Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Injection Corporation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pbanders
One of the guys who sold D-Jetronic testers back in the 1970's has been in touch with me, he started a business his sons run now that supplies some D-Jetronic and L-Jetronic components, either as rebuilt products, or through a rebuilding service on your existing parts. I've seen some of their MPS's before, but never dealt with the company directly through their web site. Anyone else who has, could you please comment?

They apparently also source some D-Jetronic connectors and pins, but I didn't see them listed.

http://www.fuelinjectioncorp.com/
Mueller
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 30 2016, 12:17 PM) *

One of the guys who sold D-Jetronic testers back in the 1970's has been in touch with me, he started a business his sons run now that supplies some D-Jetronic and L-Jetronic components, either as rebuilt products, or through a rebuilding service on your existing parts. I've seen some of their MPS's before, but never dealt with the company directly through their web site. Anyone else who has, could you please comment?

They apparently also source some D-Jetronic connectors and pins, but I didn't see them listed.

http://www.fuelinjectioncorp.com/

Never bought from them, seen the page before, I didn't realize they are only about 1/2 hour away from me.
Tom_T
Hey Brad,

They used to be in the South Bay area (Torrance, Redondo Beach, etc.) under a prior name back in the 1970's (BRET I think), & I had run one of their rebuilt ECUs in my 73 2L for about 7 years with no problems (probably still works, but the 914 was whacked in 85).

They were the VW/Audi/Porsche rebuilt EFI parts source that my guy Hans always used (I gave you Hans contact info by PM before).

I'd say that they're still the best around for rebuilt stuff, from other P/A/VW & MBZ, BMW folks I know who've used them since moving up north under FIC.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
pbanders
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 30 2016, 12:30 PM) *

Hey Brad,

They used to be in the South Bay area (Torrance, Redondo Beach, etc.) under a prior name back in the 1970's (BRET I think), & I had run one of their rebuilt ECUs in my 73 2L for about 7 years with no problems (probably still works, but the 914 was whacked in 85).

They were the VW/Audi/Porsche rebuilt EFI parts source that my guy Hans always used (I gave you Hans contact info by PM before).

I'd say that they're still the best around for rebuilt stuff, from other P/A/VW & MBZ, BMW folks I know who've used them since moving up north under FIC.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks! The guy I'm in touch with, Robert White, told me that they bought up all the inventory of Bret and other rebuilders when they went out of business. While their stuff isn't cheap, it's still cheaper than what Bosch Automotive Traditions wants to charge for ECU's and MPS's. I'm hoping to speak to his son who runs the company, maybe I can convince him to start rebuilding AAR's, TPS's, and TC's. I know we have a good solution for TPS's, but AAR's and TC's are now NLA and for people who don't want to do the rebuilding themselves, it would be great to have a source.
pbanders
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 30 2016, 12:30 PM) *

Hey Brad,

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Thanks!
MartyYeoman
If these are the same guys that were on Research Drive in Livermore, then yes I've used their services for reconditioning fuel injectors. They seemed knowledgeable and reasonably priced. They did four of my injectors for $25 each. I didn't know they'd moved to Tracy.
shoguneagle
These are the same guys that were located in Livermore. They have done my Alfa parts in the past; will be using them in the near future.
McMark
They've done injectors, MAF units, ECUs and others for me. Always been happy.
ChrisFoley
Their rebuilt MPS units are total crap at a ridiculously high price.
I spoke with the old man 3 years ago, but he said he would only buy diaphragms from me if I had them made in China to lower the cost.
We never even got around to discussing wholesale quantity pricing.
So it's doubtful that I'll ever do business with them.

Speaking of diaphragms, I sold out my entire first batch and have another 250 due to arrive this week. smile.gif
pbanders
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 31 2016, 07:44 AM) *

Their rebuilt MPS units are total crap at a ridiculously high price.
I spoke with the old man 3 years ago, but he said he would only buy diaphragms from me if I had them made in China to lower the cost.
We never even got around to discussing wholesale quantity pricing.
So it's doubtful that I'll ever do business with them.

Speaking of diaphragms, I sold out my entire first batch and have another 250 due to arrive this week. smile.gif

When the founder (Bob) contacted me, he said he had a lot of knowledge of D-Jet and L-Jet, and I took it that he wanted to share it. When I asked some specifics (e.g. if he'd ever gotten access to Bosch's MPS calibration data), he made it clear he wasn't going to tell me anything useful because he wanted to protect their business. Understandable, for sure, though fairly useless for us.

I also suspect that the detailed engineering you did to identify the proper materials and design for the MPS diaphragms are way beyond what they did and still do with their rebuilds. IMO, using your rebuild kit and an LCR meter to recalibrate an MPS is a better way for us to go.

