Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can you Change a Tail shifter to a Side Shifter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Korijo914
I have heard that you can change a tail shifter transaxle to a side shifter transaxle. Is this true, or is it just a rumor? If I can change my 5 speed tail shifter transaxle to a 5 speed side shifter transaxle, how do I modify my tail shifter?

If I can, what kind of parts do I need? What kind of preparation is needed to be done? I am assuming that I will need a side shifter transaxle, correct? What else?

Oh, I did look all over the site, and found nothing.

korijo 914
jsaum
Are you asking if you can switch out the transaxle? Yes you can. You can also convert the tail shift case to a side shift. You'll need the side shifter end piece and shifter components along with the shift rods and the engine mount bar. I converted my 72 from the tail shifter to the side shifter with parts from a 75. I just swapped the transaxle.

Jsaum
Dave_Darling
Hi, Dave! Good to see you around!

The short version:
- You need the transmission and the entire shift linkage, even the gear shift lever. Plus the late motor mount bar and the brackets for the bar. And a "converter bushing" for the hole in the firewall. (And possibly the left bottom engine tin piece.)

If your tail-shifter is in really good shape, you can actually swap over the shift rails and forks and such from the side-shifter into it, but it's a whole lot easier to just bolt on a side-shifter complete.

.... No, wait! I mean, "No you can't do it; it's impossible and nobody has ever done it before!" wink.gif

--DD
Krieger
Welcome back!
Korijo914
No No No!

I have both, a side shifter that is a 4 speed. Then, I have a another transaxle that is a tail shifter that is a 5 speed.

What I want to do is change over my tail shifter to a side shifter. Is that possible? Or is it easier to change my side shifter to a 5 speed?

I know that you are able to switch from tail to a side shifter. I am thinking of changing my 5 speed tail shifter to a 5 speed side shifter, I guess I mean to convert my tail shifter to a side shifter, in the same case.

Everyone here understand me now!

Thanks everyone for all the welcomes back! I have been around, just screwing around elsewhere.

Are the calendars out yet? biggrin.gif
Korijo914
Okay guys & gals, do you understand what I am trying to do? I want to either swap the guts from my 5 speed tail shifter to my 4 speed side shifter, or is it easier to change my tail shifter to a side shifter? I am trying to get a 5 speed side shifter!

What is the easiest way to do that?

Info needed! No hurry, tho!

David ( korijo 914 and keoneeli ) Cawdrey
Rand
Hey Dave, did you read Dave's reply? Dave's here man. wink.gif
Dominic
QUOTE(Korijo914 @ Nov 2 2016, 02:08 PM) *

Okay guys & gals, do you understand what I am trying to do? I want to either swap the guts from my 5 speed tail shifter to my 4 speed side shifter, or is it easier to change my tail shifter to a side shifter? I am trying to get a 5 speed side shifter!

What is the easiest way to do that?

Info needed! No hurry, tho!

David ( korijo 914 and keoneeli ) Cawdrey

David,
I've never heard of a 4 speed sideshifter, all of the 901 transaxles that were installed into 914's were 5 speed regardless of Tailshift or sideshift. The gears are all the same, the main difference is the shift selector rods in each transaxle and how they are actuated.
But to answer your question, you should be able to put the gear stack/intermediate plate from your tailshifter into your sideshift case, but you will have to use the shift selector rods from the sideshifter, do this all on the bench before you install into your sideshift case. Of course you will need to align all three shift selector forks with a jig prior to the install. The best way is make a jig from an old gearbox case. I'll try to find a picture of the one I use.

Do you have a copy of the factory manuals? Either paper copy or PDF? Follow the instructions for aligning the forks from the factory manual, very straight forward if you have the jig to hold your gear stacks.

Cheers,
Dominic
stugray
Yes you can convert a tailshift to side shift (I am doing one right now).

You need:
the shift console (goes on the side where there is just a cover on the tailshift)
the three shift rods from inside a side shifter
the side-shift tailcone

I would not swap a core from one case to another as this could change your pinion depth.
euro911
David, are you sure the 4-speed you have is for a 914? ... was 1st gear deleted for a V8 car or something?

Also, some early 912s came with 4-speed transaxles and they look similar to a tail-shifter - difference being the nose cone and the R&P is different (spins backwards from a 914 trans).

But yes, the trans can be built into a 5-speed side shifter. Sounds like you have all the parts necessary to do the trans ... you'll just need the external supporting items as stated above.

Post some pix if you can confused24.gif
eyesright
QUOTE(Korijo914 @ Nov 1 2016, 06:06 PM) *

I have heard that you can change a tail shifter transaxle to a side shifter transaxle. Is this true, or is it just a rumor? If I can change my 5 speed tail shifter transaxle to a 5 speed side shifter transaxle, how do I modify my tail shifter?

If I can, what kind of parts do I need? What kind of preparation is needed to be done? I am assuming that I will need a side shifter transaxle, correct? What else?

Oh, I did look all over the site, and found nothing.

korijo 914

I take your question to mean you want to convert the shifter in the transmission from a tail mechanism to a side mechanism. Yes it can be done. You can buy the forks and shafts and etc. and just swap them out. Sounds easy right?, but it would be a better scenario to send it off to Dr. Evil. THEN you add the shifter, two shift rods, u-joint, nylon firewall bushing, two nylon cups, etc.

I think I've seen a forks/shafts kit in the AutoAtlanta catalog.

I hope I read this right. And you just may find it cheaper just to find a used side shifter transmission.
Dave_Darling
As I said, you can swap over the gear selector stuff from the side-shifter to the tail-shift case. That includes the shift forks and rails. You still use the whole side-shift linkage and side-shift motor mount bar and bracketry.

You don't want to swap the gear stack from the tail-shifter into the side-shift case; the ring and pinion gears should stay with their original case. And changing all of the individual gears out on the stack may result in you having to reset the R&P depth and engagement pattern. Better just to swap the shifting bits from the side-shifter to the tail-shifter trans.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.