Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anodizing 5 lug hubs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sj914
I'm going to be using front hubs off an 87 carrera and they've got some oxidizing on them. Instead of painting or powdercoating, would anodizing hold up the heat and grease that these things are exposed to. Also I'm worried about the process of anodizing, its basically dipped in the process to coat the part. I'm not sure if it will effect the fitting of the bearings. Has anyone done this before on their hubs? Any experience on this process to educate me before I make anymore mistakes would be appreciated.
anthony
Why bother? You can't really see them.

Eric_Shea
Yes... and I think it's a great idea. I've seen those things so heavily corroded that chunks were flaking off.

Anodizing is an electrostatic etching process that etches a layer of the aluminum giving it a "skin" that protects very well. You wont have any problems with the bearings.
sj914
QUOTE (anthony @ Apr 21 2005, 04:42 PM)
Why bother? You can't really see them.

I agree you can't see them, but i want to keep them from oxidizing.

The site of a rusting car car is enough oxidizing for me.
bondo
You have to remove all non-aluminum parts before anodizing. Not all alloys are anodizable, so you have to check that. Anodizing doesn't change the dimesnions very much, so the bearings should still fit fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.