Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel injection help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vw_porsche
Working on a 75 1.8 with original fuel injection.
Engine runs okay at higher rpms, but runs very rough and rich at idle.
With engine running (stumbling at idle) if I take the oil breather cap off or remove the hose from the auxiliary air regulator the engine smooths out and idles up.
I have checked the temp senser and the auxiliary air regulator. Both are within ohm specs. And there are no vacuum leaks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Jon
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(vw_porsche @ Oct 30 2016, 09:29 PM) *

With engine running (stumbling at idle) if I take the oil breather cap off or remove the hose from the auxiliary air regulator the engine smooths out and idles up.
I have checked the temp senser and the auxiliary air regulator. Both are within ohm specs. And there are no vacuum leaks.

Jon

Check and see if the AFM has a stuck flap. If the engine ever backfired it may have a warped flap.

vw_porsche
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 31 2016, 06:09 AM) *

Jon

Check and see if the AFM has a stuck flap. If the engine ever backfired it may have a warped flap.

Thanks Clay for the response.
Yes, I have checked the AFM too. It moves freely.
malcolm2

Jon

Seems backwards to me. IIRC when I removed my oil cap the car wants to die. But maybe my memory is backwards. So much has been wrong with my car, I just usually have to ask.... piratenanner.gif
timothy_nd28
I agree, most likely a issue with the airflow meter, check that first. We recently had a guy with very similar issues as yours, his ended up being a bad ECU.
ClayPerrine
crap! I forgot that one.....

A 74 ecu is wired different from a 75. If you put a 74 ecu on a 75, it will run way rich. If you put a 75 ecu on a 74 harness, it won't run. The AFM wiring is different.

Check the number of pins on the AFM connector. It should be 7 on a 75. And if you need a 75 ECU to try, I have one.

vw_porsche
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Oct 31 2016, 04:48 PM) *

crap! I forgot that one.....

A 74 ecu is wired different from a 75. If you put a 74 ecu on a 75, it will run way rich. If you put a 75 ecu on a 74 harness, it won't run. The AFM wiring is different.

Check the number of pins on the AFM connector. It should be 7 on a 75. And if you need a 75 ECU to try, I have one.

It's actually a 7 pin AFM off a vanagon (according to the part # on it). Not my car, working on a friend's. Lol
But it was running great before taking engine out to replace throwout bearing. It's like something isn't hooked up properly, but I know it all is.
ClayPerrine
Check the connector where the CHT joins the injection harness. That is prone to being improperly connected, and it will run full rich if disconnected.

vw_porsche
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 1 2016, 09:50 AM) *

Check the connector where the CHT joins the injection harness. That is prone to being improperly connected, and it will run full rich if disconnected.

Checked the CHT connection and the senser too. Senser has 30 ohms...
timothy_nd28
And you think 30 ohms is within spec?
vw_porsche
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Nov 2 2016, 12:01 AM) *

And you think 30 ohms is within spec?

Oops, my bad. The CHT is 288 ohms. The auxiliary air regulator is 30 ohms.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.