Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bench shifting question....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mzalanka
For those who are actually familiar with the 901 tranny (I know there's a lot on here smile.gif )...

I just installed a rebuilt side shifter in my 75. Zero miles on the trans, acquired a half decade ago from a well known and regarded West Coast forum member who rebuilt it at a Dr Evil clinic.

Got the linkage set up perfectly. Shifts forward into 2nd with one finger. I am on year 6 of my project and the teener is not yet running, so I'm basically bench shifting it with the shifter, but in the car.

"Problem" is that it doesn't like to go into third, sometimes reverse. Shifts into 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th very smoothly, cold and sitting in garage. But especially 2nd to 3rd requires a lot of force & multiple attempts before it "clunks" into 3rd. Once it's in third, it will go back to neutral and third smooth, and also from 1st or 5th into third no prob. But it doesn't like to go back to 2nd or 4th and then back to third (*clunk*). sad.gif

Same thing with reverse - sometimes it won't go and I need to go into another gear first, then it will go.

Again, this is all not running - just shifting cold in the car without engine running or using clutch.

It's taken me 6 years to get to this juncture - HEs are not yet on the engine so if I need to pull the trans to adjust something now's the time. Or, is it just a matter of bench shifting a cold, fresh rebuilt trans and I need to relax & wait till it's running and warm to know if there's a problem?

Opinions welcome. Thanks.
rgalla9146
Is there lubricant in the transmission ?
If there is, find some way to keep the clutch pedal depressed to the floor.
Then, block one rear wheel from turning and rotate the other.
This will rotate the trans shafts and lubricate the moving parts.
After doing so, you'll get a better idea of how it shifts.
Even better, get the engine started and try it with the engine running and the clutch operating.
76-914
agree.gif
iankarr
Yep.

According to the good Dr. Evil, it's difficult to really assess how the transmission works without everything turning.
6freak
sorta the cart before the horse there fella...get the car running and then see what you have ! good luck
mzalanka
Well, gotta get 'er running. Thanks for the input.
PanelBilly
Stop playing with your stick and work on something else
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.