Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6 Cylinders here we come
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coondog
Pulled the plug today and purchased a 1986 3.2 motor. 114,000 miles. Will have motor gone through and start the process of getting everything I need for a smooth install. Hope to be done by the Route 66 run.

Got my inspiration from MoveQik, his car and 3.2 install is a work of art.... smile.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 18 2016, 12:34 PM) *

Pulled the plug today and purchased a 1986 3.2 motor. 114,000 miles. Will have motor gone through and start the process of getting everything I need for a smooth install. Hope to be done by the Route 66 run.

Got my inspiration from MoveQik, his car and 3.2 install is a work of art.... smile.gif

Congrats.. It will be well worth it.
Steve
Congrats!!! Love my 3.2
ConeDodger
Love mine! biggrin.gif

Did you get to see the motor run? Since it's out, at a minimum you should reseal it and set the valves. Common problems are valve guides and if you saw it run, you'd know if it smokes... they can also pull head studs but far less common than the 2.7 and less often than the 3.0...

What are 3.2 motors going for these days? I heard in the $15K range? blink.gif
Coondog
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 18 2016, 06:12 PM) *

Love mine! biggrin.gif

Did you get to see the motor run? Since it's out, at a minimum you should reseal it and set the valves. Common problems are valve guides and if you saw it run, you'd know if it smokes... they can also pull head studs but far less common than the 2.7 and less often than the 3.0...

What are 3.2 motors going for these days? I heard in the $15K range? blink.gif

Picked it up for 8.5K. Includes all fuel injection components and Elec including tach. Motor is being rebuilt by Patrick motorsports. I know there not the cheapest but they are one of the best.
Rand
I know, sacrilege, but dang, doesn't an LS engine compute better now?

Power, weight, cost. Do the math.
Coondog
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 18 2016, 06:36 PM) *

I have been a fan of Renagade Hybrids for 20 plus years. I spent some time at there shop last year and was leaning in that direction. I can't believe I am saying this but a 300 plus HP 914 sounds like a blast but I want to relax while driving and not feel like a Lion tamer every time i get in it........FUCH I am getting old....

As I am already stupid upside down in this car 5 lug/911 suspension etc.ect.ect I decided to stay on the Porsche track and if ever the time comes to sell at least i have a motor that's not a dime a dozen.....

Also Patrick is 10K cheaper then Renagades quote for a turn key job.....
mepstein
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 18 2016, 09:36 PM) *

The math makes sense but it looses something when you put in something other than an air cooled Porsche engine. I don't mean that in a bad way but if it was just about the money and making sense, we would just drive modern cars.
Catorse

It's not "sacrilege" It's just a friggin car. Having said that, there are very few things as sweet as a nice Porsche flat 6. The chevy doesn't do it for me, even though it is in many respects a superior engine.
Rand
Just throwing out thoughts. Truth is, I we all want a Porsche six. But cost/performance ratio makes us consider other options. Considering cost and weight, sadly, no Porsche engine can compare to GM's LS powerplants. I want a Porsche 6. But when does want for something overpower what makes monetary sense?

Steve
QUOTE(Coondog @ Nov 18 2016, 06:51 PM) *

I have been a fan of Renagade Hybrids for 20 plus years. I spent some time at there shop last year and was leaning in that direction. I can't believe I am saying this but a 300 plus HP 914 sounds like a blast but I want to relax while driving and not feel like a Lion tamer every time i get in it........FUCH I am getting old....

As I am already stupid upside down in this car 5 lug/911 suspension etc.ect.ect I decided to stay on the Porsche track and if ever the time comes to sell at least i have a motor that's not a dime a dozen.....

Also Patrick is 10K cheaper then Renagades quote for a turn key job.....

I resemble that remark.... I'm 56 and the 3.2 with matching 915 gear box is an awesome cruiser. Lots of fun, but also a relaxing cruiser with tons of torque. My previous 2.7 with webers and 901 gear box, was not as fast, but was faster reving and more obnoxious. The 3.2 with stock injection is a welcome change, but I miss the sound of the webers on the 2.7, but I don't miss the hastle.
thelogo
Saying that the LS is a superior engine is correct as far as
Output

But how about center of gravity that is a trademark of these cars

Just saying if zuffenhausen wanted a v6 v8 etc

In there rear engine mid engine cars they would have built em already flag.gif beer3.gif
matthepcat
I love a sweet sounding 6, but sadly it's becoming a rich mans quest....

