Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do with a missing air cleaner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesse7flying
Hi Everyone,
I recently bought my first 914, a 1971 1.7L off a World member. It needs some work (don't we all?), but is in decent enough shape. The original engine was swapped out with a 1911, but it came without an air cleaner. I know the OEM cleaner was an oil bath unit, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. I would love to hear some opinions on what I should/could do about the air cleaner problem. Thanks to all.
Jesse
Rand
There's a paper element that fits into the old air-bath housing. I can't remember the part # off hand, but maybe someone else will chime in. Are you missing the entire filter box?
GaroldShaffer
You can go with the plastic 73 1.7 air cleaner
Kansas 914
Oil bath air cleaners are a bit messy but they work really well.
BillC
You could put a WTB (Want To Buy) ad on the classified forum. I'm sure there are plenty of air filter housings floating around out there.
bdstone914
I might have a late type air cleaner. If you do go that route there is a warm air duct on the bsck of the tin that needs to be blocked off.
Mueller
I have one from my 1.7 I don't need anymore, pay shipping and it is yours...pretty sure paper style.
jesse7flying
Thanks for all the inputs. Yes, I'm missing the entire box. I guess I need to check the PET to see how each model year implements the air filter. Unfortunately, with the entire unit missing, it's a bit hard to visualize how everything goes together. BDSTONE and Mueller, I will probably PM you for a bit more info and I appreciate the offer of the air cleaners. Thanks again.
bdstone914
I have the air filter stand if you need it. Here is what the back tin looks like with the oil bath type. Note the hole in the vavk edge of the cylinder tin that is blocked off on this engine.
porschetub
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Nov 10 2016, 03:05 AM) *

Oil bath air cleaners are a bit messy but they work really well.

Exactly,they are very good if you live in a dusty area,best part is they don't clog up easily like a paper filter
The factory air cleaners are always the better option.
914bub
What's the word on paper filter availability? I looked for a later assembly a while ago to replace my oil bath on my '72 and was warned that the filters were tough to get. If I remember correctly someone claimed something would work but nobody ever came up with a part number.
confused24.gif
krazykonrad
I'm planning on bolting on a K&N cone filter where the filter housing would go. If someone would like to test this out for me, let me know how it works.

Konrad
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Nov 11 2016, 11:33 PM) *

I'm planning on bolting on a K&N cone filter where the filter housing would go. If someone would like to test this out for me, let me know how it works.

Konrad

Already been done. The k&n filters are a poor replacement for the oem paper filter.
Mueller
Pictures of air cleaner I have for you if it'll work.

I should have the sheet metal for it if I knew what it looks like.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
bdstone914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 13 2016, 12:52 PM) *

Pictures of air cleaner I have for you if it'll work.

I should have the sheet metal for it if I knew what it looks like.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

It is the one in the picture i posted. Below the passenger cylinder ton. silver zinc color. common to all engines except the oil bath 1.7
jesse7flying
Thanks guys. PMs sent.
Jesse
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.