Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More questions from a new guy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jarclay
Just another new guy with alot of questions. But first many thanks again for all the replys I got on my last post when my wet car would'nt start. O.K. here they are.
1. Do cars that did'nt come with fog lights have the brakets to mount them behind the grills?
2. My 73 came with a short console for a/c, the vinyl on the sides has torn and the what I would call electro stitching is letting go on the other parts of the console.
Does anybody recover these?
3. Will the distrb. and ecu for a 71 1.7 work on my 73 2.0.?
4. My seats are black with cloth inserts, they need to be recovered. Are leather seat covers avail. or would they have to custom made. From my catalogs I see upholstry runs about $225.00 a seat for the reg. vinyl.
5. Do I need to install the copper looking bellows therm. on the car in a mild climate like Dallas?
6. My car came with fac. front and rear sway bars but the rear has had the end links removed. I have heard even the race cars don't use the rear bars ?? comments???
7. I'm an old vette guy and have saratoga tops on my cars in the past. I remember a top for 914's in the catalog are they ever seen used and and if so are they astronomical???
Fingers getting tired, all I can think of for now. Thanks for the Help....
James B.
Bleyseng
1. If it didn't come with fog lites the brackets won't be there. Big deal! Get the CAMP 914 driving lites w/ SS bracket as they are WAY better.
2. Find another console
3. Yes if they are for a 73 1.7
4. Check World Uphostry's site for seat covers and they do have leather kits $$$$
5. Yes
6. For a stock car hook them up
7. Hahahahaha they are a joke on a 914, leak like crazy plus turn it into a oven!!

Geoff
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (jarclay @ Apr 21 2005, 04:50 PM)
1. Do cars that did'nt come with fog lights have the brakets to mount them behind the grills?

Sometimes, but not IMHO that often.

2.  My 73 came with a short console for a/c, the vinyl of the sides has torn and the what I would call electro stitching is letting go on the other parts of the console.
 Does anybody recover these?

Individuals do, and I'm sure Dr. Evil can get it done as well. But not identical to stock, I don't think. Those fake stitches and heat-sealing seem somewhat difficult to replicate precisely. (Check in the "member parts and services" section of the BBS for his contact info.)

3.  Will the distrb. and ecu for a 71 1.7 work on my 73 2.0.?

The distributor will work. The ECU might, I forget if any of the wiring is different. But the engine will not run correctly. It will be just a little "off" with the distributor, and if the ECU works it will probably result in driveability problems. Perhaps even lean mixtures (which would be VERY BAD).

4.  My seats are black with cloth inserts, they need to be recovered.  Are leather seat covers avail. or would they have to custom made.  From my catalogs I see upholstry runs about $225.00  a seat for the reg. vinyl.

I haven't seen leather seat covers. (The slip-on ones, right?) I've seen seats that were recovered in leather or partial leather. Again, see Dr. Evil.

5.  Do I need to install  the copper looking bellows therm. on the car  in a mild climate like Dallas?

Lots of people have opinions on this one. Mine is, it couldn't hurt and it will probably help the engine live a little longer.

6. My car came with fac.  front and rear sway bars but the rear has had the end links removed.  I have heard even the race cars don't use the rear bars ??  comments???

When my car had stock suspension, I preferred the handling with the stock rear bar. When I upgraded the suspension, I feel the rear bar is overkill. If you actually have the drop-links, try putting them on and see how you like it. If not, don't worry about it.

The theory is that the rear bar can lead you to pick up a rear wheel in a corner, or at least significantly lighten the load on it, possibly to the point where it loses traction under acceleration. It can also bottom out by hitting the trunk floor. This is more of a problem in a car that has been lowered significantly. So, in general, people have increased the rear roll stiffness of the car by putting in bigger springs, not by fiddling with the rear sway bar.

7.  I'm an old vette guy and have saratoga tops on my cars in the past.  I remember a top for 914's in the catalog are they ever seen used and and if so are they astronomical???

They tend to go for a grand or more on Evil-Bay. They generally fit rather poorly, the window seals are unobtanium, and they are mostly looked down upon by most of the folks here.

--DD
jr91472
I'll answer what I can:

4. I found a guy up here in McKinney that recovered both of mine in basket weave leather for about $650. You can see them at the upcoming 914 breakfast.

5. I don't have mine installed, but I hardly ever run in the winter. You should be more worried about if you need an external oil cooler for the summer.

Bleyseng
73 1.7 and 2.0L ECU's are the same..... as in no difference. Its all in the MPS and CHT with the ballast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.