Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Capn's valve adjustment tested
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
I was taught the Capn's valve adjustment procedure many years ago by a dealership porsche mechanic, but never really understood it, cause he didn't give me the theory, just the procedure. Yesterday, I put the theory to practice. For the test, all were adjusted according to factory specs for the 2.0L (6in & 8ex). I've been doing all at .005.

First, I adjusted them at TDC with both valves on a cylinder closed at the same time. Then I rechecked them. All was good. smile.gif Replaced valve covers, started engine, and it clattered like hell.

Next, I checked them according to said instructions, and here's what I found. All but 2 valves were off. some were .002 tight, some were .002 loose, and one intake was .003 tight. Yes, .003 tight!!!! ohmy.gif It was at .003. Rolled it around and checked again. Same results. Readjusted, went back and rechecked at tdc method, and only the same two were spot on. The rest were all over the place. Buttoned it up, fired it up, and smooth as silk.

Thanks Cap'n, for the tutorial. pray.gif beer.gif
machina
curt,

I just went thru the same damn thing tonight but I started with the Capn's method and then re-checked them at TDC to make sure. When I went to TDC most were too tight from using Capn's method.

I talked to Jake and he said to use the TDC method and he did build the motor so that's what I did. Its just wierd that they don't come out the same. I understand the pricinpal of Capn's way and it makes sense but its hard to argue with TDC, and I made sure she was exactly lined up at TDC too.

Thought maybe it was because I have a radical cam with lots of overlap or maybe something to do with the roller rockers but sounds like you had the same experience.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.