Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who repairs oil coolers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
Looking for someone in Northern California that can repair an oil cooler.

All help appreciated.
Mikey914
I've had my local radiator shop do it. They even pressure tested it.
Randal
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 19 2016, 03:07 PM) *

I've had my local radiator shop do it. They even pressure tested it.

So a local radiator shop will repair an OIL cooler. I thought the oil would cause issues with their pressure systems?
Elliot Cannon
These guys are down south but are very good. http://oilcoolers.com/
bdstone914
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 19 2016, 04:58 PM) *

All help appreciated.

What kind of cooler and what is the repair needed?
Many are not repairable?
stugray
I have a hard time believing you can get a repair done for less than $63:

http://www.partsgeek.com/z4mzhxc-porsche-9...N9OthoCYsTw_wcB

Randal
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 19 2016, 05:42 PM) *

All help appreciated.

Many are not repairable?

This is not off a 914 or my race car. It is off a tractor. A CAT D4 Hydrostat. Very big! Cracked and leaking from the bottom, but difficult to see.

I figured that if they can be fixed this one is not much different other that being big.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 19 2016, 09:33 PM) *

[quote name='bdstone914' post='2425003'

This is off a tractor. A CAT D4 Hydrostat. Very big! Cracked and leaking from the bottom.

Is it steel, alumunum or copper?
Depends on the style of cooler and where the crack is. If is in a tank they can usually repair it if they can get to it. Make sure they know what they are doing if they have to weld or braze it. It should be cleaned and have nitrogen flowing through it while welding to prevent turning and oil into carbon that could contaminate the system.
Randal
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 19 2016, 07:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 19 2016, 09:33 PM) *

[quote name='bdstone914' post='2425003'

This is off a tractor. A CAT D4 Hydrostat. Very big! Cracked and leaking from the bottom.

Is it steel, alumunum or copper?
Depends on the style of cooler and where the crack is. If is in a tank they can usually repair it if they can get to it. Make sure they know what they are doing if they have to weld or braze it. It should be cleaned and have nitrogen flowing through it while welding to prevent turning and oil into carbon that could contaminate the system.

It is heavy, so thinking copper or steel. I believe they will be able to get at the leak as we could see it from below, but it's right where the fins enter the lower solid assembly.

Thanks for the advice about nitrogen.

I shutter to think what one of these puppies would cost from CAT new.
porschetub
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 20 2016, 02:42 PM) *

All help appreciated.

Many are not repairable?

My thoughts too,not much can be done,just been through this with my 911 engine cooler ,popped and leaked pressure test revealed no area to be repaired but massive leak when I pressure tested it @ only 20 PSI.
What ever engine they are off they aren't easy to repair.
Randal
Thanks for all the help.

As it turns out Peterson CAT in San Leandro said to take the (steel) oil cooler to the place in Hayward that repairs theirs. They recommended the place highly. I'll get the name and post it shortly.

Unfortunately the steel oil cooler was shot, so time to buy an aftermarket one or a new one from CAT ($2,100).
Randal
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 22 2016, 08:25 AM) *

Thanks for all the help.

As it turns out Peterson CAT in San Leandro said to take the (steel) oil cooler to the place in Hayward that repairs theirs. They recommended the place highly. I'll get the name and post it shortly.

Unfortunately the steel oil cooler was shot, so time to buy an aftermarket one or a new one from CAT ($2,100).

The place that will repair oil coolers is Pankeys in Hayward.

http://pankeysradiator.com/
Mueller
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 22 2016, 08:25 AM) *

Thanks for all the help.

We just hired a mechanic from that CAT location, I'll ask him today if he knows how to get discounts or an alternative source.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.