff will chime in later this am and give you all the technical info.
pbanders
QUOTE(cary @ Oct 30 2016, 05:44 AM) *

I'd run the #037 and send your #043 off to get fixed. If your only ever going to do one repair it's best to just send if off.

I'm sure Brad or Jeff will chime in later this am and give you all the technical info.

I guess it's true that I didn't explain exactly what would happen for each possible combination of mis-matched components, so here it is - you might encounter problems smile.gif , but like Cary said, the car won't blow up.

Cary's advice is sound, put in the 037 and get your 043 fixed. I definitely wouldn't try to do any adjustments to the 037, and about the only thing you can do otherwise if you find it running rich or lean is to adjust the fuel pressure up or down a few psi. Install it and see what happens, it'll work out.

Dr-DJet
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 30 2016, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Oct 30 2016, 05:44 AM) *

I guess it's true that I didn't explain exactly what would happen for each possible combination of mis-matched components, so here it is - you might encounter problems smile.gif , but like Cary said, the car won't blow up.

Cary's advice is sound, put in the 037 and get your 043 fixed. I definitely wouldn't try to do any adjustments to the 037, and about the only thing you can do otherwise if you find it running rich or lean is to adjust the fuel pressure up or down a few psi. Install it and see what happens, it'll work out.

Hi Peter,

as you have also asked that question in my forum, I put a link here.

I compared both curves, I could retune an 037 to become like a 043. That is quite some effort to do. You have to question yourself whether it is really meaningful. What if the diaphragem in the used 037 tears in near future? Then whole process has to be redone.

Best regards, Dr-DJet
sofi2t81
Thanks for the comments.

As winter is starting to come this is a project for the next year.
Your advice is right get the 043 repaired is the way to go.

My wife got me a D-Jet Seminar at Bosch for my birthday, maybe they can answer the question. I'm working in engine development so it's a question of personal and professional interest. biggrin.gif

The other possibility is to swap the brain too. I have one but then I have the wrong Temp. sensor. headbang.gif

Dr-DJet
QUOTE(sofi2t81 @ Oct 30 2016, 05:29 PM) *

Thanks for the comments.

My wife got me a D-Jet Seminar at Bosch for my birthday, maybe they can answer the question. I'm working in engine development so it's a question of personal and professional interest. biggrin.gif

The other possibility is to swap the brain too. I have one but then I have the wrong Temp. sensor. headbang.gif

Hi,

I also do D-Jetronic workshops with hands on practice. Last one was in Erlangen, Germany with 15 cars. Next one will be in May 2017.
pbanders
QUOTE(sofi2t81 @ Oct 30 2016, 08:29 AM) *

Thanks for the comments.

I would be very interested in some detailed feedback about that Bosch D-Jet Seminar you're attending. I'd love to go, but it's a bit far for me, maybe tie it into the next vacation trip to Europe, but I'd love to hear what they cover. Maybe you could prod them for details on the history of how the developed specific MPS's and ECU's for each application. Thanks....!
nordfisch
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 30 2016, 08:41 PM) *

I would be very interested in some detailed feedback about that Bosch D-Jet Seminar you're attending. I'd love to go, but it's a bit far for me, maybe tie it into the next vacation trip to Europe, but I'd love to hear what they cover. Maybe you could prod them for details on the history of how the developed specific MPS's and ECU's for each application. Thanks....!

Hi Brad,
some users at our D-Jet-forum at oldtimer.tips have already visited such a seminar.
You can book it at Bosch directly - it isn't very expensive in my opinion. About 150 US$.
Here you can see some details: http://www.bosch-automotive-tradition.com/...hulungen_1.html

But oldtimer.tips makes another - non-commercial meeting, cause we are hobbyists. See below.

It is quite difficult nowadays to find persons that are still living AND INTERESTED IN TELLING ABOUT the D-Jet-era.

The best contacts has - I believe - Joerg H Knapp, a Volvo guy. His site is http://www.v1800.org/index.php/en/servicin...d-jetronic.html

We hold the contact and tells us, when we found out something interesting about the D-Jet-system.

I know he had the contact to a former higher Bosch engineer (development), gave us some information - but I dont' know how the contact developed.

----

Next year is 50th anniversary of the D-Jetronic.
We don't know anything about a Celebration by Bosch - but we - the active members of oldtimer.tips - will make a convention, for sure.

We had one in 2016: https://oldtimer.tips/de/forum2/hinweise-un...n-erlangen#3980

Some 914-ers are in the forum, but not a single one came... maybe next year?

Here some impressions out of 2016: https://oldtimer.tips/de/workshop/galerie-public

Regards
Norbert
sofi2t81
Sounds like a plan.

We will see. I hope the date is ok for me.

Regards Peter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.