Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel line pressure question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
I switched the fuel pump to the front on my 73 teener a while back, and wonder if the brain trust here knows if the original plastic tunnel lines can handle the increased pressure safely? I know mine are in good condition now, but what lines did Porsche use when they moved the pump forward in 1975? All of the tank to pump and engine compartment lines are new, just beginning to have concern about tunnel lines.
jcd914
Porsche used a different material for the pressure line when they moved the pump up front.

Even if the material was not changed, there is no way I would trust 40 year old plastic lines with 30 PSI fuel pressure, even if the lines look in good shape. You can not tell the actual strength of the plastic lines by there appearance.

The lines in my 72 have been replaced with Stainleass Steel lines and my pump is still in the engine compartment.

Jim
McMark
I wouldn't.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 7 2016, 01:59 PM) *

I wouldn't.

agree.gif

Been there, done that. The plastic lines failed under pressure in Betty's car. Sprayed gas on the heat exchangers. The resulting fire almost put an end to our marriage.

Just got to tangerine racing and get a set of the stainless lines. It is cheap insurance.

napasteve
I had a fuel leak above the engine shelf with my old, original lines. I'm very lucky that my car didn't end up looking like the one in McMark's picture. Now I have new Tangerine SS lines and I don't worry about it.
Jamie
QUOTE(napasteve @ Nov 7 2016, 01:37 PM) *

I had a fuel leak above the engine shelf with my old, original lines. I'm very lucky that my car didn't end up looking like the one in McMark's picture. Now I have new Tangerine SS lines and I don't worry about it.

Thanks guys, just as I expected. Ordered the SS lines this afternoon, and this winter will have time to remove fuel tank and install.
Dave_Darling
They probably can handle it.

Do you want to risk your whole car on "probably"?

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.