Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Air Conditioning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
Nearly finished with the second incarnation of my air conditioning air box. Stock location, stock vents, stock fan, and no body mods.

This is the continuation of the A/C compressor project thread.
timothy_nd28
Thank you! pray.gif
rfinegan
Woot...look'n GOOD
JmuRiz
WOW, this and 914/6 heaterboxes. You guys are spending my money!
dlee6204
Awesome! thumb3d.gif

Is there any concern with the stock fan not pushing enough air for this to really be effective?
McMark
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Nov 14 2016, 01:30 PM) *

Awesome! thumb3d.gif

Is there any concern with the stock fan not pushing enough air for this to really be effective?

No idea. How would I know? wink.gif We'll see soon enough, and don't forget while the car is in motion there is a high pressure zone pushing air into the air box.

This is how designing custom parts works. You gotta put down the pencil at some point and just build it, then see how it works.
Steve
Is there an option to recirculate the air through it? Otherwise your always competing with the outside air.
Awesome job though!! Are you going to sell any of this ala carte?
timothy_nd28
Also, could you make it big enough to stuff a heater core in?
76-914
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Nov 14 2016, 02:17 PM) *

I'll bet his design is for an Air Sucker so he'll probably keep the stock heat. beerchug.gif
McMark
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Nov 14 2016, 05:17 PM) *

It's possible. But I have a different, and better idea for that.
Luke M
Hey Mark,

I know you're working on a a/c compressor mount for the 6 version but did you happen to see the December Excellence? Check out page 81 there's a neat a/c install off the rear of the alt. Figured I pass this along in case it was missed and another way to get the compressor installed in a 914 w/o cutting into the firewall.
Keep up the great work.
Steve
QUOTE(Luke M @ Nov 15 2016, 11:23 AM) *

Hey Mark,

I know you're working on a a/c compressor mount for the 6 version but did you happen to see the December Excellence? Check out page 81 there's a neat a/c install off the rear of the alt. Figured I pass this along in case it was missed and another way to get the compressor installed in a 914 w/o cutting into the firewall.
Keep up the great work.

Too bad there was no pictures or more information.
db9146
If you look carefully at the photo of the engine in the car on page 81, you can see the AC compressor over near the 1-3 bank of ITBs (blue and red line caps, belt tensioner, pulleys, etc.). He must have had the shaft of the alternator extended through the engine shroud and then mounted the compressor at the back of the engine over the 1,2,3 bank. Never seen that before!

Then you could run the lines to the condensor over in the right rear fenderwell (with a fan for cooling) or even under the engine lid like we've seen on the board here.
Steve
There's a better picture of the engine compartment on Excelence magazines web site.
https://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/242/a...=4#.WCvyNLU76Ec
sixnotfour
that's a really ingenious setup, I like the electric approach..
plenum looks good McMark..

https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/SHM-el...compressor-3753
JmuRiz
There's a guy on the bird board from the UK that's working on a electric compressor system too. That may work (if you get a better alternator)
Steve
The guy from the U.K. Is developing an electric system based on the benling Dm18a7 compressor.
rgalla9146
What a great idea.
It's the only place on a 911 block where there are mounting points that can handle such a load.
I'd like to see that alternator shaft. Or extension. Or however they did it.
It has a serpentine drive for the alternator/AC. Good thing.
Between the electric compressor idea and this there should be good AC for the 6 cylinder cars soon. Fingers crossed !
JmuRiz
MFI pump drive confused24.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Nov 16 2016, 09:50 PM) *

MFI pump drive confused24.gif

MFI is not gonna happen with this set up. No room for both pump and compressor in that area.
The compressor is not driven by the MFI cog belt from the 1-3 cam.
The accel. linkage must be interesting !
bandjoey
$2,000 for the electric compressor + a beefed up electrical system is a little steep. sad.gif
Steve
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 17 2016, 11:58 AM) *

$2,000 for the electric compressor + a beefed up electrical system is a little steep. sad.gif

Yep and from what I have read an electric compressor at 40 amps, will only reduce the temps by 10-12 degrees. So unless you can recirculate the air, you will still be screwed in toasty areas like so cal and Texas
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 17 2016, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Nov 17 2016, 11:58 AM) *

