Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DSR update
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
Lots of new fabrication, updating the AMAC chassis to the last revision and adding some outside cockpit bars for protection. Will be putting some super high density foam slices between the cockpit channel and the new chrome moly tubes as well as on the outside of those tubes. Some added protection for hill climbs.

A bunch of work also done in the engine compartment and framing for the differential.

Now have to start the reassembly process. First step is to refinish the aluminum panels that will be (steel riveted) on. In some cases the panels will be epoxied and riveted.

The process I figured out for refinishing the aluminum works really well. Will post some pictures later.

Click to view attachment
Borderline
Looks great, Randal!!! Jose did a good job and quick too!

Now, put it together.
Randal
QUOTE(Borderline @ Nov 15 2016, 04:41 PM) *

Looks great, Randal!!! Jose did a good job and quick too!

Now, put it together.

Yup, that's the plan! smash.gif
Randal
My camera isn't working, but here is the picture of the aluminum plate after I did my burnishing process. Now I have about 100 square feet to do!

Click to view attachment
Cracker
Excellent Randal..glad to see you are making progress!

Here is mine at around your state...posted for inspiration!

I had NOTHING to do with this - easy way out - I just bought it. Your process is much harder but also much more rewarding!

Tony

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(Cracker @ Nov 16 2016, 05:54 AM) *

Excellent Randal..glad to see you are making progress!

Here is mine at around your state...posted for inspiration!

Tony

Beautiful
campbellcj
Wow! I can only aspire to build something like that...
grantsfo
Wow very pretty! Way too pretty for our rag tag hill climbs! Id be afraid to drive that at our Nor Cal Oregon events with dodgy roads. Hoopa is surface falling apart and made me glad I was in heavier Cayman this past year.
Randal
I'm learned a bunch about how to make an aluminum panel look reasonable. It does take work, but can be accomplished.

Here is a pictures of the front alu. panel that I've refinished. Also used SS rivets to hold the panel in place. The fastening of the rivets is another story.

Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 7 2016, 07:40 PM) *

I'm learned a bunch about how to make aluminum panel look reasonable. It does take work, but can be accomplished.

Here is a pictures of the front Alu. panel that I've refinished. Also used SS rivets to hold the panel in place. The fastening of the rivets is a another big story. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Looking at the front from the back.

Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 6 2016, 02:29 PM) *

Wow very pretty! Way too pretty for our rag tag hill climbs! Id be afraid to drive that at our Nor Cal Oregon events with dodgy roads. Hoopa is surface falling apart and made me glad I was in heavier Cayman this past year.

I'm building in some special outboard crunch zones with super high density foam. Not that I'm every planning to go off, but better safe than sorry..
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 7 2016, 07:46 PM) *

I'm building in some special outboard crunch zones with super high density foam. Not that I'm every planning to go off, but better safe than sorry..

Almost all top fast drivers have gone off since I have been driving the series so good to build in protection. I'm thinking of giving up hillclimbs as management of Hoopa is changing this year and I wasn't happy with event last year . Maybe will do Ashland but doubtful.

I may go back to TIme Trials on track. Much safer and controlled environment.
Randal
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 10 2016, 02:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 7 2016, 07:46 PM) *

Almost all top fast drivers have gone off since I have been driving the series so good to build in protection. I'm thinking of giving up hillclimbs as management of Hoopa is changing this year and I wasn't happy with event last year . Maybe will do Ashland but doubtful.

I may go back to TIme Trials on track. Much safer and controlled environment.

I agree with you on Hoopa although you have much more recent experience.

After our UFO friends left, it did seemed to get a bit authoritative. Also the negativity from a few of the locals wasn't much fun, i.e., like the day they put poison oak on the toilet seat of the portable head! Also the road has deteriorated and given the high speeds on several parts of the course, not the best situation.

On the other hand I hope to run Cascade this year if the car is ready. It's a good technical course and the people running the event are great. The road is OK except for the bump after 9 which does upset the car.

It'd be fun to run one or two of the other Northern hill climbs. Not sure which ones to pick?
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
You should try and make Larison Rock in Oakridge Or, as this year will be the 30th anniversary. If you do any SCCA national auto-x events you may be familiar with Bonnie Mueller who hosts this event and has threatened for it to be her last time...(in a joking way).

I've done all the hills on the NHA calendar with the exception of Hoopa and this is the funnest group of people and best run event in my opinion. Also far more technical than Cascade Lakes and none of the goofy cone chicanes. 23 turns, 1.9 mi and 1000 ft of elevation will keep you coming back to try and improve year after year.

The Seattle Porsche Contingent (as we have been called) are planning on attending with 5 cars including 3 914's.
Hope to see you there- the tentative NHA 2017 schedule is out btw.

Andrew
Randal
QUOTE(Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You @ Dec 12 2016, 10:10 AM) *

You should try and make Larison Rock in Oakridge Or, as this year will be the 30th anniversary. If you do any SCCA national auto-x events you may be familiar with Bonnie Mueller who hosts this event and has threatened for it to be her last time...(in a joking way).

I've done all the hills on the NHA calendar with the exception of Hoopa and this is the funnest group of people and best run event in my opinion. Also far more technical than Cascade Lakes and none of the goofy cone chicanes. 23 turns, 1.9 mi and 1000 ft of elevation will keep you coming back to try and improve year after year.

The Seattle Porsche Contingent (as we have been called) are planning on attending with 5 cars including 3 914's.
Hope to see you there- the tentative NHA 2017 schedule is out btw.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Yes, I've heard good things about Larison Rock. Definitely on the ticket; just have to get the car done. Glad to see that 914's are being represented. Sure would like to have run Larison in 222, but it'll be the DSR now.
Cracker
Ok Randal - its been 5-weeks - want more updates! HNY!

Tony
Randal
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 11 2017, 06:07 AM) *

Ok Randal - its been 5-weeks - want more updates! HNY!

Tony

So far about 400 rivets, both stainless and aluminum, have been used to putting on the chassis panels. It came out very nice. Have now moved the frame down to Ted Arken who will be working on the outboard panels and fitting the new body. I'll get some more pictures when I'm down there next.

Right now I'm cleaning and polishing all the suspension parts in anticipation of them going back on. Also all the engine and radiator related stuff.

The wiring harness has now been redone, so that's good.

Just in case anyone is interested, the reason for no pictures is that Apple took all my pictures and put them into various categories. Never asked, just did it. Now I can't find my most recent ones of the DSR. Asshats!
Cracker
Sounds like progress Randal - congratulations!

Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.