Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djsinister702
here is my 75 914 1.8L...i call it my Red Dragon.
I am planning to install a stereo system and alarm. While trying to keep everything orginal.
wish me luck
by the way...anyone able to put on a decent sound system in a 914?

ok why am i getting this message?
THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You cannot upload this type of file
Foxman
what file format is the picture in that you are trying to upload? I think you can only upload jpegs or gifs.
i love porsche
youre probably tryint to upload a .bmp file, open the picture in paint, choose 'save as' and be sure to switch the file type to .jpeg

then it should work, as long as the file is under 250k i think
djsinister702
i just check....the pic is in jpeg file....
hmmmmm
djsinister702
i think the file is too big
djsinister702
ok lets try this
djsinister702
how's this?
914GT
Looking good!
i love porsche
very nice!
djsinister702
thank you...
i will be tearing it apart this weekend to install the stereo and alarm system....
will be taking pics to keep you guys updated.
wish me luck
TheCabinetmaker
You don't need to tear it apart to install a stereo!! Tearing it apart is what Mueller does, and it will never run again. laugh.gif Just kidding Mike. A good stereo system is no problem. A place for the speakers are.

BTW, nice car, and welcome to the nightmare, uh, madness, uh, club. Yeah, thats it. welcome to the club.
tat2dphreak
welcome to the club! great looking car... what color is that?
TheCabinetmaker
Yeah, what color? Spectrum red?
jim912928
welcome..nice car! I also love my 75 1.8l. Once the ljet is vacuum tight it's a great FI system! Love the deeper red color..very cool!
Doug Leggins
Good looking car. Looks to be in great condition. One more...what color/code?
Bleyseng
Don't cut holes in the door panels. Buy the bigger stock like speaker enclosures from Morphenspecter!

You can install a small sub in the console if you have one.

biggrin.gif
brp914
agree.gif

the door panel isn't strong enough to support the speaker, plus you'll have to cut sheet metal, plus water will get down there and ruin the speaker.

Beautiful car, I hope you wont do a thing to it. Mine looked that nice, but now has >300k miles and needs some tlc as far as aesthetics.
djsinister702
Hi Gang,
thank for the comment...i really dont know what color it is...where do i look for the code...i looked by the door and hell i cant read german..heheheheh
well, here is a pic of the inside before i tore it up....
djsinister702
ok
here is a pic of the RED DRAGON topless biggrin.gif
SpecialK
Man! That thing's in great shape!! You must be very proud of your little "dragon". wub.gif

Yep on the Morphenspectra enclosures, and I believe he also makes a center sub-woofer/console deally thing that works well.

I'm going with a Clarion component system, with Bass Shakers mounted under the seats, or against the firewall for my ass-thumpin' bass..........I'll have to experiment a little to see which mounting location works best. At the rate I'm going, it should be installed around the Fall of 2010, just in time for the 8th annual FFC! wink.gif
djsinister702
ok.
These are what I am planning to stuff into the RED DRAGON...
5 speakers
2 tweeters
1 sub
1 amp
1 alarm system

not to worry....I have a plan that wont change anything in the car..
everything will be kept orginal...hope it work.

I took out the seats, the carpets and the underneath dash today....and low and behold I found and extra key for the car, under one of the seat. wow, what a suprise.
I also found out it havent been clean in years...probable 30 years!!
here are some pics ....after the seats was taken out

a wire here a wire there....damn too many wires
djsinister702
look at the replay board.....
it had so much dust on it...
djsinister702
ok Gang,
i will work on it some more today (Friday) I will keep you guys posted ....
SpecialK
QUOTE (djsinister702 @ Apr 22 2005, 12:36 AM)
look at the replay board.....
it had so much dust on it...

uh oh! happy11.gif

Sounds like you're susceptiple DWD!
Hydra
Great car smilie_pokal.gif
now for the color, open the driver side door, and look at the chassis between the hinges, there should be a small plate with a code on it, starting with an L then a number then another letter. if the car still has the original color, i guess it should be "L30C" or malaga red....
good luck with your sound system setup
Gustl
could it be malaga red (L30C) idea.gif

anyway, a really nice looking car user posted image

well, Nick was a little faster biggrin.gif
ninefourteener
Sweet ride!!!!! Welcome!!!!!

