Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ball joint replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BillC
I'm going to replace the front ball joints on my '73 914, because one is starting to squeak (diagnosed/confirmed via a mechanic's stethoscope). I've never done this before on a 914, so was hoping y'all might have some advice.

I figure I'm going to need to get new ball joints (part #911-341-049-05) and new grooved ring nuts (# 901-341-425-01). I'm also going to need to get a socket for the grooved ring nuts. Are there any recommended vendors on this forum from whom to purchase these parts, or should I just get them from Pelican?

Also, will I need any other parts? Pelican lists threaded lock pins and lock nuts for the lock pins, and also ball joint lock washers. Will I need those, or can I re-use the existing ones? Anything else I might need, or should replace while I'm in there?

Thanks!
ConeDodger
Ask around about the socket. A buddy with an independent repair shop loaned me one. Saved me $70 or so buying a two time use socket...

As I recall, pretty easy job...
draganc
Check your local pep boys for the pictured tool set.
You can rent it for free!

I just did the same job last week.
1) soak the castle nut with PB blast for at least 1-2 days.
2) use the loaner tools and a 2-3ft brake bar to remove the nut.
I used a BFH and a chisel and bought new castle nuts.
3) install new HW
4) per Haynes manual, slightly lube castle but and torque it
to 180lbs ft.
I was only able to torque it to 140, even with a 3ft bar.
5) Use a new star washer and pin.

Have fun!

Dragan

PS: I used to live in Silver Spring! Fun time.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.