Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dip Stick schick
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
forrestkhaag
Does anyone know or could anyone show a picture of the correct spot on an original 914-6 dipstick to denote a "full" oil tank. And would a larger motor (than the original) change the place on the dipstick demarking a full oil dose? there is a dot pinched into the stick and three little dotts embossed below that / see pix

thanks

beerchug.gif

mb911
I prefer keeping it closer to the low line.. Engine size has nothing to do with it. The high side could cause for oil all over the. Engine compartment
PanelBilly
Check with the engine running
mb911
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 13 2016, 09:19 AM) *

Yes correct but favor the low side.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Nov 13 2016, 09:19 AM) *

And Hot. 9-10 quarts of oil expands a lot, so definitely shoot for the low side if it's cool. Best is to check it after a good 30 minute spirited run to get all of the oil heated up....like after a DE session! driving.gif
gandalf_025
This is the dip stick on my 70-6

looks like this..

Click to view attachment

forrestkhaag
yes / that is the one I have but not so clear as to the line marking the oil level / is that the low level mark mentioned above?
gandalf_025
Only 1 line on mine... no dimple on it either..??
porschetub
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Nov 14 2016, 01:19 PM) *

yes / that is the one I have but not so clear as to the line marking the oil level / is that the low level mark mentioned above?

Depends what tank you have ,I have proved the marks on the PMS filler/dipstick are useless on a stock tank,maybe ok with their alloy one.
I'am running 8 litres of oil with is over the factory level but I have upgrade filter (OC 61 ) and I have larger hoses and lines,that should be more than enough and I only get a 20mm on the PMS dipstick dry.gif ,way below the bottom mark.
Thinking maybe the 914rubber one is a better option...don't know

fixer34
Mine (3/70) looks the same as the first pictures.

There was another thread going a while back similar to this. ALWAYS check the oil level with it hot (or at least warm) and the engine running. As soon as you shut the engine off, oil will seep back into the engine sump. By the time it's cold, it could be a quart or more. You can very easily overfill the tank.
rudedude
I've always used the 2notches on the bottom as my lower level on 3different 6 cylinder Porsches and have never had any issues
wndsnd
All depends on tank you have, filler neck you have, and stick you have. Not easy,. But the oil does expand alot when up to temperature so I agree, once you have verified what your system is, stick with the lower side, or you will get messy in there.
wndsnd
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 13 2016, 09:09 PM) *

All depends on tank you have, filler neck you have, and stick you have. Not easy,. But the oil does expand alot when up to temperature so I agree, once you have verified what your system is, stick with the lower side, or you will get messy in there.

Sorry I missed you were asking about an original six. Gandalf and others can help.
johnhora
Original 914-6 dip stick...you can see the MAX line

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
The original 6 dipstick I coped didn't have a max mark on it. Perhaps a 911 one?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...914/6&st=25

rudedude
Here are pics of my 70 911 stick, shorter, and longer /6 stick. I believe both to be original to their cars.Click to view attachment
forrestkhaag
As I bought an original 6 tank, filler neck on it and cap with dipstick therein, I am curious to know the measured length of your 914-6 verses 911-6 length is.... / That information will tell me what i am sticked with...
beerchug.gif
rudedude
/6 13 1/16"
911 11 13/16"
Mikey914
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Nov 14 2016, 08:24 AM) *

As I bought an original 6 tank, filler neck on it and cap with dipstick therein, I am curious to know the measured length of your 914-6 verses 911-6 length is.... / That information will tell me what i am sticked with...
beerchug.gif

This looks like the correct 6 dipstick
IronHillRestorations
Put 9 quarts of oil in the system and check the level with the engine running and the car on a flat level spot, before it gets up to operating temp, I'd consider that oil level to be the bottom mark. Note the level and mark the dipstick accordingly. Add another quart and that's your top mark. If you have an external oil cooler you need to add that amount of oil capacity to the 9 quarts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.