Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roof retexture
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
garrettlee2
Does anyone in southern California know of a good shop that could retexter a targa top or is there a good do it yourself method out there?
bdstone914
QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ Nov 5 2016, 03:31 PM) *

Does anyone in southern California know of a good shop that could retexter a targa top or is there a good do it yourself method out there?

There have been a couple of threads where members had their tops restored for about $300. When did you become a CW? poke.gif
garrettlee2
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 5 2016, 03:34 PM) *

There have been a couple of threads where members had their tops restored for about $300. When did you become a CW? poke.gif

¿CW? No I swear it's not for me it's for...my friend.
Localboy808
QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ Nov 5 2016, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 5 2016, 03:34 PM) *

¿CW? No I swear it's not for me it's for...my friend.

I did mine in wrinkle paint by VHT. I like the way it came out. Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Looks pretty darn good biggrin.gif
rgalla9146
Buy another roof and repaint it ?
Localboy808
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 5 2016, 07:39 PM) *

Looks pretty darn good biggrin.gif

Thanks! Took two full cans in case anyone is interested. Follow the instructions on the can. Basically the heavier the coats. The more wrinkles. Do your coats vertically. Horizontally. And diagonally to avoid streaks.
garrettlee2
Did you sand it smooth before you wrinkle painted it turned out great
Localboy808
QUOTE(garrettlee2 @ Nov 5 2016, 08:41 PM) *

Did you sand it smooth before you wrinkle painted it turned out great

No I didn't. It had most of the original texture still there. A few smooth spots. I used a scotch brite type pad on it just to break up the loose stuff. Then cleaned it really good. Then just shot the wrinkle paint. It looks great in person. And this stuff is made for high temperatures. Seems very tough. I'm not sure how it will hold up in the sun. Doubt it has any UV rating. But my car is garaged most of the time and it would be pretty easy to redo. AutoZone carries the paint if you want to give it a try.
BeemerSteve
Local Rhino Lining will do mine for $150. Tuff stuff!
JawjaPorsche
Line-X did mine and looks awesome plus it is very durable.
bdstone914
I have at least six spare tops if you want one for practice.
Bruce
914Sixer
Didn't the Line-X and Rhino Liner add a bunch of weight to the top since it is so heavy?
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 6 2016, 07:38 AM) *

Didn't the Line-X and Rhino Liner add a bunch of weight to the top since it is so heavy?

I don't know about bunch but it is heavier. However, I do go to the gym so I didn't notice it. smile.gif
CptTripps
It really doesn't add that much weight. A 1-gal can of the stuff only weighs 5lb and that's for an entire truck bed. I'd hazard a guess that this only adds 1-2lb of weight.
McMark
I researched the stock approach and was able to recreate it. I can also fix chipped corners. I can get closer to the original texture/pebbles than any other solution.
Localboy808
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 6 2016, 09:21 AM) *

I researched the stock approach and was able to recreate it. I can also fix chipped corners. I can get closer to the original texture/pebbles than any other solution.

Looks great!
flat4guy
I like the way the VHT paint turned out, I think I might try this soon.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 6 2016, 06:21 AM) *

That's spot-on perfect Mark!
patssle
I had Line-X done 5 or so years ago. Still looks great today!
porbmw
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 6 2016, 06:21 AM) *

Looks pretty stock!
Do you refinish them as one of your services and, if so, what is your fee (shipping...?..may be a bit prohibitive?)

If it is not a trade secret, might you share?

Paul
McMark
I've been thinking about documenting the process in more detail, but it's basically, sanding the top flat (as if painting it), repairing cracks or chips with proper fiberglass materials and then reshaping/smoothing, thorough cleaning and degreasing, then reshooting surface texture.

I do offer the service, but the cost is in prep work, so the worse off the top is the more work/time it needs. It's not a simple process, regardless.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 6 2016, 07:21 AM) *

Nice work, Mark! I was told several six-figure restoration shops tried a bunch of different things and came up with solutions nowhere near as nice as yours.

Cheers!

pete
Spoke
I've used Rustoleum's Hammered paint on a roof before. Came out very good.
McMark
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 7 2016, 01:36 AM) *

Nice work, Mark! I was told several six-figure restoration shops tried a bunch of different things and came up with solutions nowhere near as nice as yours.

Cheers!

pete

Can you get some of their six figure clients my way? monkeydance.gif santa_smiley.gif
Wdunster
You can go to Autozone and get the aerosol bed liner. It replicates the factory look pretty good texture isn't quite as heavy but the gloss level is perfect. I can't remember if it was duplicator or another brand.
forrestkhaag
I shot Larmo's top some months back using a two part catalyzed epoxy bumper topper in satin black / The job was quick, permanent, and came out great and still looks perfect in Sweden or wherever "speedy" ended up in Europe. Mine was done as well and sees daily use thru sun rain and snow. the latter two condition are obviously Not a California condition.... blink.gif
porbmw
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 6 2016, 09:09 PM) *

I've been thinking about documenting the process in more detail, but it's basically, sanding the top flat (as if painting it), repairing cracks or chips with proper fiberglass materials and then reshaping/smoothing, thorough cleaning and degreasing, then reshooting surface texture.

I do offer the service, but the cost is in prep work, so the worse off the top is the more work/time it needs. It's not a simple process, regardless.

I imagine it is a lot of work...seems to be a common theme in "doing it right".
Can you let us know what product you used when you got to reshooting?
Thanks
Paul
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 7 2016, 05:59 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 7 2016, 01:36 AM) *

Cheers!

pete

Can you get some of their six figure clients my way? monkeydance.gif santa_smiley.gif

PM sent. smile.gif
bandjoey
I used Duplicolor Bedliner Spray on the front valence. There's a learning curve on how far away to shoot to get the pattern as you like it. Too close and it gobs on too heavy. I think it would do good on the top. Light spray, multiple coats.
garrettlee2
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Nov 7 2016, 08:49 AM) *

I shot Larmo's top some months back using a two part catalyzed epoxy bumper topper in satin black / The job was quick, permanent, and came out great and still looks perfect in Sweden or wherever "speedy" ended up in Europe. Mine was done as well and sees daily use thru sun rain and snow. the latter two condition are obviously Not a California condition.... blink.gif

Did you use SEM medicated bumper ointment
Eric_Shea
Mark's tops are BY FAR the best restorations I've ever seen. They are spot on factory correct.
mark04usa
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 6 2016, 09:21 AM) *

agree.gif This top restoration just looks so right. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.