I've been researching this damn stereo thing since the day I joined this club. I love a good sounding stereo.. but with all the hassles involved, I decided to just get used to the sound of the open air, and the exhaust growl between 3 a 4k RPM beerchug.gif

What I did is got the Morphenspectra speaker grills. WELL worth the $$$. I installed a relatively inexpensive (but decent) JVC head unit to deter theft to a degree.

I went with an Infinity Kappa component system. The 5.25s are in the grills (the speaker grill was 6.5, so it fits perfectly), and the 1" tweeters about 6 inches away in the doors.

I mounted the crossovers upside down, with some double sided tape on the bottom side of the glovebox. The sound is VERY good quality.... but not a lot of volume. Then again, you're in a convertibe.. you're not going to get great clarity anyway..... so this was enough for me.

I opted NOT to go with a sub. I've seen them on the passenger side firewall, which takes away foot space. The side of the center console which looks dumb. The center of the backpad (dumb), I've even seen them protruding into the engine compartment... duhhhh.

Do a search.. you'll find a bunch of good stereo info.

The BEST way to go with a sub is the center console, front-mounted setup...... but you lose your gauges.

My gauges are important to me..... so I just said "screw it" and put a $3K stereo in my Acura beerchug.gif

Root_Werks
wavey.gif Welcome, very nice 914, I like the color. smile.gif
merrill
Sick car man! I think you scored big with that one smilie_pokal.gif I think I need to get some speakers from morphenspectra. I am over the mono sound coming from the dinky speakers mad.gif Did i say nice car pray.gif
beemie96
Did I notice that the underside of the dash was a green color? (by the fuse / relay board)
AZ914
Welcome! smilie_pokal.gif

Your car looks great! I'd say its Malaga red, like my 75. (see avatar!).

Lets see some 'after' pics with that new stereo!
djsinister702
just a quick update on the color of my 914
i look by the door and it read.....L 97 A....
what color is that?
ok gotta get back in the garage and work work work
Lou W
Great looking car.

914 Color Codes and Chart
ChrisFix
QUOTE (beemie96 @ Apr 22 2005, 08:48 AM)
Did I notice that the underside of the dash was a green color? (by the fuse / relay board)

For some reason, cars of all colors had factory light green under the dash. Must have had a bunch of left over paint and the bean-counters in control!!
djsinister702
thank Lou,
hmmmm cant find my code in there.
ChrisFix
QUOTE (djsinister702 @ Apr 22 2005, 11:52 AM)
thank Lou,
hmmmm cant find my code in there.

Found a google answer for L97A - VW Diamond Silver Metallic....

http://www.gti16v.org/vwcc1979.htm

and another:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...:en-US:official
djsinister702
hmmm ,
i guess my red dragon is not the orginal color...oh well

here some pics as i begin working on the installation
djsinister702
speakers grill got a new face lift
djsinister702
sound proofing with noise mat
djsinister702
amp wire ...feed thru an existing screw hole ...no drill yeah yeah
djsinister702
amp wire ...feed it thru the center console
djsinister702
speaker wires and rca wire to the amp...located in the front trunk.. found a hole behind the glove compartment.....
again ..no drilling
djsinister702
rear speakers are mounted behind the seats....drill into existing screw hole that hole the back pad .....so again.....no extra drilling..
AZ914
Great progress!!

My seat is all the way back so I don't think that speaker location would work for me but thats a great idea.

Where are you mounting the AMP?
djsinister702
well i am short...so i pull my seat all the way up biggrin.gif
the amp will be located in the front trunk....i am gonna design
a false bottom to hide the amp.....
hopefully it will work
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.