Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: center console opinons please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
frankieshooz
So as a result of taking out my AC I find I need to buy a new center console the question is who makes the best one?
Pelican $269
AA $246
914 Rubber $210
and also there is the composite dimensions piece in CF $500

Has anyone compared the main 3 and have any feedback? comments appreciated !!
Also wondering what club members think of the CF one.....looks well made but really on the fence about non stock items in car....
Coondog
Personally I like the whole CF look, with that said make your purchase from 914 rubber. They put out quality products and are a 914-World friend when it comes to EVERYTHING.
mb911
My guess is that they are probably all made by 914 rubber
Mark Henry
As far as the stock console goes I hate it, I actually have to take my right shoe off to drive a car with a stock console. I'm only a size 10 wide.
My 15 year old boy tried one in his car and said the same thing, his shoe was getting stuck between the console and brake pedal. No surprise as he's a couple sizes bigger than me.

I have a mint console sitting on a shelf somewhere, I do like the armrest/junk box.
bdstone914
The Pelican one is made by AA. Actually pretty good quality. I would still buy from 914 Rubber to keep any $$ going to George at AA.
iankarr
I bought the one from 914 rubber. Super high quality and I seem to have more foot room than the stock console. No interference for me. I also like that you can order it with the original gauge hole size...or one that accommodates modern sized gauges. Would totally buy again.

One thing...don't forget the bracket which secures the console to the underside of the dash. Check to make sure that the weird little nuts encased in rubber are already up there, ready to receive the bracket. Otherwise you'll need to improvise something, as they're NLA...

Here's a pic of my setup...

Click to view attachment
pvollma
QUOTE(frankieshooz @ Nov 4 2016, 04:07 AM) *

Also wondering what club members think of the CF one.....looks well made but really on the fence about non stock items in car....

I have the CF one. Despite the price, I really enjoy the fact that they don't extend the console to the firewall, fixing the problem for those who habitually get their shoe caught in the console. It is extremely well built and solid, and the structural pieces are put together with machine screws and nuts, not wood screws (the gauge and shifter panels still use velcro for easy removal).
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
iankarr
that's super nice!
Carl456
Agreed. That does look quite nice.
JamesM
QUOTE(frankieshooz @ Nov 4 2016, 12:07 AM) *

So as a result of taking out my AC I find I need to buy a new center console the question is who makes the best one?
Pelican $269
AA $246
914 Rubber $210
and also there is the composite dimensions piece in CF $500

Foot catching under the brake pedal is a very real problem with the stock console during aggressive driving/autocrossing. I have never seen that CF console before but that is cool that they addressed the issue.

What are you doing with your old A/C bits? I have a dealer A/C chassis that I have been toying with the idea of resurrecting but someone disposed of all the A/C bits. I also have an extra factory console I might be up to trade.
Mr.Nobody
I just recently ordered the console directly from 914ap. I have yet to receive it, but so far their service has been excellent. I an still deciding about exactly which size gauges I'll be using so they went ahead and threw in an extra front piece that will allow me to make that decision between older style vdo, and newer sized gauges at a later date.

I'll post up when I receive the console.
frankieshooz
Wow all good replies....I have never had an issue with my foot getting stuck...That CF one looks tasty but I'm wrestling with the stock vs non stock look...still....tasty..
James, as far as the AC thing I haven't figured out if I'm going to sell it or not. It's a complete set that works perfectly plus its original dealer installed from 1973! its also the PorscheAire unit which i think is quite a desirable unit....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.