Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 transmission reverse goes to 4th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
colinva914
Hello,

I have a 915 transmission with side shifter on my 914 ... transmission grinded a couple of times when going to fourth and then a day later when I put the stick in reverse it actually engages 4th gear - anyone see this before? Thanks in advance.

-Colin
SirAndy
Sounds like the shift linkage came lose on one of the couplers ...
idea.gif
Steve
It does sound like your coupler came out of adjustment. Mine is below the center cushion.
Are you using the stock 915 shifter with reverse lockout?
I'm using a Rennshift and since reverse is below 5th, when shifting from 5th to 4th, I let the shifter move back to the center plane on its own and then shift down to 4th.
It takes a little bit of getting used to, so you don't hit reverse from 5th.
Is yours a velios?
colinva914
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 9 2016, 06:55 PM) *

It does sound like your coupler came out of adjustment. Mine is below the center cushion.
Are you using the stock 915 shifter with reverse lockout?
I'm using a Rennshift and since reverse is below 5th, when shifting from 5th to 4th, I let the shifter move back to the center plane on its own and then shift down to 4th.
It takes a little bit of getting used to, so you don't hit reverse from 5th.
Is yours a velios?

wow - thanks guys for the quick responses much appreciated - I embarrassed to say I am newbie. It's a V8 330ci conversion with a 915 transmission. It just happened and I hadn't had much time to take things apart to look further but I think it may be under the cushion like you mentioned and I'm not sure yet about the lock out option yet. Please look at the pics and let me know if that helps shed light on anything. Thanks!
rhodyguy
Clean car. Very nice!
colinva914
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 9 2016, 10:26 PM) *

Clean car. Very nice!

Thanks man!
Steve
It looks like a velios 915 side shifter kit with a stock 915 shifter. Remove the center cushion, remove the plate and look for an adjuster between the two shift rods. It probably came loose.
colinva914
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 10 2016, 12:38 AM) *

It looks like a velios 915 side shifter kit with a stock 915 shifter. Remove the center cushion, remove the plate and look for an adjuster between the two shift rods. It probably came loose.

will do - thank you
ChrisFoley
We had the car here for a while. There was nothing wrong with the shifter at the time, so we never even looked under the boot on the shift lever.
We changed the gear oil but never pulled the plastic cover off the transmission console.
I also never drove the car very far because it was unregistered at the time.
Colin has driven the car further in 2 weeks than it went in the last 5 years or more.
The car was built by Renegade in the '90s.

I suspect one of the shift rod bushings has failed.
(Colin, when I answered your email I didn't remember all the details of a 915 conversion linkage. Its a little different than I described.)
There is a bushing in the tunnel, accessed by lifting out the flat plate in the console under the shift boot. The bushing is mounted in a bracket that hangs down into the tunnel at the back of the shifter base.
The other bushing is on the firewall, accessed from under the car.
These are both prone to disintegrating unexpectedly when old.

A simple way to look for free play in the linkage (without doing any disassembly) is to have one person hold onto the shift rod under the car while another person operates the shifter inside the car.
colinva914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 10 2016, 09:07 AM) *

We had the car here for a while. There was nothing wrong with the shifter at the time, so we never even looked under the boot on the shift lever.
We changed the gear oil but never pulled the plastic cover off the transmission console.
I also never drove the car very far because it was unregistered at the time.
Colin has driven the car further in 2 weeks than it went in the last 5 years or more.
The car was built by Renegade in the '90s.

I suspect one of the shift rod bushings has failed.
(Colin, when I answered your email I didn't remember all the details of a 915 conversion linkage. Its a little different than I described.)
There is a bushing in the tunnel, accessed by lifting out the flat plate in the console under the shift boot. The bushing is mounted in a bracket that hangs down into the tunnel at the back of the shifter base.
The other bushing is on the firewall, accessed from under the car.
These are both prone to disintegrating unexpectedly when old.

A simple way to look for free play in the linkage (without doing any disassembly) is to have one person hold onto the shift rod under the car while another person operates the shifter inside the car.

thanks Chris! ... I didn't realize it was you on the original reply - appreciate all your help - I will keep you posted on progress
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.