My last 6 engine 914 sounded sweeeet... but the cash was worth more than the sound.
Steve
Um the 918 is also a v8. The 918 is also not an old school push rod motor. I also like the v8 914's too. Reminds me of a budget Pantera. Wish I had the space and could afford both. Since I was a kid I always wanted a 916. The 3.2 with 916 trans is the closest I will ever come to one and arguably my car is a better than a 916.
falcor75
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 19 2016, 03:58 AM) *

The math makes sense but it looses something when you put in something other than an air cooled Porsche engine. I don't mean that in a bad way but if it was just about the money and making sense, we would just drive modern cars.

I agree, its just not the same thing anymore...

Plus I dont care much for the V8 sound, flat 6, inline 6 or straight 5's do it for me. biggrin.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Nov 19 2016, 12:39 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 19 2016, 03:58 AM) *

I agree, its just not the same thing anymore...

Plus I dont care much for the V8 sound, flat 6, inline 6 or straight 5's do it for me. biggrin.gif

It's absolutely not the same thing anymore - it's a hybrid that when it's prepared properly is a blast to drive and ride in! A lot of us here in the States grew up with V8s singing in our ears, driving our butts into the seat backs while listening to the latest rock with our girls by our sides. It's a throwback sound in a different chassis that handles SO much better that our old musclecars... I think it's an American thing! aktion035.gif
Cairo94507
Coondog - Congratulations on your 3,2 purchase. PMS building the motor has got to have you excited too. Please see if they can take progress photos of their build to send to you to post so we can all enjoy what I know will be an exceptional engine build. beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
Not the cheapest option, but the best choice for the long term. You'll love it! Be sure to wear some "Depends" for that first drive smile.gif
914dave
I'm right there with ya. Finishing up the detailing for the install. Will back it up with a 915. Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
914dave - Sweet! You're going to address the rust on that pulley, right? biggrin.gif
914dave
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 19 2016, 03:08 PM) *

914dave - Sweet! You're going to address the rust on that pulley, right? biggrin.gif

Hehehe. Yes I am. Just setting the belt tension. Can't have any rusty bits!!
Steve
Without a firewall pad, it's still easy to adjust the belt and get to the shims. No need to cut a hole in the firewall.
914dave
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 19 2016, 03:37 PM) *

Without a firewall pad, it's still easy to adjust the belt and get to the shims. No need to cut a hole in the firewall.

Thanks. Good to know. I was going to have it all set before it goes in. No pad in my car. Wasn't planning on cutting a hole since the timing is set with the crank sensors.
Speaking of which, I'm researching how to set the clearance on them now.
Steve
QUOTE(914dave @ Nov 19 2016, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 19 2016, 03:37 PM) *

Thanks. Good to know. I was going to have it all set before it goes in. No pad in my car.

I had to get creative with a socket wrench from harbor freight. The head swivels up and down and is just the right angle to get around the fan shroud.
porschetub
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 20 2016, 09:08 AM) *

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

Really there is nothing like a six aircooled engine.....
raynekat
QUOTE(914dave @ Nov 19 2016, 11:07 AM) *

I'm right there with ya. Finishing up the detailing for the install. Will back it up with a 915. Click to view attachment

Only other thing I'd do is paint that coil!
No blue coil belongs on a proper 911 engine. wink.gif
Give it a quick coat of black and add some appropriate decals and you'll have thus:
Click to view attachment
Coondog
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 19 2016, 12:37 PM) *

Good call, I have a perfect pad but was thinking it would make for a tight squeeze.
wndsnd
Mr. Dog,

Here is some motivation for you. Shot this today.

Its pretty long but you will get the gist after a minute or so.

Good luck with your conversion!

https://youtu.be/BaoZx6HfnD8

blue914.jpg

914dave
QUOTE(raynekat @ Nov 19 2016, 05:56 PM) *

QUOTE(914dave @ Nov 19 2016, 11:07 AM) *

Only other thing I'd do is paint that coil!
No blue coil belongs on a proper 911 engine. wink.gif
Give it a quick coat of black and add some appropriate decals and you'll have thus:
Click to view attachment

You guys are very helpful! hehe

Wndsnd, your video got me all fired up!!!
Coondog
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Nov 19 2016, 03:16 PM) *

Mr. Dog,

Here is some motivation for you. Shot this today.

Its pretty long but you will get the gist after a minute or so.

Good luck with your conversion!

https://youtu.be/BaoZx6HfnD8

blue914.jpg

Sign me up...........That's how a 914 is supposed to sound. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.