Yep and from what I have read an electric compressor at 40 amps, will only reduce the temps by 10-12 degrees. So unless you can recirculate the air, you will still be screwed in toasty areas like so cal and Texas

Where can the price of the compressor be found ?
A 180 amp alternator is available for air cooled 911 engines, not enough ?
Steve
I have a 3.2 motor. Stock alternator is around 95 amps. So 40 amps wouldn't be a problem. You have to take in account for other stuff you might have on at the same time.
Mowog4
I am looking for suggestions on the cleanest way to route the AC and heater core lines. My evaporator/heater core is in the cowl, similar to Marks. I am Subie powered. I am thinking of running hard line either under the car. The radiator is hoses run under the car. Sorry for hijacking the thread, didn't want to start a new one.

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 14 2016, 10:19 AM) *

Nearly finished with the second incarnation of my air conditioning air box. Stock location, stock vents, stock fan, and no body mods.

This is the continuation of the A/C compressor project thread.

db9146
Hey McMark,

Any update on this? Its gotten hot again.

McMark
Done. Installed and gone. Worked great in the shop here. Don't know if the owner's had a chance to do much testing.

And with my recent retreat from product sales, the only way to get one of these is to have me do the install. sad.gif The existing drawings and part numbers may become available if I ever decide how to distribute all that.
Steve
Classic Retrofit now sells the electric compressor by itself. Just have to build the evaporator. The condenser is the easy part.
http://www.classicretrofit.com/electrocool...ressor-and-ecu/
76-914
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 13 2017, 07:56 AM) *

Classic Retrofit now sells the electric compressor by itself. Just have to build the evaporator. The condenser is the easy part.

Yikes, $2300 US. Too rich for my blood.
db9146
"Don't know if the owner's had a chance to do much testing. "

Can the real owner of this air conditioned 914 please stand up?
Steve
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 13 2017, 08:27 AM) *

I did some homework on this. The Benling compressor is $595.00 wholesale. Street price is anywhere from $995.00 to $1200.00. It has 3 speeds, 40 amp, 60 amp and around 90 amps. Classic retrofit designed a circuit board that selects the speeds automatically based on battery drain, plus has an easy to use button versus the three speed switch. He put allot of R&D in his kit and has to make a profit.
AC is not cheap no matter which way you go.
I have not tried any of the above. Just gathering information.
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 13 2017, 12:53 PM) *

I did some homework on this. The Benling compressor is $595.00 wholesale. Street price is anywhere from $995.00 to $1200.00. It has 3 speeds, 40 amp, 60 amp and around 90 amps. Classic retrofit designed a circuit board that selects the speeds automatically based on battery drain, plus has an easy to use button versus the three speed switch. He put allot of R&D in his kit and has to make a profit.

We have a couple sets on order. They haven't shown up yet.
Jonny Retrofit
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 13 2017, 05:53 PM) *

^ Almost. The 3 speed compressor (even on the lowest speed) will eventually flatten the battery unless you can guarantee > 60A at idle which is near impossible on a standard alternator. On a hot day, the current on the low speed is at least 50A and you need to run the condenser fan (8A) and the blower fan (10A). Been there, done that (2 years ago now)

Anyhow, we use the variable speed compressor. Our bespoke ECU regulates the compressor speed based on a number of factors including the battery voltage, current draw, demanded temperature, actual cabin temperature. evaporator temperature. This gives climate control to within +/- 1 degree C. Don't forget the safety either. We have high and low current protection, an external contactor relay which guarantees isolation of the high current cable.

We have sense lines that can defeat or derate the compressor speed based on whether other accessories are switched on. There are also multiple guarding parameters (e.g. standby and idle timers) that can be configured via USB cable or smartphone. The control is a combined fuzzy logic / PID system. We have 1000's of hours R&D in the ECU and control software alone.

You get the compressor and mounting bracket, a full wiring harness, control switch and loom, contractor relay, the ECU and software updates for life. We are working on a smartphone app at the moment.

mepstein
Here’s are 2nd electric a/c install. Customer lives in Texas and has a/c in almost all of his Porsche’s. Probably 20 in all. This is a very high end build. Probably $300K
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.