Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for info on recovering targa bar pad
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rpc
I'm getting ready to recover the targa bar pad off my '73 2.0. Doesn't look too terribly hard, but I'm sure I'd benefit from prior experience. I didn't find any threads via search, but could be my search terms were off, so any pointers appreciated.

Any suggestions on vinyl? I have some left over from doing the interior on my '73 911 that I was thinking of using, but not sure it's the best match.

Any specific lessons learned on technique? One area I'm curious about is the slot where it fits on the targa bar itself. If the new covering wraps into the slot, will it be too tight to fit over the targa bar?

Comments appreciated.
914Sixer
914Rubber is in the process of making new ones. Not sure of the progress, maybe Mark will chime in.
ConeDodger
I have an interior shop looking in to actually repairing and refinishing mine in the same thin vinyl as stock. I had actually asked them to cover it in vinyl as you are talking about but they think they can repair it. Stay tuned!
rpc
Mark, thanks for the lead. Even though it's likely to cost more than I'm willing to spend (at least without giving repair a shot), it's good to have all the options.

Rob, any more details? What's the condition of your pad? Are they going to fill the cracks and then try to match the grain pattern, or something else? Did you (or they) have a vinyl picked out?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rpc @ Oct 30 2016, 01:13 PM) *

Mark, thanks for the lead. Even though it's likely to cost more than I'm willing to spend (at least without giving repair a shot), it's good to have all the options.

Rob, any more details? What's the condition of your pad? Are they going to fill the cracks and then try to match the grain pattern, or something else? Did you (or they) have a vinyl picked out?

I have no cracks really. Just a flare in the vinyl and foam in the top center side. I will post about it in my thread if and when it works out. Otherwise, my plan A had been to buy 914rubber reproductions when they come available.
boxstr
I have an upholstery person who has been doing them for me for five years now. They look excellent and the vinyl is a very very good match. $225. With your pad,
Craig at CAMP
keely444
I just picked up a pad I had recovered for my 74. I paid $80. to recover. There are certain vinyls that stretch in 2 directions instead of 1. That will produce the best results. All I have to do is cut out the screw holes with an exacto knife blade and install the screw covers. I am having the 2 vertical pads done next week. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
rpc
QUOTE(boxstr @ Oct 30 2016, 05:14 PM) *

I have an upholstery person who has been doing them for me for five years now. They look excellent and the vinyl is a very very good match. $225. With your pad,
Craig at CAMP

Craig, can you share his source for the vinyl? I've no doubt the guy does a good job, but I'd still like to give this a shot and see how it comes out. The pad's not in bad shape, just the usual cracks (at every screw hole) and a bit rough at the corners.
Localboy808
QUOTE(keely444 @ Oct 30 2016, 04:15 PM) *

I just picked up a pad I had recovered for my 74. I paid $80. to recover. There are certain vinyls that stretch in 2 directions instead of 1. That will produce the best results. All I have to do is cut out the screw holes with an exacto knife blade and install the screw covers. I am having the 2 vertical pads done next week. Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

That looks great! More info in this vinyl please!
Mikey914
There are several brands of stretchable vinyls readily available. The biggest problem is not one matches the OEM pattern. This is way we are proceeding with making these. We have one very large project that will be wrapping up in about 15 days (many of you will want it)
These are the next item in the cue.
Mark
JoeD
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 1 2016, 12:59 PM) *

There are several brands of stretchable vinyls readily available. The biggest problem is not one matches the OEM pattern. This is way we are proceeding with making these. We have one very large project that will be wrapping up in about 15 days (many of you will want it)
Mark

Mark,

Will you be doing all the pieces- targa bar pad, a- and b-pillar pieces too? Whatever it is, I'll take it...!

