Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What paint to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
I'm sure this gets asked every so often , but I'm trying to figure out what primer, base and clear to get for a re-spray, no bare metal. Something that looks good and not way expensive. The color is going to be Baja red. And a good online place to buy from. Thanks in a advance for any help with this.
Chris914n6
Go to a local paint store. The free advice is worth the little extra cost.

The counter guy I talked to still paints his own stuff and actually recommended a mix match of brands based on my color and clear (UV) needs that was known to be good and not based on the cheapest or priciest.
altitude411
Head over to the bird site. Fantastic paint and bodywork forum. Lots of info and 962porsche is the resident guru. beerchug.gif

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodyw...scussion-forum/
saigon71
Agreed on buying from a local paint shop. Much easier to handle any problems and get advice.

Have you considered using single stage paint? I had mine shot in acrylic enamel over the existing paint years ago. It's holding up very well and still looks good.
worn
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Nov 3 2016, 06:38 PM) *

Head over to the bird site. Fantastic paint and bodywork forum. Lots of info and 962porsche is the resident guru. beerchug.gif

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/paint-bodyw...scussion-forum/

Speaking of the bird - and not to really hijack the thread - Is it my imagination or has the bird taken a bit of a nose dive? No longer are there product descriptions very often poor pictures, the wiring diagrams aren't in evidence any more, etc. I know that the seller of overcooked SUVs threatened them when they used photos from the PRTs, but this seems broader. The cheap way is to set up a forum and get a reputation for the advice given by itself.

BTW - I wanted original and went with DCC. But I did go to bare metal with epoxy DT-40 and then K36 primer. All in the same paint family. I so love epoxy primer!! You know you can use it as a sealant to block off the old paint.
Chris914n6
The sun trashes red dyes faster than all the others. Otherwise I don't have an issue with single stage for a low budget makeover.
worn
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 4 2016, 11:32 AM) *

The sun trashes red dyes faster than all the others. Otherwise I don't have an issue with single stage for a low budget makeover.

Yeah, that is what my paint guy told me. But red it started with...
PancakePorsche
Epoxy primer/sealer and single stage polyurethane. PPG is good all around for the price.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(worn @ Nov 4 2016, 01:12 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 4 2016, 11:32 AM) *

Yeah, that is what my paint guy told me. But red it started with...

Then spray a good clear over it. I think my guy liked the ProSpray clear as best band for the buck.
Wdunster
Go to a PPG Jobber(auto paint supplier) and get the shop line products. 2k primers base and the euroclear. Very in expensive but will look great and hold up way longer than a single stage. Also very repairable if damaged later.
Good luck.
Mikey914
I've used PPG been quite happy with results.
mgp4591
Is there a self etching primer that works well with existing paint if it's properly prepared?
Mark Henry
For base primer I've always felt PPG epoxy is one, of if not the best primer/sealers.
I don't paint much now, but I've had good results with PPG paints even their lower tier line and also on the cheap end DuPont Nason is excellent. I won't use the real cheap no name brands.
Chromacoat you can no longer get, never have tried the water based paints.
IIRC scooter really likes Spies-Hecker, high end paint.

Black DuPont Nason is what use for chassis parts, great stuff, wears like iron. I've even brushed it on with decent results. Nason is originally a truck/fleet paint.
Wdunster
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 8 2016, 07:38 AM) *

For base primer I've always felt PPG epoxy is one, of if not the best primer/sealers.
I don't paint much now, but I've had good results with PPG paints even their lower tier line and also on the cheap end DuPont Nason is excellent. I won't use the real cheap no name brands.
Chromacoat you can no longer get, never have tried the water based paints.
IIRC scooter really likes Spies-Hecker, high end paint.

Black DuPont Nason is what use for chassis parts, great stuff, wears like iron. I've even brushed it on with decent results. Nason is originally a truck/fleet paint.

agree.gif the PPG epoxy is an excellent product. When I was in restoration we used the epoxy on raw steel chassis and frames. It sticks extremely well. The inexpensive stuff is better than it used to be. I would try to stick with something that is covered by the paint companies lifetime warranty. That typically means the UV protection is better and will hold up to sunlight.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(worn @ Nov 4 2016, 07:46 AM) *
... No longer are there product descriptions very often poor pictures, the wiring diagrams aren't in evidence any more, etc. I know that the seller of overcooked SUVs threatened them when they used photos from the PRTs, but this seems broader.

The wiring diagrams are still there, but it's more of a hunt for them. They're under the parts diagrams now, which still require a hunt to find.

The other stuff is probably symptomatic of a business expanding fairly rapidly and not able to put as much care into things as they had been originally. Or at least, that's my guess.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.