Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New original design
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Optimusglen
EDIT: I made this original post awhile ago. While I can still do posters there was not enough interest to go for a big screen printing order so shirts are off the table.

What do you all think?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Will be making a few small edits before print, like adding a subtle license plate, but any other glaring issues you see?

It's an original design, created to mimic a comic book style.
don-6
Great design!
ben*james
I really like the poster. Not sure I'd have the exhaust ports so close together though. I'm in for one though regardless!
mb911
Looks awesome
Chris914n6
2 down, he's about to be boxed in by the trailers. Maybe swap lanes implying passing?

Yellow corners are euro taillights if going for accuracy.

Colored needles makes me think colored lenses in the others?

4 down, black rear window blends with the lid and looks off when all other windows are their own shade.

plate, seventy smile.gif
Bartlett 914
I think it looks really nice. I do think it is a little busy for a Tee Shirt. I see 3 shirt designs not one. But that is my opinion
mbseto
Looks great, but I'm curious too-- what's with the trucks?
mgp4591
I like the design but not on the front of the shirt... maybe a small logo or a single smaller frame on the upper front left of the shirt - think some of the Harley shirts you've seen. Other changes at your discretion but I'd be in for at least one with my ideas. Nice work!
Cairo94507
I am in for 2 regardless. Maybe add a 914-6 emblem and trunk button on the rear? I would also cut the interior view and reduce to 3 views. beerchug.gif
Mr.Nobody
I dig it on the front of the shirt, I'll definitely take one.
SO.O.C914er
The shirt is on fire. I agree small logo in the front big in the back. Drop the 914-6 just make it a 914 that covers the group overall. I'm in for two navy blue or black. Paul
My 914
I think its an awesome poster. I also agree with some of the other posts that the design is too busy for the front of a shirt, but do feel that any one of the cars alone would look great on a shirt as a logo.
carcus
Keep me updated. Interested. Still looking for a 914 hat also.
Alphaogre
I would defiantly be interested in a shirt...
kid914
in for a shirt. would be nice in a cotton blend. ;-) smilie_pokal.gif
Optimusglen
I have to continually remind myself some important things about being a designer and artist. My day job is a mechanical and industrial designer, and it seems these things are constants.

First, I have to listed to constructive criticism.

Second, when you're a designer and you design something and ask for opinions, suddenly every person you ask is also a designer and artist. Tongue in cheek of course.

Third, to keep this as something I love to do I need to follow my own artistic eye, even if that means loosing potential sales. Trying to please everyone is a sure way to please no-one.

I say this because I've made some changes based on some of your thoughts. And because I ignored other ideas many of you had. If that bugs you, I'm sorry, please move along.

Changes:
-gauge needles are no longer orange. I decided to keep this all black and white.
-the car was having an identity crisis with US spec front signals, euro spec rear lenses, and no badges. I've updated the rear signals and added a badge and rear trunk button.
-also added a license plate, I didn't go with some cheeky quip, left it pretty normal, it's actually the old plate number of my current car
-officially, the car will be a 914-6 with flares added, because I didn't want the additional GT stuff (i.e. trunk tie downs, GT engine lid, etc)
-window colors have been corrected
-and I added a little detail here and there.

For the shirts I am going to pursue non-screen printed versions, I'll get a couple test shirts made to gauge quality and price. But the goal is to get away from the minimum order needed for screen printed shirts. This also means that I can do multiple styles. As of now I'd do one of my original placement, and another that has the whole comic on the back, and just a small car on the upper front off to the side.

IPB Image

Many of you might notice that the PORSCHE text is absent, I've been going back and fourth on this aspect. On one hand, I love that layout of text on the engine lid. On the other, I'm trying to avoid anything that could be considered copyright infringement. Recently some of my artwork was reported as such on my print shop website, merely because the titles of the pieces included the words Audi on one and BMW on the other. It's a little maddening.

Anyway, that's the update. I'll be getting some test prints today for the poster, and shirt information will follow down the line.
Andyrew
The question I have is what was the original Japanese spec for the lights on the car, did it have the solid red or did it have the Euro tails/front turns??

