Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: About to pull the trigger on buying a welder...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_1.8t
http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/handler140.html

These are going for 440 ish shipped on ebay. Almost ready to pull the trigger on the purchase.

Can you more experienced folks let me know what they think about this welder? Anyone used it? Can I get something comperable/better for the cheaper/or around the same price(dont want spend more than 450)?
jasons
I am no expert but when I was shopping I almost bought that one. IIRC Hobart welders are made by Miller and have the gun which I guess is really good. The spooling might be different, I am not sure. I ended up with a Lincoln 135 cause I could get it from the Depot with a discount and no interest for a year on my HD credit card. If I was paying cash, I probably would have bought that Hobart unit. If money was no object, I would have bought the Miller. All of that said, I don't make a living with my welder so I am sure my Lincoln is more than sufficient for my needs.
flyloki
Nice welder, I've used one.

The only thing I really like more about the Miller 135 is the infinately variable voltage, only problem is I'll cost you another 100-200 bucks.

I'm pretty sure I will get a Henrob gas unit here soon as I know about 4 people with Migs I can use anytime.
Mueller
the welder you used a few months ago was purchased here:
Salesco

I "think" it's the Miller 125 model

If you have 220v, I'd recommend that voltage instead
airsix
That's the newest version of the welder I have. It's also (the latest version of) the welder Lawrence has and used to restore Pam's bumble-bee. Ask Lawrence to post before, durring, and after pics if you haven't seen them. He basically built a 914 chassis with that welder. I absolutely love mine. Throw away the flux-core wire it comes with and get a bottle, solid wire, and the correct tips for the wire you get. You'll be in heaven.

Edited to add: The quality is very good. I've never had a problem with it being 115v. I frequently weld up to 5/8" plate with it and have never had any issues with duty-cycle, wire feed, or anything else. It's a very good machine. Infinite voltage contol would be nice for welding really thin stuff, but as was mentioned - that would add 50% to the cost.

-Ben M.
Dr. Roger
Mueller is right on the money re: the 220V welder.

I have three welders and my 220v is my favorite.

My 110V househld plugged MIG welder has a sensivity to long hot days at the highest setting. It tends to blow breakers and duty cycle out quickly.

If you are going for price, at least check the duty cycle. The infinite control thing is not really that big of a deal as long as it has at least 5 levels then that should do ya'. (mine is a 5 step) I've welded everything from very light weight BBQer thin steel to 3/8' tubular steel with zero problems.

Hope this helps. biggrin.gif
914_1.8t
Unfortunately, I don't have a 220V output to use...so I have to go with a 110V.
Mueller
QUOTE (914_1.8t @ Apr 21 2005, 11:58 AM)

no A/C on the side of your house?? smile.gif

914_1.8t
QUOTE (airsix @ Apr 21 2005, 10:50 AM)
That's the newest version of the welder I have. It's also (the latest version of) the welder Lawrence has and used to restore Pam's bumble-bee. Ask Lawrence to post before, durring, and after pics if you haven't seen them. He basically built a 914 chassis with that welder. I absolutely love mine. Throw away the flux-core wire it comes with and get a bottle, solid wire, and the correct tips for the wire you get. You'll be in heaven.

Edited to add: The quality is very good. I've never had a problem with it being 115v. I frequently weld up to 5/8" plate with it and have never had any issues with duty-cycle, wire feed, or anything else. It's a very good machine. Infinite voltage contol would be nice for welding really thin stuff, but as was mentioned - that would add 50% to the cost.

-Ben M.

Are you referring to the miller or hobart?
Pugbug
I bought a Hobart 250 amp Betamig (Similar to the Ironman 250) a few years ago. Great machine, but the problem is that when Miller bought out Hobart, parts for my machine became very hard to get. I am currently waiting on .024" drive rolls , so I can use .023" wire. I have been waiting for awhile now, and this is holding up my project.
I would suggest that you buy Miller, or Lincoln instead.

When you do decide be sure you get the tips and drive roll sets you need, according to the size of wire you will be using.

Also get the gas (argon/co2 mix) for best results, and go with .023" solid wire.
914_1.8t
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 21 2005, 11:02 AM)
QUOTE (914_1.8t @ Apr 21 2005, 11:58 AM)

no A/C on the side of your house?? smile.gif

Actually there is...so i guess I can splice?

