Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bilstein installation into Boge type strut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
hi guys,

i'm in the process of installing bilstein inserts (PN 34-001134 / P36-0113) into my original boge (914-341-903-00 / 10391 32 0570) style struts.

the bilstein inserts move right in w/o any problems, except, when I use the bilstein nut, it doesn't meet the flanch/top of boge strut. there is a gap of about 2.5mm.

I have done some search on the forum here and found only 1 comments that confirmed it's OK like that and to use blue Loctite. there has to be more bilstein installations out there!?!?

tried to double check on bilstein.com and their webpage sucks.

1) is the 2.5mm gap ok and do you guys use blue loctide.

2) what's the torque value for the bilstein nut, I found 80, 150 and 240Nm?

3) and where can I get that fricking bilstein ring-nut-tool to tight the nut?

thanks in advance,
dc

and a few pics for your viewing pleasure:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
As long as you have adequate thread engagement that gap is fine.
The nut isn't supposed to bottom out.
jmill
Call Bilstein and they'll sell you the tool. I paid more in shipping than for the tool.
draganc
QUOTE(jmill @ Nov 7 2016, 06:05 PM) *

Call Bilstein and they'll sell you the tool. I paid more in shipping than for the tool.

I did call their tech support and was told that I would have to contact a dealer, since they stopped selling them for about 10 years.

Where and when did you get yours?
jmill
I bought it maybe 5 years ago. They might be referring to when the tool came in the box. Call Bilstein east first and then try west. Bought mine from East.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/about-bilstein/contact/
914Sixer
Tools are on Ebay. I bought one last month. Look under VW MK1 Golf strut tools. There are TWO SIZES make sure you get the right one. Mine was $18 shipped.
colingreene
Thats bullshit, I bought one direct from bilstein, they also told me they would "try to just send it to me for shipping"
but thats not how that worked out.
If you need one i have it around here somewhere.
They really suck to deal with.
draganc
QUOTE(colingreene @ Nov 8 2016, 02:41 PM) *

Thats bullshit, I bought one direct from bilstein, they also told me they would "try to just send it to me for shipping"
but thats not how that worked out.
If you need one i have it around here somewhere.
They really suck to deal with.

Thanks for the offer! I just PMed you.
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 7 2016, 10:27 AM) *

Silly question, if the retaining nut doesn't thread all the way down. Will the actual shock move up and down within the boge struts? If it does, its not secure then. Please educate my small gray matter.
jcd914
QUOTE(396 @ Nov 9 2016, 01:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 7 2016, 10:27 AM) *

Silly question, if the retaining nut doesn't thread all the way down. Will the actual shock move up and down within the boge struts? If it does, its not secure then. Please educate my small gray matter.

It should be that the nut does not screw all the way down because it has contacted the strut insert, which has bottomed out on the strut. In which case as you tighten the nut down you are locking the strut insert in place. If the nut has bound and stopped before the strut insert has bottomed out in the strut then there is something else going on.

Jim
draganc
Hi Folks!

Just for the record and confirming what Racer Chris has already stated before,
here are some measurements for the next guy tackling the project:

Insert length, bottom to top of the "insert" part:

Boge 372mm, the insert sticks about 2mm out
Bilstein 368mm

The Bilstein retaining nut "inside" part is about 10.7mm high.
Once hand-tight with the insert in place, a 2.5mm gap remains,
hence, the nut ihas about 8.2mm grip or 4 full turns.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
draganc
Just for clarification, the above pics are obviously from the stock Boge install.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.