Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lug bolts for 2.0 alloys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
I want to replace all of my lug bolts, due to age, and a few questionable bolts..

Anyone know where to get a new set-besides the big vendors who charge 24.00 ea! for them?? do FLAPS carry them?? I need the longer bolts for the 2.0 alloy's 78mm I think,

-Adam
Allan
I got some recently from this guy. Nice stuff.

Lug Nuts
tat2dphreak
I just got some of these...

16 Wheel Bolts (20-4270)
Select Bolt: 4270 - 35mm

from http://www.pure-motorsport.com/

http://www.pure-motorsport.com/products/de...530/CA=47/PA=10 rocking nana.gif they look great and are cheaper than most places!!
Cap'n Krusty
I have 15 of the OE ones, used but good. The Cap'n
boston914
I just got a set of 16 chrome plated lug bolts on ebay for $75.

The same guy has another set for sale on ebay now.

They look like good quality, although I have not yet installed them.

My Fuchs will be back from the polisher this weekend!
Wayne,

Thanks, wow that looks like a good deal, I'll be ordering a set up from them, at 2.75ea, for new you can't go wrong!

is that part, 4270-14x1.5"-38mm long (ball socket), identical to the origional's?

-Adam
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (7391420 @ Apr 22 2005, 01:36 PM)
Wayne,

Thanks, wow that looks like a good deal, I'll be ordering a set up from them, at 2.75ea, for new you can't go wrong!

is that part, 4270-14x1.5"-38mm long (ball socket), identical to the origional's?

-Adam

probably not... the ones I have, that I *assume* are original have a 33mm shaft, these are longer... they also have a different finish, they are silver, but not shiny, almost like galvanized metal...

they are very nice lug bolts though, and plenty long for my western wheels
I just checked, these are right, 38mm was the stock length for cars with alloy wheels, just curious though, why did you get the ball style instead of the cone style? -the flange on the bolts looks like a cone to me, but I'm not sure what this refers to??

-Adam
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (7391420 @ Apr 22 2005, 02:21 PM)
I just checked, these are right, 38mm was the stock length for cars with alloy wheels, just curious though, why did you get the ball style instead of the cone style? -the flange on the bolts looks like a cone to me, but I'm not sure what this refers to??

-Adam

ball style was the stock.
ChrisFix
QUOTE (7391420 @ Apr 22 2005, 11:21 AM)

-Adam

All of the 914 OEM wheels use a Ball Seat, which has a rounder profile than the Cone Seat. You must use the right one or the contact area will be very small.
Great,

I'm ordering a set right now,

BTW,

I checked my FLAPS and while we came close to finding the right size, they didn't have it... closest I came was a shorter VW part version...
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (7391420 @ Apr 22 2005, 02:30 PM)
Great,

I'm ordering a set right now,

BTW,

I checked my FLAPS and while we came close to finding the right size, they didn't have it... closest I came was a shorter VW part version...

yea, I showed what I had to Pep boys, they were like yea, here you go, so I bought a few of the individually wrapped bolts, got the home, unwrapped on, it was about 1/2 the length headbang.gif and pepboys was not recptive to the return, luckily, I only bought 1-2 to see if they would work... before buying the full 16
Not to beat this to death, but I just realized that the size were were talking about is 35mm, and the stock bolts were 38mm..

-is 35mm long enough? or should I go up to the next length and get them in the 40mm length..

-Adam
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (7391420 @ Apr 22 2005, 03:10 PM)
Not to beat this to death, but I just realized that the size were were talking about is 35mm, and the stock bolts were 38mm..

-is 35mm long enough? or should I go up to the next length and get them in the 40mm length..

-Adam

no, the ones I order WAS 38mm... 4270
sorry,

but those are listed as 35mm, at least that's what the page says when you scroll over to it on their web site.

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (7391420 @ Apr 25 2005, 10:28 AM)
sorry,

but those are listed as 35mm, at least that's what the page says when you scroll over to it on their web site.

my bad, I could have SWORN that number was 38mm... the 35mm works fine on my wheels(note: I don't have Fuchs), but if you are concerned you can go to the next length up... 40mm, for $1.00 more each...

