Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Odometer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
The odometer quit working, both the total and the trip. The speedometer works fine. How does it work? How do I isolate the problem and fix it? Is there something that typically breaks? A cable, a sender, the gauge itself? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
JWest
It's a gear in the speedo that (typically) loosens on its shaft. There might be a tech article - let me look.

Here it is:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/M...auge_repair.htm
mskala
That failure of the gear that is just a press-fit eventually
happens to everybody. It did it on all the cars I've had,
and I decided I didn't want to go back in again, so I got
extreme and used a really small drill to pin the gear to
the shaft.
SirAndy
check the cable first ...

unscrew it from the gauge and see if you can turn it by hand.
if yes, it's broken ...

Andy
Lawrence
If your speedo cable checks out, then look at your speedo angle drive. It's on the back end of the transmission. It pulls out easily, after loosening the nut.

Remove it, and turn one end, and check resistance on the other side. There should be very little lash on a good angle drive.

They're cheap. Don't buy a used one. Odds are, it'll be as old as the one you're replacing.
Demick
Hey guys - the speedo is working - just not the odometer. So the cable and angle drive are fine. Problem is internal. Mine did this and I followed the pelican article. Pretty easy to do and fixed it perfectly.

Demick
Lawrence
Who cares? It's an opportunity to take apart your car!!! boldblue.gif
jfort
you guys are too much. great info. thanks. i'll try the repair when i have some time
SirAndy
didn't read the post correctly sad.gif

speedo still working, odo kaputt ...
that means problem is inside the gauge ...

Andy
nomore4
Fixed mine following the pelican article. Put in a Bugs sticker while it was apart. cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.