Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do You Tighten Down the Dash Top
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I spent the weekend getting my new 914rubber dash top vinyl in. I'm using the early brickmold pattern instead of smooth. i didn't like the previous smooth; it was too shiny.

So vinyl is down and defroster vents are in. Now I'm trying to line up and get the dash on. It clips in the holes but.....

where do i access the bottom of the plastic bolts so I can tighten the dash down so there's no gap? It seems it was never "bolted".
altitude411
Is this any help?

http://www.914world.com/specs/Dash_Top_Removal.php
76-914
IIRC, and I can't even remember what I ate for breakfast, you need to remove the radio, both vent registers, gage cluster. beerchug.gif Like your hat designs.
JoeD
If I remember, you can reach up under the dash and get to a couple... maybe on the passenger side. I pulled the kneepad, gauges (but not entire cluster- you can pull the gauges forward and let them "hang" if you can reach your hand through), radio, glove box. Even so it was one HELL of a job...

Midway through I ended up driving over to Harbor Freight and picking up a set of stubby metric ratcheting wrenches that made a huge difference as some of the nuts would only turn 1/8 - 1/4 turn due to clearance.

Most difficult are the ones behind gauges. Trying to get the nuts on the plastic bolts and get them started using a couple millimeters of finger tip...the devil's own work. Had to walk away at least twice and come back to them.

But in the end it looks absolutely amazing, and I wore the bloody scrapes on my knuckles like medals!
malcolm2
Hell I gave up when I could not even see the ones above the gauges.... I wish I had messed with it when I had all dash bits removed. Gonna just live with the ugly shrunken mat up there now. Kinda adds to the patina!
Larmo63
The two plastic nuts that hold the (front?) back of the gauge pod can be started with needle nose pliers. Get them going that way, then carefully use a wrench. I didn't find it that hard, it just takes patience.
Frankvw
Besides already given tips and tricks...
https://youtu.be/4265P_1eE_k
or this
https://youtu.be/QZPoQd_V-6o
maybe this will add some info
RARE 6
Find a small agile German with long narrow fingers. This is the devil's work. As mentioned earlier, an assortment of short, stubby 1/4" ratchet wrenches, flexible connectors, short and long sockets and extensions will help. Finally gave up on a couple of the nuts in the middle of my re-install and called my wife down to the shop to get them started. Have a picture somewhere of her laying on her back in a mostly stripped interior staring upward under the dash while glaring at me. Another bit of family bonding over the -6.
JoeD
QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Nov 1 2016, 03:50 AM) *

Find a small agile German with long narrow fingers. This is the devil's work. As mentioned earlier, an assortment of short, stubby 1/4" ratchet wrenches, flexible connectors, short and long sockets and extensions will help. Finally gave up on a couple of the nuts in the middle of my re-install and called my wife down to the shop to get them started. Have a picture somewhere of her laying on her back in a mostly stripped interior staring upward under the dash while glaring at me. Another bit of family bonding over the -6.

av-943.gif
7TPorsh
I managed to get to the two on each side of the ashtray. But the two in the back for the "hood" don't look like the picture.

There is very little gap to even get the nut in there much less line it up or turn it. My dash is where the green line is....I can barely even see the bolts. I'll take pics tonight but here is the sample picture with comments.

....also I have an early dash so no left side vent. That bolt is totally hidden.

Click to view attachment
dlkawashima
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Nov 1 2016, 09:50 AM) *

I managed to get to the two on each side of the ashtray. But the two in the back for the "hood" don't look like the picture.

There is very little gap to even get the nut in there much less line it up or turn it. My dash is where the green line is....I can barely even see the bolts. I'll take pics tonight but here is the sample picture with comments.

....also I have an early dash so no left side vent. That bolt is totally hidden.

I used a 13mm cone wrench for the two nuts in the hood. For the nut on the far left side of the dash, try a "thumbwheel" or "finger" ratchet or a mini ratchet with a flex head.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.