Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What shade of yellow?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesse7flying
I recently bought a 1971 1.7L 914 that was originally blue, but was repainted yellow at some point in the past. The paint is not in bad shape, but I'm not crazy about the shade and some needed body work will probably require a repaint. I'll probably stay with yellow, but I'm wondering if some of you folks could post a picture of your pride and joy painted in Canary Yellow L11E, or Sunflower (Summer) Yellow, L13K so I can see the differences between the two. I don't think my current yellow is either one of those shades. Thanks very much.
Jesse
flmont
I don't have a pic,..But, I do like chrome yellow the best ???

if you have the 2016 calendar I would guess that car is chrome yellow...FM
My 914
Canary has a hint of green in it and Sunflower is a light color. I like Chrome the best as well, it looks like it has a little flourescense in it.
1970 Neun vierzehn
Jesse,
This is L11E. The yellow "deepens" in lower light conditions which is why I have included trunk photos.
Paul
gcrotvik
QUOTE(jesse7flying @ Nov 9 2016, 01:25 PM) *

I recently bought a 1971 1.7L 914 that was originally blue, but was repainted yellow at some point in the past. The paint is not in bad shape, but I'm not crazy about the shade and some needed body work will probably require a repaint. I'll probably stay with yellow, but I'm wondering if some of you folks could post a picture of your pride and joy painted in Canary Yellow L11E, or Sunflower (Summer) Yellow, L13K so I can see the differences between the two. I don't think my current yellow is either one of those shades. Thanks very much.
Jesse

Check out the P914 site. It has all the colors for each model year and some sample pictures: http://www.p914.com/p914_paint_71.htm
Tbrown4x4
Here is a pic of my '73 in Sunflower Yellow. The sun washes it out a bit, but it's a very pale yellow anyway. Almost pastel, and not very vibrant, but I've warmed up to it.

IPB Image
GeorgeRud
Canary yellow repainted in the early 80s.Click to view attachment
yellow75
Sunflower yellow 1975 L13K code.
porbmw
Nice yellow cars!

IF you don't want to go stock (and I do believe in stock), Audi has a very nice Imola yellow
Ky914Newbie
This tool is priceless....

914 Visualizer
Boomingbeetle
My "other" pride and joy, in Canary Yellow

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
jesse7flying
Wow guys, fabulous looking cars! Please keep them coming. I'm still considering going back to the original blue, but I've always had a soft spot in my heart for yellow, ever since I got my first Porsche, a '66 912 in Champagne Yellow. If I were going for a concourse 914, I might be more tempted to go back to blue, but this is going to be a weekend fun driver, hopefully, so I'm more inclined to find the right shade of yellow and go with it.
rgolia
Saturn or chrome yellowClick to view attachment
get off my lawn
NOT an original Porsche color:
TJB/914
Saturn Yellow also called Chrome Yellow (L-13M) first.gif
T w00t.gif
TJB/914
Saturn Yellow also called Chrome Yellow (L-13M) first.gif
T w00t.gif
TJB/914
(3) Yellows
70 Canary Yellow (front)
73-4 Sunflower Yellow (middle)
74 Chrome Yellow or Saturn Yellow (in the garage)

T- popcorn[1].gif
jesse7flying
Thanks TBJ, that was the money shot right there! Exactly what I needed. Problem is, I like them all!
Jesse
garrettlee2
L13K summer yellowClick to view attachment
TC 914-8
My yellow was listed as viper yellow w pearl, I think the original color was L13K. Click to view attachment
bkrantz
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Nov 12 2016, 08:06 PM) *

(3) Yellows
70 Canary Yellow (front)

T- popcorn[1].gif

Does anyone know the yellow on the other car (with the 5 spoke Fuchs)?
PanelBilly
If you’re not going to use OEM color why not pick a yellow from your paint supplier’s book. Don’t limit yourself to a Porsche color.
TJB/914
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jul 2 2020, 10:25 AM) *

QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Nov 12 2016, 08:06 PM) *

(3) Yellows
70 Canary Yellow (front)

T- popcorn[1].gif

Does anyone know the yellow on the other car (with the 5 spoke Fuchs)?

Sunflower Yellow, wub.gif Glenn's former car
T
Literati914
Hey Jesse - If you really do like all of those yellows, I'd pick the one which is not already represented in your area.. I'm in DFW too and I know Scott has a yellow car (but not sure which one exactly). Unless you love a particular one, then go with it anyway. IF I were doing a yellow paint - I'd go with "Signal Yellow", it's got some orange to it and not many around. JMHO. Good luck, hope to meet up in the future.
IPB Image
Wyvern
Don't forget about Rennbow

Rennbow
A great resource.
Betty
QUOTE(jesse7flying @ Nov 10 2016, 03:11 PM) *

...Champagne Yellow...

You liked it on a 912.... maybe you'd like the 914 in that color too?
914e
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 2 2020, 08:39 AM) *

If you’re not going to use OEM color why not pick a yellow from your paint supplier’s book. Don’t limit yourself to a Porsche color.

Everyone knows Porsche already picked the all the best colors. beerchug.gif
jesse7flying
After all this time, I think I've decided to go with orange, like Betty's car. For a while, I was on a "red" tear. Red Carrera, 951 and Boxster. I think that's out of my system now. I thought about going back to OEM blue, but the car has already been modified and I plan to further modify it by putting in retractable seat belts, maybe a center console, etc, so purity is no longer an objective. I still love yellow, but orange has always been the "perfect" color for a 914. Still tied up with other projects so who knows, I might change my mind again. Thanks for all the inputs. Some beautiful cars out there guys!
iamchappy
Signal Yellow is my favorite, everything else is just yellow. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.