Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with Momo Steering Wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john_g
I want to get a Momo Prototipo for my 74 914. Other than the wheel itself, I understand that I need a hub adapter, yes? Does the JWest Eccentric Adapter fit the bill? Also, I understand that I need a metal horn button retainer. True, and if so, where do I get one of those? Do I need anything else to do a complete installation (including horn and turn signal cancellation functions)?
struckn
All you'll need should be a MOMO #8002 Adapter and a Horn Button. Go on EBay and Search for best deal, there's a lot of venders that sell them. The adapters cost about $70 - $80, Horn button's around $20 with the Porsche Emblem.
carr914
Best place to buy is LTB Autosports - Louis is a good guy

www.ltbautosports.com
oakdalecurtis
You may have to use a dremel tool to grind away a little of the aluminum on the inside of the adaptor to make the horn parts fit. Also, the JSWest eccentric adaptor is very cool, as it raises the smaller steering wheel up just enough so you can see your gauges again, and it gives you more legroom under the wheel, highly recommend one.
mgp4591
Are we talking about a quick release also? This is the way to go for a lot of us who want to leave the top off during most drives and want the security benefits...
john_g
QUOTE(oakdalecurtis @ Nov 7 2016, 06:09 PM) *

You may have to use a dremel tool to grind away a little of the aluminum on the inside of the adaptor to make the horn parts fit. Also, the JSWest eccentric adaptor is very cool, as it raises the smaller steering wheel up just enough so you can see your gauges again, and it gives you more legroom under the wheel, highly recommend one.

Does the JWest adapter take the place of the 8002 adapter?
ThunderbirdDrive
Click to view attachment

Photo of the turn signal cancel ring that is required. I had to drill out the screw holes a bit larger as the momo adapter had the threads ever so slightly off from the rings holes.

My original stock ring was worn on the brass contact area so I ended up replacing it. Both original ring and the new ring had the same fitment issue with the momo hub. Easy to fix though.

I find the momo hub adapter sits a tiny fraction closer to the dash, making it grind when turning occasionally. Again a bit of grinding down solved that issue.

john_g
QUOTE(ThunderbirdDrive @ Nov 8 2016, 01:33 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Photo of the turn signal cancel ring that is required. I had to drill out the screw holes a bit larger as the momo adapter had the threads ever so slightly off from the rings holes.

My original stock ring was worn on the brass contact area so I ended up replacing it. Both original ring and the new ring had the same fitment issue with the momo hub. Easy to fix though.

I find the momo hub adapter sits a tiny fraction closer to the dash, making it grind when turning occasionally. Again a bit of grinding down solved that issue.

Thanks for the help and photos, but again, will the JWest adapter take the place of the Momo 8002 one? And what about this metal horn button retainer, where do I get one?
jcd914
No, the JWest eccentric adapter goes between the steering wheel and the Momo hub.
It just offsets the steering wheel relative to the Momo hub.

Jim
Olympic 914
How does that work?

Do you lose legroom when the steering wheel is in a position 180 from straight ahead. ??

jcd914
QUOTE(Olympic 1.7 @ Nov 9 2016, 03:00 PM) *

How does that work?

Do you lose legroom when the steering wheel is in a position 180 from straight ahead. ??

Yes, the steering wheel is offset upward when the wheel is straight ahead which means it is offset downward when it is 180 out.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.