I've never been really satisfied with using an LCR meter for calibrations, for a number of reasons. Maybe in time we can figure out a simple circuit to use instead that eliminates the issues with the LCR meter and gives us a better method. One more in many projects for me to get to, or for someone else who is motivated to take a shot at.
pbanders
Speaking of D-Jet and testers, I saw this Ebay listing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOSCH-D-Jetronic-T...=p2047675.l2557

At first glance, this appears to be the same tester that I have, which has been excellent for analyzing D-Jetronic, it's the tool I used the most when we were putting the D-Jet web pages together 15+ years ago. However, if you look at the connector, it's not for D-Jet, I'm pretty sure that's L-Jet. Did anyone here buy this tester?
nordfisch
Hi Brad,
did you notice the lamps "trigger-points"?
At first I believed to see a D-Jet-tester having been converted to L-Jet.
But the L-Jet-Bus (first generation, no LH or LE) has 35 Pins.

I then remembered an American engine equipped with D-Jetronic, maybe licensed from Bosch, but no genuine Bosch - maybe no Bosch components at all.

I found my posting about the engine here: https://oldtimer.tips/de/forum2/jetronic/26...raschungen#2256

Follow the links... it's a Bendix system. Maybe the tester is originally meant for this car / system.

Regards
Norbert
BeatNavy
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 31 2016, 12:41 PM) *

I've never been really satisfied with using an LCR meter for calibrations, for a number of reasons.

Brad, can you elaborate on why you don't like this method? I've tried it several times to get a couple of MPS's close to your documented readings, and it's been harder than one would think. Are the readings not accurate, or is there a better way?
pbanders
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 31 2016, 03:33 PM) *

I've never been really satisfied with using an LCR meter for calibrations, for a number of reasons.

Brad, can you elaborate on why you don't like this method? I've tried it several times to get a couple of MPS's close to your documented readings, and it's been harder than one would think. Are the readings not accurate, or is there a better way?

The "better way" is what I do with my EFI Analyzer. With it, using the same ECU for all calibrations, I can take a NOS pressure sensor and at a specific simulated engine speed, say 2500 rpm, I can make a table of the injection pulse width vs. vacuum level, from idle (15 inHg) down to full-load (0 inHg). Using that table, I can then calibrate any MPS to that exact curve.

The problem with the LCR method is that it assumes that the mutual inductance characteristics of the primary and secondary coils and slug of a particular MPS part number are all exactly the same as the reference unit where I did the original profiling. There's enough variation that it probably introduces some error into the calibration. How much? Hard to say. I view the LCR procedure as a first-order approximation, and that you have to use an AFM to do the final tuning.

It would be better if we could have a simulation circuit of the pressure-sensing loop circuit of the ECU to use instead, and to use either a pulse width meter or an oscilloscope to measure the pulse width instead of using inductance. It shouldn't be that hard to do, someone (maybe even me) could look at the pressure-sensing loop circuit on the ECU schematic (it's on my web page) and create a standalone circuit that would simulate it at a set engine speed (or you could make it variable if you wanted to). I may/may not ever get around to it, as I've got too many hobbies and projects as it is, but there are plenty of other people on this forum who could do it, and probably do it better than me.
Mueller
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 31 2016, 04:16 PM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 31 2016, 03:33 PM) *

The "better way" is what I do with my EFI Analyzer. With it, using the same ECU for all calibrations, I can take a NOS pressure sensor and at a specific simulated engine speed, say 2500 rpm, I can make a table of the injection pulse width vs. vacuum level, from idle (15 inHg) down to full-load (0 inHg). Using that table, I can then calibrate any MPS to that exact curve.

The problem with the LCR method is that it assumes that the mutual inductance characteristics of the primary and secondary coils and slug of a particular MPS part number are all exactly the same as the reference unit where I did the original profiling. There's enough variation that it probably introduces some error into the calibration. How much? Hard to say. I view the LCR procedure as a first-order approximation, and that you have to use an AFM to do the final tuning.

It would be better if we could have a simulation circuit of the pressure-sensing loop circuit of the ECU to use instead, and to use either a pulse width meter or an oscilloscope to measure the pulse width instead of using inductance. It shouldn't be that hard to do, someone (maybe even me) could look at the pressure-sensing loop circuit on the ECU schematic (it's on my web page) and create a standalone circuit that would simulate it at a set engine speed (or you could make it variable if you wanted to). I may/may not ever get around to it, as I've got too many hobbies and projects as it is, but there are plenty of other people on this forum who could do it, and probably do it better than me.