JD
Mikey914
The roll bar piece is the primary target here. All of them seem to have cracks. This is why we started with sub components (the screw covers). As soon as I can recover some of the very large tooling expense on the mystery items I will be able to proceed forward with these.
Mark

We may do the sides if there is enough demand,
mepstein
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 1 2016, 01:21 PM) *

The roll bar piece is the primary target here. All of them seem to have cracks. This is why we started with sub components (the screw covers). As soon as I can recover some of the very large tooling expense on the mystery items I will be able to proceed forward with these.
Mark

agree.gif they are all cracked, worn on the edges or crazy expensive and the 45 year old part is probably going to crack soon. I'm a buyer for a couple when they're ready.
rpc
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 1 2016, 12:59 PM) *

Mark

Mark, any guidance on pricing? E.g., do you have an NTE (not to exceed) target?
7TPorsh
hmmm....what's this mystery item....
Mikey914
These will definable be less than $350
Should be closer to $260
boxstr
Richard, PM sent.
Craig at CAMP
porschetub
QUOTE(rpc @ Oct 31 2016, 02:56 AM) *

I'm getting ready to recover the targa bar pad off my '73 2.0. Doesn't look too terribly hard, but I'm sure I'd benefit from prior experience. I didn't find any threads via search, but could be my search terms were off, so any pointers appreciated.

Any suggestions on vinyl? I have some left over from doing the interior on my '73 911 that I was thinking of using, but not sure it's the best match.

Any specific lessons learned on technique? One area I'm curious about is the slot where it fits on the targa bar itself. If the new covering wraps into the slot, will it be too tight to fit over the targa bar?

Comments appreciated.

You need vinyl that is multi direction as in no weave bonded to the other side,you can do any compound curves you like and it works great as you need no sewed seams,don't know where u buy it however.
My roll bar trim and front windscreen trims are leather and look original and people have told me that's nonsense,but I have them.
euro911
QUOTE(keely444 @ Oct 30 2016, 02:15 PM) *
I just picked up a pad I had recovered for my 74. I paid $80. to recover. There are certain vinyls that stretch in 2 directions instead of 1. That will produce the best results. All I have to do is cut out the screw holes with an exacto knife blade and install the screw covers. I am having the 2 vertical pads done next week.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Nice drooley.gif ... PM sent type.gif
rpc
I agree that having vinyl that stretches in both directions makes recovering doable. The 911 door vinyl I have from Auto International looks to be the right pattern, but is too thick, and only stretches in one direction. Not really an option.

Still looking for a good vinyl to use.
McMark
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Nov 1 2016, 01:16 PM) *

Factory grain vinyl gimp suits. All the other reproductions are too shiny. It's gonna be the ultimate car-matching driving suit!

IPB Image
76-914
Mark, put me down for one, too. Kent beerchug.gif
yeahmag
I might try some of these to recover some of the cracked parts I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Morbern-Black-Allspo...h/dp/B00AQO22XI
rpc
Aaron, looks like that will work. Of course, the finish is different from the original. When I looked at that one I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Stretch-Uphols...F6CCNMPRVSJFGD8

The pattern looks more correct. It's only two-way stretch, but looks thin (aka cheap) enough that it could probably be stretched fairly well even in the "non-stretch" direction.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 9 2016, 01:03 PM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Nov 1 2016, 01:16 PM) *

Factory grain vinyl gimp suits. All the other reproductions are too shiny. It's gonna be the ultimate car-matching driving suit!

IPB Image

blink.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Valy
QUOTE(rpc @ Nov 9 2016, 12:30 PM) *

Aaron, looks like that will work. Of course, the finish is different from the original. When I looked at that one I found this:

The pattern looks more correct. It's only two-way stretch, but looks thin (aka cheap) enough that it could probably be stretched fairly well even in the "non-stretch" direction.

Peel of the fabric backing and it becomes 4-ways stretchable.
rpc
QUOTE(Valy @ Nov 10 2016, 10:45 AM) *

QUOTE(rpc @ Nov 9 2016, 12:30 PM) *

Peel of the fabric backing and it becomes 4-ways stretchable.

Valy, good idea. For the fabric I have on hand -- Autos Int'l German vinyl, which is really too thick -- I tried that, just to see what would happen. The bond between the backing and the vinyl is too tight and they can't be separated. But I'll try it with whatever fabric I end up using, if needed.

Still looking for a good vinyl match.....
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 1 2016, 02:21 PM) *

Mark

Mark,
I can't believe I just turned down an "almost" perfect factory targa bar pad. blink.gif put me on the list...
Mikey914
You got it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.