Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stub Hubs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
R_u_dd
I am looking for advice on how to remove the stub Hubs from the trailing arms. There are four 13 mm bolts behind the hub. Is there a special tool to remove them? A socket won't fit and neither will a box wrench. I cut up a socket and welded it to a thin handle and removed one bolt before it broke. Before I destroy more tools I thought I'd ask. Can't find a thread on it. Does the hub push out from the back with a dowel and a mallet? It can't be that difficult...
mjrrti
I took a grinder to a box end wrench and made the box end narrow enough to fit in and get the bolts out but it was a PITA. If you are changing your wheel bearings you can drive the hub out of the bearing from the back but be careful not to buger up the splines inside the hub. I wouldn't reuse bearings that you have driven the hubs out of though. The bearing came apart on one side when I drove the hub out and then I had to get the inside race off the stub afterwards which was also a PITA. I have done it both ways on different cars. If you drive the hubs out the bolts are then easy to get of course. When you go to put it back together use a piece of all thread and some nuts and fender washers to pull the stub back into the bearing. Good luck.
falcor75
The correct sequence is:

1. Press out the hubs.
2. Remove 13 mm bolts and bearing cover.
3. Press out the old bearing.
4. Replace the bearing with a new one and press it into the swingarm
5. Mount the bearing cover and bolts
6. Press the hub into the new bearing.
Done.
ClayPerrine
You have to remove the hubs from the bearing before you can remove the bearing from the trailing arm.

If you have a press, set it up and push the hub out of the bearing.

I have a tool that removes the hub while it is in the car, and also removes the bearing after the bolts are out.

It can also be done with a BFH (Big F***ING Hammer) and a drift, but it will take time. And it can be painful.

Any way you do it, the bearing is scrap. So plan on replacing it.
jimkelly
see this

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...nteresting+find
R_u_dd
Thanks for all the advice guys. As always, very helpful.

I think that I even have the tools in the shop to make the bearing puller.

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.