Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Bearing Change Out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I went out and got started pulling the hubs and stubs for upgrade. Removal went smooth. Bearings had been frozen for days, so they went in with little effort. I was even able to hand press the bearing 1/2 way in. Used the bearing plate to torque it in. Took the hub and it too went about 1/2 way. Used the stub and nut to suck it in the rest of the way. Hand tested it and it felt good. Went around and did the other side and had an equally good install. Ok, so roll the wheels over and put them on. Spin the tire and everything looks good. Grab the tire and shake it WTF.gif headbang.gif Clunking! So I head around to the other side, same thing only 1/2 as bad as the 1st side. Four hours down the tube!! I just gave up for the day.

I had become of another victim of the poor quality name brand bearing. What a crap shoot. I am going to spend some more money and if seeI can win a the rear wheel bearing roulette.
rudedude
Even with it torqued to 220ft/lbs or so?
914Sixer
Yep, both sides were torqued up correctly.
rudedude
What bearings and where were they produced?
914Sixer
Timken bearings Slovakia

Ordered some FAG's a few minutes ago.
76-914
Hmmm? Your sure they snugged up Mark? beerchug.gif Kent
bdstone914
I see you are using the late 911 hubs. You did add the needed spacer rings, right?
Bruce
914Sixer
Late 911 hubs with 5 mm spacers from Patrick Motorsports on the outboard side of hub.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.