Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat Exchanger Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aggiezig
So I come from the VW scene, where it's very common place on resto-mod's to delete the heat exchanger boxes and eliminate the heat all together from the car. Especially so when running larger displacement engines that would not support heater boxes. Living in TX, it's very rare that I would ever use heat anyways.

That being said... is this commonly done on 914's? Obviously there are no modifications to the car other than not running a heat exchanger exhaust setup. Would this heater delete significantly (negatively) affect the value of a 914?
falcor75
Aslong as you keep the old parts and it can be reversed it shouldnt affect the value. .
stinkindiesel
I've been without heat for a while, but I recently sourced some new exchangers, and am seriously thinking about hooking the heat back up. It would be nice to have a defroster from time to time.

If performance was a big issue, and I had the choice of good headers vs. heat exchangers, I'd probably be good without the heat. For a lowly 1.7L, though, might as well have all the creature comforts you can.

Gary
Mark Henry
For us up north heat extends the top off season big time.
I love driving top off just after dusk, even in the summer the temps sometimes drop enough, that without heat you have to stop put on long pants and a sweatshirt, to leave the top off.
barefoot
Living in Charleston SC, I expect to be doing most of my 914 driving (post jackstand phase) in cooler weather (late fall to mid spring), so want heat. I will only drive in the summer after sunset, without AC, it;s too damn hot otherwise.
914Sixer
Why even bother messing around, just leave them on.
aggiezig
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 2 2016, 07:11 PM) *

Why even bother messing around, just leave them on.

It's more of a "do I bother to put them back on?" situation as my project teener is completely stripped at this time.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Dave_Darling
The heat exchangers are part of the exhaust. You cannot take them off without replacing the exhaust pipes. If you are replacing them with a tuned header setup (such as the Tangerine Racing one), you should see significant extra power.

If you are just stripping off the exchanger wrapping from the pipes, the only benefit will be a very small weight savings way down low where it doesn't make much difference. And you won't be able to put the wrapping back on easily, as you will have to cut it up to get it off of the pipes.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.