Willing to share that info?, that would be great to see, might help with Megasquirt installs or the like!
BeatNavy
Brad that explanation helps, thanks. In the past I was trying to be too OCD about getting my LCR readings to exactly match those in your table using your adjustment method. That probably got me close (first order approximation, as you say) but eventually I relied more on AFR readings and "butt dyno" based on advice of others (like Mr. Foley) here on the forum. It's good to get confirmation that I shouldn't take those numbers too literally, as I could never actually get my MPS to match them.

One day it would be good to have an actual dyno test with CO meter.
pbanders
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 31 2016, 04:21 PM) *

Willing to share that info?, that would be great to see, might help with Megasquirt installs or the like!

Absolutely. I can do it for the 0 280 100 043's, but would need someone to loan me an NOS 049 and 037 to cover the range. As long as the Megasquirt application was using the same injector and fuel pressure it should map identically, otherwise, you could scale the results by the difference in flow rate. I just made some changes how I'm setup here at home to do this kind of thing, if someone prods me in the next couple of weeks I should be able to get the data.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(nordfisch @ Oct 31 2016, 03:06 PM) *

I then remembered an American engine equipped with D-Jetronic, maybe licensed from Bosch, but no genuine Bosch - maybe no Bosch components at all.... it's a Bendix system.

Actually, Bendix invented the system originally. It was called the "Electro-Jet", and was an option on some cars in the 50s, I believe. It was not reliable, though, and few if any cars retained that system through the years. Bosch bought the patents from Bendix, and proceeded to actually make the system reliable.

...And to go very far beyond it, but that's another story...

--DD
nordfisch
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 1 2016, 07:36 AM) *

QUOTE(nordfisch @ Oct 31 2016, 03:06 PM) *

I then remembered an American engine equipped with D-Jetronic, maybe licensed from Bosch, but no genuine Bosch - maybe no Bosch components at all.... it's a Bendix system.

Actually, Bendix invented the system originally. It was called the "Electro-Jet", and was an option on some cars in the 50s, I believe. It was not reliable, though, and few if any cars retained that system through the years. Bosch bought the patents from Bendix, and proceeded to actually make the system reliable.

...And to go very far beyond it, but that's another story...

--DD

Hi,
very good information about the electrojector-system is to be found here: http://www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/electrojector.html

Only very few cars were equipped with the system, and almost all were retrofitted with carburetors because of technical problems the company could not get rid off.

Regards
Norbert

- Bosch sold the license to Japanese producers, too. Some cars were equipped wih a system similar to the D-Jetronic. I once read even nowadays the system is being used in some applications. But maybe never one of those cars left Japan...

nordfisch
QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 30 2016, 08:17 PM) *

Hi,
there is a producer for almost all those parts:
http://www.repro-parts.de/Bosch_D-Jetronic/D-Jetronik.html

For VW / Porsche: http://www.repro-parts.de/Porsche_VW/Steckergehaeuse.html

- Sorry, the page is in German and not very professional made - he is morely a hobbyist than a professional. But the parts and the prices are o.k.
Shipment of such light-weighted parts is quite cheap from Germany.
I believe in having heard they ship overseas at a low rate.

I think, you can contact him in English.
Otherwise I could help.

Regards Norbert

pbanders
QUOTE(nordfisch @ Nov 1 2016, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(pbanders @ Oct 30 2016, 08:17 PM) *

Hi,
there is a producer for almost all those parts:
http://www.repro-parts.de/Bosch_D-Jetronic/D-Jetronik.html

For VW / Porsche: http://www.repro-parts.de/Porsche_VW/Steckergehaeuse.html

- Sorry, the page is in German and not very professional made - he is morely a hobbyist than a professional. But the parts and the prices are o.k.
Shipment of such light-weighted parts is quite cheap from Germany.
I believe in having heard they ship overseas at a low rate.

I think, you can contact him in English.
Otherwise I could help.

Regards Norbert

Very useful, thanks!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(nordfisch @ Nov 1 2016, 12:29 AM) *

- Bosch sold the license to Japanese producers, too. Some cars were equipped wih a system similar to the D-Jetronic. I once read even nowadays the system is being used in some applications. But maybe never one of those cars left Japan...

Interesting! My old Honda CRX had a manifold-pressure type of fuel injection, but I didn't realize there was some possibility it was based off of the same Electro-jector patents that D-jet was! smile.gif

--DD
bretth
QUOTE(nordfisch @ Nov 1 2016, 03:29 AM) *

Hi,
very good information about the electrojector-system is to be found here: http://www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/electrojector.html

LOL look at the 'brain' of this early fuel injection. LOoks like it was made while blindfolded.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.