Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT anyone fluent in italian?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
On my Fiat tractor's transmission dipstick, it has the lower mark with the word "Normal" then a capital "F" and the top mark is "Solle Volare".

Pretty sure Volare is Value, but I can't figure out how "Solle" works in this context.
I would imagine "full" or "top", but I don't see any reference to the word in italian to english dictionaries, google ,etc.....

I know likely a stupid detail, but I like to know what words mean, for all I know it means engine will implode into a black hole of death if filled beyond this point. sad.gif
jd74914
In Latin volare means to fly (usually in haste or quickly) and I believe it carries that same meaning over to Italian. But solle...?
Nogoodwithusernames
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 17 2016, 10:51 AM) *

On my Fiat tractor's transmission dipstick, it has the lower mark with the word "Normal" then a capital "F" and the top mark is "Solle Volare".

Pretty sure Volare is Value, but I can't figure out how "Solle" works in this context.
I would imagine "full" or "top", but I don't see any reference to the word in italian to english dictionaries, google ,etc.....

I know likely a stupid detail, but I like to know what words mean, for all I know it means engine will implode into a black hole of death if filled beyond this point. sad.gif

Well according to some friends Italian exchange student Volare is "fly" and doesn't know what "solle" is but "sole" is sun. Sure the transmission is Italian? idea.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Nov 17 2016, 02:16 PM) *

Sure the transmission is Italian? idea.gif

Fiat 640 DT, yes Italian.
Fiats are very popular in europe and asia, sold by White, allis-chalmers, oliver, cockshutt over here.
This is a 1978, this type was built in italy from the mid sixties till early 80's.
2wd version is still built to this day in Pakistan by New Holland-Fiat.

One thing Fiat did well was build tractors since 1918.
Mark Henry
I also got fly for volare, but if you look further in italian finance it means value, I just assumed that like in english the word can have different meanings depending on context.

BTW I have two fiat tractors here, a 540 and mine's a 640, they both have the same transmission dipstick.
bandjoey
Google says Sun Flying.

Volare, oh oh
Cantare, oh oh oh oh
Let's fly way up to the clouds
Away from the maddening crowds
We can sing in the glow of a star that I know of
Where lovers enjoy peace of mind
Let us leave the confusion and all disillusion behind
Just like bird of a feather, a rainbow together we'll find
Frankvw
Does it not say violare ? That would mean violence/break things...more like a warning then....(like violate in english)
Nogoodwithusernames
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 17 2016, 11:36 AM) *

Fiats are very popular in europe and asia, sold by White, allis-chalmers, oliver, cockshutt over here.
This is a 1978, this type was built in italy from the mid sixties till early 80's.

Haha not doubting that the tractor is Italian but I was just wondering if they maybe outsourced parts like VW did with Brasil and Mexico later on.
Sounds like it's all done in Italy though so there goes that theory!
Hope ya figure it out cause now I'm kinda curious!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Nogoodwithusernames @ Nov 17 2016, 03:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 17 2016, 11:36 AM) *

Haha not doubting that the tractor is Italian but I was just wondering if they maybe outsourced parts like VW did with Brasil and Mexico later on.
Sounds like it's all done in Italy though so there goes that theory!
Hope ya figure it out cause now I'm kinda curious!

I thought of that, but I kind of doubt they out sourced beyond italy at that time. Tractors because of size may look complicated, but compared to a car they only have about a third of the parts.
Even the new pakistan fiats are copied directly off of the original plans, not a single change, no problems getting spare parts.
ThePaintedMan
I would think it would be something along the lines of "Hot" or "Warmed up"?
PlantMan
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 17 2016, 11:45 AM) *

I also got fly for volare, but if you look further in italian finance it means value, I just assumed that like in english the word can have different meanings depending on context.

BTW I have two fiat tractors here, a 540 and mine's a 640, they both have the same transmission dipstick.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Show me yours!!!!
bretth
Plymouth Volare?
napasteve
I texted my Italian tractor mechanic and he said the translation is "lift it up". Maybe it's telling you that you need to lift the dipstick up further in order to read it?

I also have an amazingly dependable Fiat tractor (since 1988) model 805c. Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(PlantMan @ Nov 17 2016, 03:49 PM) *

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Show me yours!!!!

Right now I'm all f'ed up on drugs, I just had kidney surgery, I can't figure out how to take a close up picture. sad.gif
And don't worry I'm not doing any real work.
Also warning you in case I'm making little sense.

What i'm doing is installing this front end loader (FEL) the hydraulic fluid and transmission is all the same in a common sump. I'm thinking the sump not really big enough for the added duty of the FEL so I'm going to have to add a extra sump. I think the extra sump has to be lower, or no higher than the full mark on the dipstick.
But I also don't want to lose any ground clearance.

If "Solle Volare" does mean "full hot" then I'll want to use the lower mark.
slotty008
"Sollevare" means lifting but I really do,'t know what solle volare means.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.