Also I would love to see the turn signal in the boxed picture, In the Anime they always use their signals smile.gif

I would be 100% interested in this smile.gif

Maybe you should explain what the background/art style is about? I dont think it would detract from the potential buyers as its a fantastic story between man and machine.
Cairo94507
I want 2 XL shirts - these would be very cool in sweat shirt too. I like the idea of a small image on chest and the large image on the rear. Nice work and thanks for doing this and opening yourself up to comments. smilie_pokal.gif
davesprinkle
First of all, I have to say that I respect that you're staying true to your own aesthetic. You're the artist.

Second, you've got a lot of talent. This is obvious from this graphic and also the images in your other thread. Nicely done.

Finally (not that it matters, see my first comment) here's what I prefer about the first version: I like the orange needle on the tachometer, and I liked the trailer in the second frame intruding into the first frame.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Nov 8 2016, 11:41 PM) *

First of all, I have to say that I respect that you're staying true to your own aesthetic. You're the artist.

Second, you've got a lot of talent. This is obvious from this graphic and also the images in your other thread. Nicely done.

Finally (not that it matters, see my first comment) here's what I prefer about the first version: I like the orange needle on the tachometer, and I liked the trailer in the second frame intruding into the first frame.

The trailer overlap stood out, which made it the center of attention, but it's not the main character.

I liked the orange needles too, it gave that scene it's "character". I think orange exhaust would add to the overall appeal of action with the main character.

I think the six bumper "indent" has sharper looking corners. Could just be my eyes confused24.gif

I did graphic design for a decade, mostly signs, a few logos. I tend to notice the little things smile.gif Hope you don't mind. beerchug.gif
NME73
I think your design is awesome great talent and your right when you are the designer you take pride and do what you like wink.gif im a designer by trade I use cad all day no time to do these things but im thinking of doing some now I want a shirt let me know if you can make a long sleeve sweater or hoodie....and on your Porsche letter comments and copyright infringement, why don't you put Porsche but blurr it so you just know it is there but cant read it so they cant say it says Porsche ya know...keep it up you should make a cool hat too my idea of a hat was just the front end half of it on left side of hat or rear of car placed in center of hat
Optimusglen
Thanks guys, this is an older thread and I haven't touched this piece is a while apart from getting a super giant printout for one fan. T-shirts are off the table for now, just not enough interest to be able to get a whole batch printed. Posters are available, see society6.com/autoillustrated for several size options
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Nov 4 2016, 09:16 AM) *

EDIT: I made this original post awhile ago. While I can still do posters there was not enough interest to go for a big screen printing order so shirts are off the table.

What do you all think?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Will be making a few small edits before print, like adding a subtle license plate, but any other glaring issues you see?

It's an original design, created to mimic a comic book style.

The artwork is absolutely beautiful.
You captured the proportion and lines of the car perfectly. wub.gif
No T shirts ? sad.gif
Please do T shirts !
Please inform when posters are available
Socalandy
aktion035.gif I want

Poster and T
siverson
I'd like a poster!
Cairo94507
I would like both also.
sb914
I'd be in for a t-shirt
Krieger
I would want a poster if your doing them.
Optimusglen
Thanks guys! Shoot me a PM for a 13x19 poster, these are always available now that I have a quality printer at home. Here's an example of another poster I just finished up.

photos from my phone don't do the print justice.

IPB Image

close up of the detail

IPB Image

I may consider doing t-shirts again in the future, but to make it viable I need a bunch of pre-orders. I don't have enough cash laying around to put in a large screen printing order and then sit on them as single shirts sell one by one over the course of a year or two. I don't really make much on shirts since they need to be priced competitively and I try to include domestic shipping on anything I sell.

Larmo63
Do the design as you see fit. It's your art. I like the original in the first post.

It's great. Bravo.

I like all of your stuff!!!

davesprinkle
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Nov 30 2017, 09:51 AM) *

Thanks guys, this is an older thread and I haven't touched this piece is a while apart from getting a super giant printout for one fan. T-shirts are off the table for now, just not enough interest to be able to get a whole batch printed. Posters are available, see society6.com/autoillustrated for several size options

Optimusglen
Dude, awesome!!
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Dec 6 2017, 08:35 AM) *

Dude, awesome!!

Yeah. Very nice. It really ties the room together.
no1uno
add my name to the list of tshirt buyers when you have enough to make it worthwhile
JmuRiz
I like that IROC wheel print, very cool. If only I had more room on my garage walls or in the basement family room.

Maybe I could convince my wife to allow it in my daughter's room...it looks like flowers right?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.