Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery Tender
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gfg3
Any problem with using a Battery Tender on my 1.8 FI? I'm always leary about frying something with these old FI systems. Thanks.
Michael N
I have used a Battery Tender on a 74 2.0 FI for years. Not an issue at all and car starts on the first crank every time it is taken out.
thelogo
I always use my battery tender

In conjunction with the battery quick disconnect switch

Very inexpensive and may just prevent the batt from draining down in the 1st place flag.gif

Cal
Dumb question.....I have one of the battery tenders that plug into the lighter from when I had my 964. Can it be used on my '74 914?
Coondog
Spend the money and buy a smart charger.
Click to view attachment
bdstone914
QUOTE(Cal @ Nov 14 2016, 06:59 PM) *

Dumb question.....I have one of the battery tenders that plug into the lighter from when I had my 964. Can it be used on my '74 914?

Yes if the lighter socket is the same size.

And that Porsche one is no NLA so someone will probably pay too much money for it because it says Porsche. Better ones are available.
Rand

It's just 12v dc, it doesn't discriminate. Akin to asking if you could swap batteries.
gfg3
Great. Thanks for the info.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Cal @ Nov 14 2016, 06:59 PM) *

Only if you leave the key in the on position while using it. The lighter on a 914 is switched off when the key is off.

Coondog
delete
Rand
Coondog: This gets a triple WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif ...if you plug your battery tender into your cig lighter then your using your battery to charge your battery...... Am I missing something WTF.gif

You are definitely missing something.

It's not a closed loop. It's 12v going into the system from an external source.
Coondog
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 15 2016, 04:52 PM) *

Coondog: This gets a triple WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif ...if you plug your battery tender into your cig lighter then your using your battery to charge your battery...... Am I missing something WTF.gif

You are definitely missing something.

It's not a closed loop. It's 12v going into the system from an external source.

Yeah I had brain fade blink.gif that's why I deleted my post before anyone else saw how stupid I was...... biggrin.gif
RickS
For maintaining your charge get a Battery Butler. They work great, recommended by the local PCA tech dude and cost less than $20. I have 4 of them, two for cars, one for tractor, and other for generator battery. They are cheap and mine have going for years.

http://www.lectriclimited.com/battery-butler.htm
dlkawashima
If you have an Optima battery, keep this in mind:
  • Float Charge:
    13.2 to 13.8 volts, one amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).
    Strictly adhere to all limits.

A battery charger like the Battery Tender Jr. (0.75 amps) or the Battery Butler above meets the 1 amp max requirement. Many "trickle" chargers do not.
Mark Henry
Interesting note if you buy an Odyssey battery the company retailing them were also pushing a genius smart charger.
If you read the the literature that comes with the Odyssey battery, it states that as long as there's no drain on the battery (ie clock, etc.) their battery should never need charging in storage, in fact they recommend against it.
Their recommendation is to disconnect the battery for storage and that's it.

Of course this is for the odyssey, regular batteries I always charge once a month over the winter, but isn't it a gel cell just like a optima?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.