Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Different kind of oil question. Got it, ZDDP in Oil, Using BP20/50 Racing oil now, but..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oakdalecurtis
Got the message, changed to BradPenn 20/50 Racing oil recently. My '76 120,000 mile 914/4 2.0 loves it, no more white smoke on decal either. But I have to pass smog every 2 years and am wondering if I am damaging my catalytic converter? Could this hurt my car's ability to pass smog? If so, what other oil would someone recommend for my situation?
Valy
I try to run my car on unleaded gas. Do you run your car on OIL?
No, it will not damage your catalytic converter.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(Valy @ Nov 6 2016, 08:27 AM) *

I try to run my car on unleaded gas. Do you run your car on OIL?
No, it will not damage your catalytic converter.

Did you bump your head this morning Valy, or is the Daylight Savings Time switch getting you up too early? chair.gif
Krieger
I think that was the argument for reducing zddp levels. The perspective I would have is if your car ran from 1976 to 2006 (I think that's when they change the levels) with old school levels of zddp and you had to change your cat out once or twice so what. Cats are much cheaper and easier to change out then the internal parts of your motor. Don't sweat it.
Rand
You have a cat on your 914?
oakdalecurtis
sometimes, when the car is warm....
Click to view attachment
Rand
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Cats do love them when the engine is warm.

IPB Image
Andyrew
Curtis,

I would just run a non catted exhaust system most of the year and swap to your stock cat system when you need to smog. Thats what most sports car guys do smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.