But, I think I may just go with a 110 as it will more versatile for me...I can use it anywhere and not have to worry about the 220v being available.
tnorthern
Adding 220 to your garage isn't too hard assuming you have a little eletrical know how first. It is basically a plug and play deal in your breaker box.

If you turn off your main power supply (should be one big switch in it's own box) and then open up your breaker box and pull the metal cover, covering the main electrical conduits you will see how a breaker spans the two conduits and has your wire connected to it. Just add a 220 breaker and wire it out the box like all the other wires and then into some hard conduit through the garage wall to your plug.

All that being said I know that this is well within my skills, if you are at all not sure, DON'T DO IT! A welder isn't much good for putting out electrical fires...
airsix
QUOTE (914_1.8t @ Apr 21 2005, 11:03 AM)
Are you referring to the miller or hobart?

I'm talking about the Hobart you are looking at getting. Good machine. You'll love it as soon as you set it up for gas (needed: bottle, propper sized gun tips, wire).

-Ben M.
914_1.8t
QUOTE (tnorthern @ Apr 21 2005, 11:19 AM)
Adding 220 to your garage isn't too hard assuming you have a little eletrical know how first. It is basically a plug and play deal in your breaker box.

If you turn off your main power supply (should be one big switch in it's own box) and then open up your breaker box and pull the metal cover, covering the main electrical conduits you will see how a breaker spans the two conduits and has your wire connected to it. Just add a 220 breaker and wire it out the box like all the other wires and then into some hard conduit through the garage wall to your plug.

All that being said I know that this is well within my skills, if you are at all not sure, DON'T DO IT! A welder isn't much good for putting out electrical fires...

Only problem is my garage is carpeted (outdorr patio carpet, the washable stuff) and I'm kind of using it a a game room....so no welding in there, can only use the side of the house.

If I go with 220, my best bet would be to either figure out how to use the wiring for the A/C or run some wiring and an exrremely long extension cord from the garage when I need to weld.
914_1.8t
QUOTE (Mueller @ Apr 21 2005, 10:38 AM)
the welder you used a few months ago was purchased here:
Salesco

I "think" it's the Miller 125 model

If you have 220v, I'd recommend that voltage instead

I looks like the miller/hobart are the same/almost identical. Did a google search on Miller 125 MIG and kept getting links to the hobart 125.

How much did you get yours for, I could not find it on the site? That is about as much as I need.

Mike: By the way, what size spool did you have loaded?
TravisNeff
Sounds like a good buy. The difference between the millers and the hobarts (and lincolns too I think) are the drive rollers, millers have metal rollers/gears and the others have plastic. And the infinite adjustment. Lincoln has a 4 or 5 position step and another model which looks to be the same but infinite adjustability which adds on a hundred bucks or so. be sure to check prices on consumables, nozzles, tips liners and such.

If you go with the 110v unit, you still may have issues with power. If you don't have a dedicated circuit (older houses usually have around 3 rooms on a breaker) - you may need to visit that down the road.

I have a 220v miller and love it. Made a long extension cord to plug into the dryer receptical. Have to leave the door cracked to run the cord when I weld. At my old house I ran 220 into the garage, with some help overseeing my work it wasn't a tough job to do.

With 110v unit you should be able to do most any car related project, but you will find all sorts of stuff to make once you get it - so keep versatility in mind.
maf914
QUOTE (tnorthern @ Apr 21 2005, 11:19 AM)

That is good! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
riverman
Hobart makes a good machine and it will work just fine on your teener.
Air_Cooled_Nut
I have a Sears Craftsman unit, infinite voltage and wire speed adjustment w/20% duty cycle and it works GREAT! I've used it at our shop and at home and the 120v power rating makes it nice-n-portable. We have a flux-cored welder at the shop and the guys like using my welder better because I only use gas. The infinite adjustablility is a very nice feature and I do, indeed, use it to get great welds. My main welding is thinner metals though I did build a punching bag stand for a friend as well as a motorcycle dolly and those used thicker metals and I only maxed out the welder a few times (internal breaker killed the power until unit cooled down suffeciently).

Yes, when you have a welder and become good with it you'll get requests from people...I've repaired lawn furniture, a tractor plow, a very old garden shovel, and just yesterday I built-up the worn/thin metal on one of the suspension bushing holders on my VW. Having a somewhat portable unit is very nice and household 115v power is everywhere wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.