Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying To Figure Out Why She Won't Start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OGmikey914
Between work and the crappy Oregon weather I have not had a chance to get my car out in the last month. I went out to start it up and take it around the block for a spin and now she won't start sad.gif

When I put the key in the ignition I seem to be getting full battery power and I can hear the blower motors running and the fuel pump running but when I turn the ignition I get a light clicking sound with no action.

Any tips/ideas?

It's a 73' Fuel injected 2056
stugray
Step 1 - Smack the starter with a crescent wrench while someone cranks it.

If that does not work

Step 2 - Make sure car is out of gear & Short across the two terminals on the starter/solenoid with an old screwdriver (you do not need someone to turn the key while trying this one). If the starter works and spins the engine, it is your ignition switch.
Rand
Clicking without cranking: A majority of the time, cleaning battery terminals will fix it.
injunmort
get a set of jumper cables and jump it. clicking no cranking, flat battery.
Rand
Agree, quick tests are the best! Do the jump start. But with everything else powering up and the "click" on start attempt... clean your battery posts before swapping batteries. A flat battery doesn't run accessories and "click" when starter engaged. Seriously, I'd bet a dollar that cleaning battery posts/terminals will fix it.
Frankvw
Maybe check the thinner wire with the small connector going on to the starter. It might have a bad contact or is loose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.