Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seatbelt question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I was looking at seatbelts on seatbeltplanet.com. They have a listing for retractable belts that will fit a 73-76, but my 72 has the cutouts in the firewall. I currently have retractable belts on it but would like to play it safe and get new ones.

Here is the listing:
https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/seatbelts-an...ts/332/view/125

I talked to someone there and I think I can use the ones they sell. If they fit 73-76, they should fit mine, IF I have the cutouts, right?

QUESTION:
Do I need the metal "cage" piece shown in the picture? The seatbeltplanet ones do not have this piece.

I could cut a slot in it and insert the belt, but I'd rather not. I'm not sure if I can loop the belt thru it, either.

Anyone buy these or have any input/experience with this?

Anyone use this company before? They seem really knowledgeable.
ThunderbirdDrive
I used these very ones in my '76. Direct fit, plug and play.
I'd recommend them.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Nov 4 2016, 07:40 PM) *

I was looking at seatbelts on seatbeltplanet.com. They have a listing for retractable belts that will fit a 73-76, but my 72 has the cutouts in the firewall. I currently have retractable belts on it but would like to play it safe and get new ones.
L
Here is the listing:

I talked to someone there and I think I can use the ones they sell. If they fit 73-76, they should fit mine, IF I have the cutouts, right?

QUESTION:
Do I need the metal "cage" piece shown in the picture? The seatbeltplanet ones do not have this piece.

I could cut a slot in it and insert the belt, but I'd rather not. I'm not sure if I can loop the belt thru it, either.

914 RZ-1
Did you need or use the metal cages?

QUOTE(ThunderbirdDrive @ Nov 4 2016, 09:25 PM) *

I used these very ones in my '76. Direct fit, plug and play.
I'd recommend them.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Nov 4 2016, 07:40 PM) *

L
Here is the listing:

QUESTION:

mmascari
Hey Thunderbird, are those belts "Red" or "Flame Red"? They offer two colors, just curious which ones are in your pictures. Thanks
McMark
They help guide the belt so that it spools straight on the reel. I wouldnt leave them out. If the chrome is flaking it can hang/catch on the webbing and impede retraction. Ideally you should send them out for rechroming.
db9146
No to highjack the thread but has anyone fitted retractable belts to an early 914 w/o the pockets in the firewall?

Okay, I'm highjacking the thread....but only a little. Still OT...sort of.
seanpaulmc
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 6 2016, 10:33 AM) *

They help guide the belt so that it spools straight on the reel. I wouldnt leave them out. If the chrome is flaking it can hang/catch on the webbing and impede retraction. Ideally you should send them out for rechroming.

What is a reasonable cost for the rechroming of the guide bracket? I got this quote through emailing a vendor pictures. Reasonable? Note, I had only asked about the chrome guide bracket but they expanded a bit probably because of the pictures.

Guide bracket: $60.00 to $75.00 each
Seat belt reel: $85.00 to $100.00 each
Small triangle mounting bracket: $35.00 to $45.00 each.
A 6% metals fee, sales tax and any return shipping is added to all jobs. 50%(cash or check only) deposit.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Don't know what this service costs so I have no reference other than cost for a set of new belts. Thank you!!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(seanpaulmc @ May 19 2017, 11:22 AM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 6 2016, 10:33 AM) *

What is a reasonable cost for the rechroming of the guide bracket? I got this quote through emailing a vendor pictures. Reasonable? Note, I had only asked about the chrome guide bracket but they expanded a bit probably because of the pictures.

Guide bracket: $60.00 to $75.00 each
Seat belt reel: $85.00 to $100.00 each
Small triangle mounting bracket: $35.00 to $45.00 each.
A 6% metals fee, sales tax and any return shipping is added to all jobs. 50%(cash or check only) deposit.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Don't know what this service costs so I have no reference other than cost for a set of new belts. Thank you!!

I almost think it would be cheaper to make a new one from Stainless steel
Andyrew
Seem quite expensive to me since those parts are typically throw away items
slotty008
I polished my guide brackets with a sanding paper and a fine steel brush on a dremel. They feel very smooth again and it gives them a certain patina. And it's free.
Larmo63
Those chrome guides can be carefully split and re-used.

Carefully.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Nov 5 2016, 03:05 PM) *
Did you need or use the metal cages?

Seatbelt retractors only work if the belt is pulled out straight, which is why the metal "cage" is there.

Anything that makes the belt not pull perfectly straight will make your new belts useless ...
shades.gif
Shadowfax
I didn't reuse that piece. The Seat Belt Planet kit comes with a guide plate that takes its place. I haven't had any issues with the belts not retracting properly. Sorry I didn't take pics of my install.
GeorgeRud
A retractable option for early cars to replace the original Repa belts. Auto Atlanta sells (sold) them and they bolt right into the upper pillar. Much more user friendly than the originals.

Click to view attachment
914 RZ-1
I have these same seat belts and did not put in the chrome piece and they work fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.