Aaron Cox
ID up it to the 40mm ones... 2mm extra cant hurt wink.gif
TROJANMAN
i didn't see the F word in any of these posts, but is 38 mm the size needed for FUCHS?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Apr 22 2005, 11:50 AM)
[
yea, I showed what I had to Pep boys, they were like yea, here you go, so I bought a few of the individually wrapped bolts, got the home, unwrapped on, it was about 1/2 the length headbang.gif and pepboys was not recptive to the return, luckily, I only bought 1-2 to see if they would work... before buying the full 16

Why would you even THINK you could get what you need at PEP Boys or any other FLAPS? They're NOT likely to have ANYTHING you'd want to use on your 914 (or any other German car, for that matter), and they'll sell you whatever it takes to get you out the door ........................... They just don't give a rat's a** The Cap'n
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 25 2005, 11:42 AM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Apr 22 2005, 11:50 AM)
[
yea, I showed what I had to Pep boys, they were like yea, here you go, so I bought a few of the individually wrapped bolts, got the home, unwrapped on, it was about 1/2 the length  :headbang: and pepboys was not recptive to the return, luckily, I only bought 1-2 to see if they would work... before buying the full 16

Why would you even THINK you could get what you need at PEP Boys or any other FLAPS? They're NOT likely to have ANYTHING you'd want to use on your 914 (or any other German car, for that matter), and they'll sell you whatever it takes to get you out the door ........................... They just don't give a rat's a** The Cap'n

they were the bolts for a beetle...

I gamble a little bit since there isn't a VW/porsche shop anywhere close... closest one is in Bedford(Zim's) and that is close to an hour drive... it was one of those things... "while I'm here getting carb cleaner and oil, do you have anything like this?"

Sounds good,

I'm going for the 40mm size, may as well.

-I still can't believe that AA/Perf Prod. charges 23.00 ea for these!!

-Out east we have Autozone, which is similar to pep-boys, I get some stuff from them, Bosch oil filters, oil, the occasional bolt-this weekend, I put a new exhaust on and realized that I was two 13mm bolts short so I made a quick drive over and they had the exact bolt, you can get some stuff at these places, I just wouldn't try to get anything technical from them, IE-spark plugs, wires, etc....

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (7391420 @ Apr 25 2005, 02:02 PM)
Sounds good,

I'm going for the 40mm size, may as well.

-I still can't believe that AA/Perf Prod. charges 23.00 ea for these!!

-Out east we have Autozone, which is similar to pep-boys, I get some stuff from them, Bosch oil filters, oil, the occasional bolt-this weekend, I put a new exhaust on and realized that I was two 13mm bolts short so I made a quick drive over and they had the exact bolt, you can get some stuff at these places, I just wouldn't try to get anything technical from them, IE-spark plugs, wires, etc....

plugs are used on many cars, if they have the right model #, these places can save you a few bucks, they plug wires are a different story altogether....

we have autozone here too, but they are even worse than Pep,

believe it or not, when it comes to FLAPs, O'Reilly is the best I've found... they are still bad, but not as bad as Pep, they at least know what a 914 IS...

they also carry Kendall oil, and can get some other parts... they had a voltage regulator for my teener and an altenator... the alt. needed the same modification as the Bosch ones, and the regulator looked different but both worked fine... and the alt. came with a lifetime warranty... I hadn't read the bosch info, before installing the altenator, and the first one shorted because of it... SO, I took it back, no questions asked, they had me a new one in the shop the next day...
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Apr 21 2005, 01:26 PM)

http://www.pure-motorsport.com/products/de...530/CA=47/PA=10 rocking nana.gif they look great and are cheaper than most places!!

has anyone ordered and received lugs from this guy?
i need to order some for my fuchs, but want to make sure they fit.
thanks
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (glstrojan @ May 2 2005, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Apr 21 2005, 01:26 PM)

has anyone ordered and received lugs from this guy?
i need to order some for my fuchs, but want to make sure they fit.
thanks

I got mine, they work great, but I don't have fuchs or the 40mm versions, my 35mm versions on western wheels worked great though
Joe Bob
It's been awhile since I have had four lug Fuchs....but aren't the front and rear wheels able to use different lengths?
TROJANMAN
thanks for the reply. i read the post pretty carfeully to see if anyone commented on using them for FUCHS, didn't see anything, so thought i would ask again.
If I get them I'd be using them on the 2.o liter fuchs, after cleaning out my garage/shop area I found a dozen extra lug bolts, so I may be fine.

-All the lug bolts on my car now are the same size, and the rim's are all identical, so I don't know why you'd be able to use different lenght lug bolts, but I do know that the standard steel wheels used a much shorter bolt, because the rim is much thinner, and you don't ever want to use those shorter bolts for your alloy wheels.

-Adam
Joe Bob
The front rotors are threaded for the lugnuts.....while the rears you have to go thru the rotor and then thread into the hub BEHIND the rotor. You have an extra X amount of turns to get a complete snug fit.

IF I remember correctly....you might be able to get away with long bolts just on the rear. But the last time I had four lugged Fuchs...the car had a mix of lugnuts and some even had 17mm heads on them meaning THOSE were after market....
carreraguy
Related question - whats the bolt length for the stock 4 bolt steel wheels?
midac
I bought (16) chrome 14mm x 38 spherical for $36 plus $15 SH from Wheel Components in Utah.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.