Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking about selling my 911
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
Well, it looks like the time has come to part with my investment vehicle. I call it that because all it does is sit around and appreciate, and I've always figured that if I get in a tight spot that I could sell it for a decent amount. I'm currently unemployed and running out of cash, so I think it's time to let it go.

I'm trying to come up with a reasonable price for it.

It's a 1973 911T targa that was updated in the late 70's with a black Targa hoop, tea tray spoiler, and rear update with reflector and such. It has what looks like a 2.7 with 40 IDA3C carbs, but it may have a big bore kit since I was told that it was a 3.0 when I bought it years ago. It also has a 901 transmission.

It's been sitting for a while, like 15 years, but I had some work done to it and had it running when I worked at AA a couple of years ago. It got to where I'd didn't want to fire up, and then the starter went out, and I let it sit again.

The body is in pretty good shape, besides rust spots on the rear wheel arches, and a few bubbles here and there. The top is in bad shape, but still attaches. The drivers side window mechanism isn't working, neither is the speedometer.

I'll post pictures after this post, I need to clean it up first.
ripper911
Here are a few older pictures. It has the BBS wheels, with a Fuchs on the spare.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
mepstein
looks like around $14-15K
ripper911
Looking at what's on eBay right now makes me think that I should ask a little more than that for it. I was thinking about starting it at $20-25K. It's in much better shape than the black one listed for $29K.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=1973+por...qp=1973+porsche
mepstein
You should be looking at sold prices of targas, not asking prices of coupes.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 20 2016, 03:06 PM) *

You should be looking at sold prices of targas, not asking prices of coupes.

agree.gif

Targa 911 are a niche market.
Sorry about your situation. After looking at the a/c mount and cd boot. I belive its a 2.7 with an updated fan. Good luck with sale.
ssuperflyoldguy
You should ask what everyone else is asking. You'll get more if it's running and can drive up onto a transport. Bay Area $ are the highest. Los Angeles is a little less. Not the most desirable small bumper/longnose year but in the hottest bunch of 911's now. Doesn't matter if Targa but not quite as popular. I'd rather have targa than not. Already has flares so good Outlaw candidate. I wouldn't let it go for less than $25k. Figure out what you can part it out for, that's the ultimate number

Oops, doesn't have flares so even better actually. Narrow body, long nose is where it is at. Targa or not.
GeorgeRud
Try listing it on 'Bring a Trailer' for good exposure to the group that might be interested. My friend sold his Mini race car for twice what he thought it would bring through them after sitting for months listed in magazines.
RickS
Using the Haggerty Valuation tool, its in the $25K to $29K range, but the rust issue, and non-original rear, targa bar, rear lid and wheels will hurt it. I would say low to mid 20s. Good luck.

The other posters suggestion on BAT is a good one.
Cairo94507
Ripper911 - Sorry to hear of your situation. List that puppy on eBay with a higher reserve to make sure you net what you think you should. Heck it won't hurt to see what happens there. BAT is a great suggestion as well. Post some pics in the usual classified sections, Pelican, Rennlist, 6speedonline, etc. To bad you can't get it running and driving; I think that may hurt your ultimate sale price. Best wishes and GLWTS.
ripper911
The rust isn't bad. Compared to most cars I've had it's hardly worth mentioning. The blisters in the wheel arches are probably from running tires that are too large, or that's what I've heard. And, I've noticed a few bubbles at the bottom of the doors, but I think it's solid except for that.
bdstone914
Sorry to here your situation but do not know a prospective buyer why you are selling it.
They will only leverage that against you. Get it running and it will bring more. Good luck.
ripper911
Yeah, it should run. I could get a new starter and try to get it going. The carbs were rebuilt, and a lot of cleaning and refreshing, when I was at AA, and I drove it some then.
infraredcalvin
I'm more with the negative crowd as to the value of the car - 15-20k is probably close per the description you've given. I think you may be leaving $$$ on the table without more through info on the car. Hagerty is really optimistic with their values, and most people overrate the condition of their car anyway.

If you list on BAT, better be sure you've got thick skin, as those in the know and many more who think they're in the know will tear up your car in the comments.

I hate to say this, but list on eBay with a high reserve to check the market, then see if you can live with the price. Then put up on BAT with a realistic reserve.

With a non running engine (assuming it's a non numbers matching). You have an unknown 2.7 core and a 73 targa body that needs a full resto.
Chris914n6
I say fix it since you seem to have free time. Probably worth $100 an hour to you get it to daily driver condition.
sixnotfour
73 should have a 915 transmission...... GLWS
mountainroads
Sorry to hear that "necessity" forces the sale.

Don't forget early911sregistry.org. (Generally) good group of "guys" and target visibility. That's how the guy who bought my '71 'E' found me. GLWS.

- MR
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.