Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Polish Windshield Trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
matchpoint
I have not tried it yet but does anyone have any experience trying to polish 914 OE windshield trim. I understand the aluminum trim is anodized wish a thin film of chrome. I have tried to sand this kind of stuff before and all you see is the surface chrome turn black. It may be the black is coming from the aluminum just below the chrome when sanding. I am wondering if all the anodized chrome was sanded off first it would be possible to polish the aluminum trim just like an aluminum wheel. I was told that using a small Dremel wheel and jewelery polish it is possible to polish 914 windshield trim. Anyone been down this road............
Thanks
TheCabinetmaker
I did a decent job of polishing with mothers polish and a 3" foam buffing pad on a drill. Tape off both windshield and paint first. Don't do it off the car. You'll bend it.
mepstein
Buy new. 914rubber.com
wes
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 2 2016, 12:53 PM) *

Buy new. 914rubber.com

Wow didn't know they had the aluminum trim!
wes
I bought my windshield trim from Porsche not cheap but they have it. Before that I bought some from AA they claim to be the same as Porsche but it blew off the first time I had a little speed on the car, not a good fit.
76-914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 2 2016, 12:32 PM) *

I did a decent job of polishing with mothers polish and a 3" foam buffing pad on a drill. Tape off both windshield and paint first. Don't do it off the car. You'll bend it.

Does it matter who's Mother or just any mother's polish. av-943.gif lol-2.gif
Rob-O
The brightwork trim on our cars is aluminum that has been anodized, no chrome. I won't go into anodization process (Google it for more info) but there is no chrome on those pieces. The anodization is a hard coating that was applied over the aluminum to keep it looking, well, bright. If the coating wasn't on the aluminum it would need periodic polishing in order for it to keep its bright appearance. Mother's and other aluminum polishes are made specifically for those pieces of aluminum that are not protected, like old aluminum wheels for example. Without a coating, aluminum will oxidize and become dull.

Chrome, a completely different process, would provide a bright finish that needs no further work to protect it. In other words, chrome wouldn't require anodization.

For your windshield trim it is possible to remove the anodization. You may have already done this by sanding the trim. Or you can use a chemical process to remove it. But if you don't protect the aluminum by re coating it (anodization, clear powder coat, clear rattle can paint), it will eventually dull. How quickly depends on what the aluminum sees as far as water, air, chemicals, atmospheric fallout (bird droppings,etc.).
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 2 2016, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 2 2016, 12:32 PM) *

Does it matter who's Mother or just any mother's polish. av-943.gif lol-2.gif

Well, my mother of course. rolleyes.gif
Rand
I know it's off topic a little, but just throwing it out there... I prefer the look of black rubber trim over a shiny bling strip any day. Just something to keep in mind as another option.
sb914
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 3 2016, 03:02 PM) *

I know it's off topic a little, but just throwing it out there... I prefer the look of black rubber trim over a shiny bling strip any day. Just something to keep in mind as another option.

agree.gif
Mikey914
I have one on each car, the aluminum is a pain I actually like the rubber better.
Rand
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 3 2016, 04:32 PM) *

...I actually like the rubber better.

This is a first. poke.gif

Joking aside, I'll never go back to metal trim.
76-914
Alright, I'll be the odd man out. I too have one of each. I loved the Cal look black rubber on my Ghia but not on my 76 914. When it gets refreshed I'll go back to the aluminum like my 73. Thank God we have choices.
Cracker
But do they make the Targa trim? I could use those three pieces...

Tony

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 2 2016, 03:53 PM) *

Buy new. 914rubber.com

matchpoint
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 3 2016, 03:02 PM) *

I also like the look of the black rubber trim on the windshield. The problem is the black rubber trim requires the glass to be urethane glued vs butyl and the rubber trim that 914Rubber sells is almost impossible to make the bottom corner glass bends without the rubber pooching up on the bottom corners. The other issue is with the rubber trim and urethane glue job is is necessary to spray the inside edges of the glass to cover or conceal the urethane uneven swell when you push the glass to its proper depth. Rubber sounds great but lots of problems to make look correct.

The chrome trim is also very difficult to install and stay together and look good.
IronHillRestorations
Sand with 600, then 1000, and then polish with buffing wheel and compound. It's easy to bend and deform it when polishing, so be careful. I did this on a cost conscious restoration 30 years ago, before you could get the rubber.

It's much easier to sand and paint black, but I'm personally not a fan of that look, but the smaller black rubber looks OK to me.

Anodizing isn't chrome and sands off fairly easily with 600 sand paper,

If your chrome has been pried off a bit to aggressively the black plastic retaining clips could be damaged and not hold the trim very well. Always replace the clips when you take out the windshield.
Rob-O
agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.