Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangerine racing shift linkage vs cable shift...?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zach914v8
The stock shift rod that I extended for the v8 conversion is flexing at the joint I welded and every time I adjust the shifter the shift rod bends/flexes at the extension I welded in causing my car to shift like poop.

Tangerine racing has a nice rod set up that looks really tempting to get, but on the other hand the cable shift set up at cableshift.com looks good too.

Anyone here have any experience with either care to chime in about their experience?

Thanks
Zach
VaccaRabite
I have Chris's setup and it is EXCELLENT.

But.

A cable shifter is going to be smoother. Just the nature of the beast.

Zach
zach914v8
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 15 2016, 12:08 PM) *

I have Chris's setup and it is EXCELLENT.

But.

A cable shifter is going to be smoother. Just the nature of the beast.

Zach

With Chris's set up do you get less of the soup spoon shifter feel? If you compare it to the stock set up how does it feel different if you don't mind me asking.
db9146
That cable shifter looks like it approaches the shift forks from above and behind the transmission so that has me wondering:

1) how much space is needed between the trunk floor and the trans and,
2) how mush space is needed behind where the muffler normally resides?

I'd want to see one installed in a 914 I think.
zach914v8
QUOTE(db9146 @ Nov 15 2016, 12:53 PM) *

That cable shifter looks like it approaches the shift forks from above and behind the transmission so that has me wondering:

1) how much space is needed between the trunk floor and the trans and,
2) how mush space is needed behind where the muffler normally resides?

I'd want to see one installed in a 914 I think.

I'd like to see one as well. beer.gif I wish I could remember the name of the user that installed one. Years ago I remember reading about it on some long lost post. I tried searching to no avail.
bobh
Installed the Tangerine shift rod and drastically changed the driveability of my car. Confidence in every shift.The feeling vs.stock shift rod is night & day. Gear selection was problematic since day one so I have no comparison to a properly adjusted and working stock shifter. I think stock shift rod migh have been bent from past abuse. Money well invested!
zach914v8
QUOTE(bobh @ Nov 17 2016, 12:13 AM) *

Installed the Tangerine shift rod and drastically changed the driveability of my car. Confidence in every shift.The feeling vs.stock shift rod is night & day. Gear selection was problematic since day one so I have no comparison to a properly adjusted and working stock shifter. I think stock shift rod migh have been bent from past abuse. Money well invested!

Cool, I think that I am leaning towards the shift rod. Looks nice and simple to install. Thanks for your information.
Beebo Kanelle
Had a perfectly good stock shift and replaced with Chris's shift mechanism when I installed his headers...

Night and day, Chris's shift mechanism is amazing. It feels like the conventional Porsche mechanism (dare I say a classic feel?), but much, much more precise.

Boxster with cable shift feels like a modern car.

Just my 2 cents....
zach914v8
QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Nov 17 2016, 09:17 AM) *

Had a perfectly good stock shift and replaced with Chris's shift mechanism when I installed his headers...

Night and day, Chris's shift mechanism is amazing. It feels like the conventional Porsche mechanism (dare I say a classic feel?), but much, much more precise.

Just my 2 cents....

Hey a fellow Houston guy! Thanks for the info, I think I am going to bite the bullet and get this shifter rod from Tangerine.

If I ever manage to get my car to a point where it will drive with some reliability we should meet up sometime.

Zach
HansJan
QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Nov 17 2016, 09:17 AM) *

Just my 2 cents....

Beebo,
Would you able to show me the tangerine setup you have in your car?
I'm still working on my car, trying to resolve electrical problems.
But better shifting is definitely on my list to Santa. Like to come by and have a look/feel.

The stuff I have gotten from Tangerine so far (clutch cable pulley bracket and fuel supply tubing) is fabricated very well.
Beebo Kanelle
where in Houston are y'all?

I live in Spring Branch

You can give me a call (832) 816- 3968 and come by or, we can meet up.

I'll be happy to show you the shifter.
HansJan
QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Nov 17 2016, 07:41 PM) *

I live in Spring Branch

Sugar Land (about 45 minutes away).
zach914v8
QUOTE(Hans Jan @ Nov 17 2016, 08:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Nov 17 2016, 07:41 PM) *

I live in Spring Branch

Sugar Land (about 45 minutes away).

I am in Meyerland, kinda close to the Galleria. I would love to see this shifter in action myself. I am fairly booked up for the next couple of weekends, but Since I have your number I will call you when my time frees up and take a look at it. Thanks a lot!

Zach

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.